Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won’t be started until New Minas is completed. One crew, only one install gets worked on at a time.
I drive by the New Minas one daily... getting very close to completion. Over the winter they ploughed snow up against it and it was the last spot in the lot to melt. People there regularly working on it now though so it has to be ready soon. I see they updated the date to Q2 2022 on tesla.com. Like it was said above, desperately need one on the Cape Breton corridor.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I drive by the New Minas one daily... getting very close to completion. Over the winter they ploughed snow up against it and it was the last spot in the lot to melt. People there regularly working on it now though so it has to be ready soon. I see they updated the date to Q2 2022 on tesla.com. Like it was said above, desperately need one on the Cape Breton corridor.
It’s been “close to completion” since December. 😑

We only got the concrete pad for the transformer last month, so who knows when we’ll actually have the transformer installed so the power can be hooked up.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
How do you make it from the Aulac Supercharger to the Cape Breton highlands without the Westville SC being open? ABRP says it cannot be done... granted, we have a 2016 S90D so our range is substantially less than someone driving a new 3 or Y. I imagine it would be doable for them if charging to 100% at the Aulac SC. And I'm talking about making the trip without L2 somewhere along the way for hours & without CHAdeMO. Is it possible?

How do you make it from the Aulac Supercharger to the Cape Breton highlands without the Westville SC being open? ABRP says it cannot be done... granted, we have a 2016 S90D so our range is substantially less than someone driving a new 3 or Y. I imagine it would be doable for them if charging to 100% at the Aulac SC. And I'm talking about making the trip without L2 somewhere along the way for hours & without CHAdeMO. Is it possible?
I needed Flo to make it

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
Starting in Enfield instead of Aulac cuts off about 30 miles, but it does add about an hour of driving + charging time in each direction. Either way you are going to have to charge on something other than a supercharger at some point. I mean I'm assuming you also want to drive your car back at some point :)

What is your aversion to L2 and Chademo?

Also, the FLO chargers mentioned above are typically compatible with ChargePoint if you already use that app in the US.

Starting in Enfield instead of Aulac cuts off about 30 miles, but it does add about an hour of driving + charging time in each direction. Either way you are going to have to charge on something other than a supercharger at some point. I mean I'm assuming you also want to drive your car back at some point :)

What is your aversion to L2 and Chademo?

Also, the FLO chargers mentioned above are typically compatible with ChargePoint if you already use that app in the US.
When we’re traveling we’d rather not have to stop for hours in the middle at a L2 charger. We have potential accommodations with a 6-50 outlet available to charge there. But the problem is we can’t get there. And we don’t have a CHAdeMO adapter or time to find one before departure.

When we’re traveling we’d rather not have to stop for hours in the middle at a L2 charger. We have potential accommodations with a 6-50 outlet available to charge there. But the problem is we can’t get there. And we don’t have a CHAdeMO adapter or time to find one before departure.
You didn't provide a specific location. How far is it from the Enfield supercharger to the address where you are staying. And how many rated miles does your S90 have on a full charge? 270 ish?

You didn't provide a specific location. How far is it from the Enfield supercharger to the address where you are staying. And how many rated miles does your S90 have on a full charge? 270 ish?
243 miles from the Aulac Supercharger because that's likely the side we'd come from. It's 213 miles from Enfield. Our current rated range on a full charge is about 262 miles. ABRP says we can't make it from either SC. It says that from Aulac we'll be 40% short. And it says we'll be 27% short from Enfield.

243 miles from the Aulac Supercharger because that's likely the side we'd come from. It's 213 miles from Enfield. Our current rated range on a full charge is about 262 miles. ABRP says we can't make it from either SC. It says that from Aulac we'll be 40% short. And it says we'll be 27% short from Enfield.
I think you can definitely make it with careful (i.e. slow) driving from Enfield. I used to own the exact same car, although I did have a slightly higher range in the 270s. You will have to go to Enfield though if you want to avoid public chargers. Like I said it adds about an hour to your trip (50 minutes of driving time and maybe 15 extra minutes charging).

If I were you, the above would be my plan A. Then I would search Plugshare for a few L2 options along the route for Plans B, C, and D.

The good news for you is that the speed limits tend to be fairly low in NS and public chargers tend to be more reliable in Canada than in the US (in my experience). You should at least start out your trip by going 10kph below the speed limit until you get a feel for it and your arrival percentage stabilizes.

ABRP is a useful app but it isn't the end all be all. For edge cases like this you sometimes need to do the math yourself. When it says you can't make it, it doesn't really mean you can't make it, but it should definitely be a red flag and a realization that it will be a difficult leg.

A bigger concern that I would have is that the charging where you are staying will not work for some reason. So have a backup plan for that if it happens. A good idea sometimes is to stop at a public charger that is closest to your accommodation on the way in and charge there to be sure it works. Then arrive at your lodging with enough charge to get back to it if necessary.

Lastly, you might try borrowing or renting a Chademo adapter for this trip. Like maybe ask in a local Tesla group in MN. The Flo Chademos work quite well and you could likely just drive straight from Aulac with an hour long Chademo stop on the way. Plus having the Chademo would give you even more flexibility and options. Good luck!

Last edited:
If your departure date is 2 weeks or more away you could probably get a CCS1 adapter from S. Korea, although I understand harum.io is now once again requiring your account credentials to do so. I used one at FLO stations in Monesatry and Baddeck with no issues other than it being rather slow (44kW max).
Flo chargers are quite easy to use with a chargepoint rfid card.

If your departure date is 2 weeks or more away you could probably get a CCS1 adapter from S. Korea, although I understand harum.io is now once again requiring your account credentials to do so. I used one at FLO stations in Monesatry and Baddeck with no issues other than it being rather slow (44kW max).
Flo chargers are quite easy to use with a chargepoint rfid card.
CCS only works with new cars. We have a late 2016 Model S.