Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent an email and gave them the 3 must haves for north nb, Campbellton, Bathurst and Miramichi.
Got a polite response.

I would be surprised if they installed Superchargers on secondary roads anytime soon in NB, but I could be wrong.

There are 50x, maybe 100x more Teslas in Quebec than in NB and you don't see movement on sites that aren't on major highways there. Some examples of inaction would be Mont-Joli for the Gaspé peninsula, Forestville for the North Coast, and Mont-Laurier for Abitibi.

Heck, even sites on autoroutes that were on the 2017 or 2018 maps are not getting done. Chicoutimi, l'Étape, St-Georges-de-Beauce, La Pocatiere, Ste-Therèse, St-Sauveur, Lachute, Sherbrooke, Lebourgneuf and Gatineau.

Quebec's sales lead will likely remain due to higher population, the highest rebate on EVs in the nation, cheap electricity and the highest percentage of people believing in climate change in Canada. To top it off, Tesla makes additional profit on sales in Quebec thanks to ZEV credits. (Chrysler is a likely buyer of such credits). As of last year, Quebec was the only province to adopt ZEV regulation similar to that in California and ten other States.

So, as long as Tesla doesn't see the need or have the budget to serve many regions of Quebec, I don't see them expanding Supercharger presence in NB.

I would be surprised if they installed Superchargers on secondary roads anytime soon in NB, but I could be wrong.

There are 50x, maybe 100x more Teslas in Quebec than in NB and you don't see movement on sites that aren't on major highways there. Some examples of inaction would be Mont-Joli for the Gaspé peninsula, Forestville for the North Coast, and Mont-Laurier for Abitibi.

Heck, even sites on autoroutes that were on the 2017 or 2018 maps are not getting done. Chicoutimi, l'Étape, St-Georges-de-Beauce, La Pocatiere, Ste-Therèse, St-Sauveur, Lachute, Sherbrooke, Lebourgneuf and Gatineau.

Quebec's sales lead will likely remain due to higher population, the highest rebate on EVs in the nation, cheap electricity and the highest percentage of people believing in climate change in Canada. To top it off, Tesla makes additional profit on sales in Quebec thanks to ZEV credits. (Chrysler is a likely buyer of such credits). As of last year, Quebec was the only province to adopt ZEV regulation similar to that in California and ten other States.

So, as long as Tesla doesn't see the need or have the budget to serve many regions of Quebec, I don't see them expanding Supercharger presence in NB.

There is probably more like 200 times more but keep in mind that most of them are already within reach of a supercharger. If you left Montreal for example and wanted to go to Lachute, it's really not a far stretch, you could easily make it there and back even on the lowest range Tesla. I agree that Chicoutimi/Saguenay should have one because it's a decent population base and the closest one is far enough away you'd have trouble making the trip in a lower range model. The rest of the ones you noted, I'm sure do have ample population to justify but they are at least within reach of a charger now. The difference here is that even with my long range 3 I can't make it from Fredericton to Bathurst and back on a charge. I have to rely on another charging network to make that trip happen regardless how well I plan. I think at least it would be nice to have one in Miramichi, this would at least enable us to hit the Northern population base but I'm not holding my breath, I was simply theorizing what possible pull Irving might have in Supercharger locations. My hope is that at the least is that they extend the network to enable Supercharging to Newfoundland. Also one on PEI would be nice.

The difference here is that even with my long range 3 I can't make it from Fredericton to Bathurst and back on a charge.

I hope you get Superchargers everywhere you'd like them sooner rather than later, but the difference you mention isn't there.

You cannot go from Montreal or Quebec City to a ton of places in province and back without recharging off the Supercharger Network.

Baie-Comeau, Sept-Iles, Val-d'Or, Amos, Chicoutimi, Lac-St-Jean and Gaspé, for example. The climate in some of those places is even colder than in NB.

Sort of. The problem is that most people aren't going to be taking their Tesla to places that are difficult to get to due to lack of superchargers. If they're determined to go there then many will fly, go by train, or take a different car (ICEV), etc. So by tracking where people are driving their cars, yes, Tesla'll get lots of data. But conclusions based only on them are going to be highly susceptible to Survivorship Bias. Tesla also needs to be asking where aren't people driving their Teslas but would like to or otherwise be expected to in decent numbers. That's a much more difficult question to answer based solely on the data Tesla has internally available. Which is why feedback and suggestions/requests from owners should be a valuable resource.
They do have location data with the Tesla app. The really interesting data would be to see where people go with their phones but without their Teslas.

Reactions: mociaf9
Personally I would not be happy if Tesla was collecting location data on my phone when the app is not active - I have it set to only use Location while active.

And where I go without my Tesla says nothing about where I would want to drive my Tesla. I travel to Cape Breton Island 2-3 times per year but I have no interest in ever driving there. Last winter I went to Florida three times but I have no interest in ever driving to Florida.

"near Cape Breton" is a pretty broad area ;)

That would be good to see for folks from Halifax who want to head up to Canada but it is not of much use to me unless you could rent Teslas for a reasonable price at YHZ. Even that wouldn't be necessary if the locals would smarten up and allow an airport to be built in Inverness!

Toronto is the centre of the universe of course, but it should be noted that Halifax is actually in Canada.

In Nova Scotia everyone we met said we would love Newfoundland. But none of them had ever been there! They all said it was on their wish list.

And since we've been in Newfoundland we've met dozens of people from Ontario, but no one from Nova Scotia.

• Funny
Reactions: RedSafari
D'Oh! I meant to say head up to Cape Breton rather than head up to Canada.
I am a transplanted Bluenoser who drives “down” to NS, and back “up” to Ontario once or twice a year in our Tesla. We go “over” to PEI but “down” to Cape Breton. I have never driven “over” to Newfoundland but have flown there. I guess we always figure the farther east one goes, one is going down, unless one is going over water to an island. We plan on giving our Volt to our son “out” in B.C, and will drive it “out” to him at sometime. Strange how perceptions work. When someone who grew up in Ontario goes from “up” in Upper Canada “down” east, I wonder how they phrase it.

• Funny
Reactions: shonline
The Woodstock, NB Supercharger station is almost ready, it seems. It is on the west side of the Irving station on Beardsley Rd.

Attachments

• IMG_20190831_104258.jpg
    IMG_20190831_104258.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 80