Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually hope Tesla partners with Irving and places the Superchargers at Big Stops.

Those would be convenient locations, but Tesla now generally expects partners to share some of the costs. I'm not sure that Irving is willing to do that. In the case of CHAdeMO being installed at some Irvings, it appears Irving only provided the land. NB Power and Ottawa seem to have assumed all of the out-of-pocket expenses.

The Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth is a potential site, since its owner, Ivanhoe Cambridge, is host of at least four Supercharger sites in the West. (Edmonton, Calgary, Nanaimo, and Tsawwassen).

The massive real-estate company RioCan appears to have partnered with Tesla on the Kelowna site, though they've since sold the shopping mall involved. RioCan has three properties in New Brunswick, though only the Fredericton location is near a projected Supercharger location.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Those would be convenient locations, but Tesla now generally expects partners to share some of the costs. I'm not sure that Irving is willing to do that. In the case of CHAdeMO being installed at some Irvings, it appears Irving only provided the land. NB Power and Ottawa seem to have assumed all of the out-of-pocket expenses.

My understanding was Tesla only asks the landowner to maintain the area - snow removal, keep the area clean and clear of debris, etc. although I'm sure there are many rather unique arrangements all over the world.

The Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth is a potential site, since its owner, Ivanhoe Cambridge, is host of at least four Supercharger sites in the West. (Edmonton, Calgary, Nanaimo, and Tsawwassen).

The massive real-estate company RioCan appears to have partnered with Tesla on the Kelowna site, though they've since sold the shopping mall involved. RioCan has three properties in New Brunswick, though only the Fredericton location is near a projected Supercharger location.
Only if they can keep their security guys out of the spots. :p
They’ve got a L2 on site, but you have to the security car moved in order to access it. I don’t like trying to get to MicMac, the entrance and exit ramps are a PITA.

• Funny
Reactions: RiverBrick
Do you not have charging at home? Why would you ever need any HRM-based Supercharger?

You know, I've been thinking about this, in relation to the VW announcement about putting DC fast chargers at Walmarts.

Chargers at Walmarts might not make much sense for long distance trips, at least in many locations.

It might only make sense as an "electric gas station" kind of concept, which of course most current EV drivers think is dumb.

But I have been thinking that the ICE world doesn't realize that EVs are largely better than ICE vehicles BECAUSE of charging -- they think the slower "fill up" time is a down side, because they don't realize that 95+% of the time, EVs "fill up" at home, which makes the time it takes irrelevant. And, of course, if you remove 95+% of your trips to the gas station, you've actually improved your life.

But it hit me when I was thinking about the Walmart announcement that maybe the ICE world isn't completely wrong-headed about this.

Many people live and will continue to live for the foreseeable future in accommodations where they have no ability to install charging at home, or where it would be cost prohibitive for them to do so.

They continue to see the world from an ICE perspective where they treat charging like a trip to the gas station. But maybe, for them, they're not wrong. In that light, Walmart chargers or urban superchargers make as much sense as any other location probably. For some people in the HRM, presumably that will apply.

I would sacrifice a lot to put in a home charger if I lived in Halifax. But some people probably can't. So the fact that they haven't realized the amazing benefits of home charging might not make them wrong; they might just be realistic. In which case a supercharger in the HRM makes great sense for them.

This is all just me thinking as I type really, to admit that maybe some of the really dumb decisions by infrastructure people to treat EV chargers like "gas stations" isn't so wrong after all, in the short term. Maybe we do need these "gas station-esque" chargers in places that are not on highways. Shrug.

There is a beautiful Big Stop in Enfield between Halifax and the airport and another huge one in Aulac which makes a ton of sense to me because it is an interchange between NS, NB and PEI. You can also get to Woodstock from Aulac and from Woodstock you can get to Riviere du Loup or Brewer and then you're golden.

I'm down with Aulac, but the 327 km from Aulac to Woodstock, in a 75D, in the winter, at the highway speeds most people drive, would be cutting it very close to the maximum range, if you could make it at all. With the hills around the Quebec border, Woodstock to R-du-Loup is the same problem.

In the summer these would be non-issues if you maxed out at the supercharger, but maxing out is a drag.

NB Power has its DC fast charge stations, but they are *sugar*, frankly, with basically 37kW rate.

I suppose you could max out at Aulac, stop at Fredericton for some slow NB Power, then hobble in to Woodstock. Then repeat from there to Quebec.

Realistically, Tesla's planned superchargers in the Maritimes (Halifax, Truro, Moncton, Fredericton, Woodstock, Edmundston) are the bare minimum to get people comfortably to and from Halifax on the Transcanada in all seasons at 110 km/hr.

A gray Model 3 with California manufacturer plates was at the Riviere-du-Loup Supercharger last Sunday. The driver said he was headed to New Brunswick.

Speculation: The 3 could be part of a sales pitch to secure Supercharger sites in the Maritimes. I stopped at a newly opened Supercharger site in Kansas in 2014 and the business owner came out to chat. He said Tesla's line at the time was that the eventual arrival of the Model 3 would mean lots of business for him.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Or they could be doing range trials to see where they need to locate those SCs.
Not necessary given the myriad of factors determining consumption: speed, temperature, wind, passenger and cargo weight, roof racks or bike racks, trailers, etc. Long term we need a SC at 100km intervals or less, meaning the bear minimum for the short term is roughly double that.

Anyone know how the Nova Scotia Power energy storage partnership with Tesla is going?

The better that relationship is, the quicker Superchargers could come to NS. Having the local utility onboard helps with local permitting and prevents long delays for the final hookup to the grid when Tesla's part of the installation is done.

Anyone know how the Nova Scotia Power energy storage partnership with Tesla is going?

The better that relationship is, the quicker Superchargers could come to NS. Having the local utility onboard helps with local permitting and prevents long delays for the final hookup to the grid when Tesla's part of the installation is done.

Not much news on that lately but I did drive out to Elsmdale to see it for myself shortly after it was announced back in February (any excuse to go for a drive) and even though it was a Sunday there were a couple of guys working. I briefly chatted with one of them and he told me that once it goes online it will monitored entirely by Tesla remotely which I found interesting. BSaaS - battery storage as a service? ;-)

• Helpful
Reactions: RiverBrick
Not necessary given the myriad of factors determining consumption: speed, temperature, wind, passenger and cargo weight, roof racks or bike racks, trailers, etc. Long term we need a SC at 100km intervals or less, meaning the bear minimum for the short term is roughly double that.
It may not be needed, but it is a good idea to actually travel the route to be sure there aren’t any unforeseen issues. For example, having a section of road near an inlet that floods regularly, or a series of open fields nearby that subject the road to serious crosswinds.

@Doug_G seen there the Tesla map is progressively taking its’ new form, and that we are expecting Superchargers in NB and NS soon, I think it would be a good time to place this as a Sticky Thread.
1ADE4E4B-E6BD-404B-8AD9-40DA5D9208E1.jpeg

Basically, this area would contain New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I., Newfoundland & Labrador (<= probably never) and even St-Pierre et Miquelon (<= absolutely never)