Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlis Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree, but couldn't help but notice your signature- Moderator for RivianAuto.Club, discussion forum for all things related to the Rivian EVs. :p

Of course! I'm not hiding anything. But since you mentioned it, let's compare Rivian and Atlis.

Rivian has raised $450M to date from strategic, automobile related investors, Atlis, $1M from a kickstarter.

Rivian is headed by an MIT PHD in mechanical engineering who specialized in automobile manufacturing. Atlis by an ex-director level guy at the company that makes Tasers.

Rivian owns a ex-Mitsubishi factory capable of producing 250,000 cars a year. Atlis, nothing.

Rivian's specs and pricing are believable, Atlis, aren't.

As I said upthread, I generally don't dump on startups since I know how hard it is to break through. But Atlis has alarm bells ringing in my head...

Reactions: outdoors
Of course! I'm not hiding anything. But since you mentioned it, let's compare Rivian and Atlis.

Rivian has raised $450M to date from strategic, automobile related investors, Atlis, $1M from a kickstarter.

Rivian is headed by an MIT PHD in mechanical engineering who specialized in automobile manufacturing. Atlis by an ex-director level guy at the company that makes Tasers.

Rivian owns a ex-Mitsubishi factory capable of producing 250,000 cars a year. Atlis, nothing.

Rivian's specs and pricing are believable, Atlis, aren't.

As I said upthread, I generally don't dump on startups since I know how hard it is to break through. But Atlis has alarm bells ringing in my head...

But in Atlis' favor - and this is purely subjective obviosuly - if they deliver as shown their pickup is far more capable and better looking than the RT1 (not even going to get into tech and battery / charging). Im just talking size of the vehicle, size of the bed, cargo capacity etc all again IMO.

And OBTW I have had a deposit on an RT1 since minute 1 of them being available (exageration, but I did put a deposit down am of the first day available). The more I look at the size and design of the RT1, the less I'm liking it and more likely to ask for my deposit back/switch to RS1. Seems it's about the size of a Tacoma, and looks like a Ridgeline yet will cost 2 to 3x a Tacoma. There's other things I don't like but not sure relevancy ie why is the bed integrated into the passenger body.

I think they need to do some outreach events around the country...a rock climbing gym in Detroit with some "famous" rock climber? Really? Exposure is their hardest obstacle and posting facebook videos may be the way some do it, like X-Box games, but not sure the demographic of the poeple that are willing to pay $100k for a vehicle are watching facebook videos...yet here I type on a forum about EVs.

Lastly, that's great they've got an MIT PHD in mech engineering who specialized in automobile manufacturing...but that doesn't mean he knows how to run an automobile manufacturing company.

All IMO only, BTW where's my keychain and see my other posts about Rivian....didn't get acknowledgement of my deposit for over 40 days and until I bitched about it on the Forum, and then they said it was my firewall...ummm I'm an IT pro and no it wasn't my firewall (nice try Rivian) - so how's that company running?
Dzm

Lastly, that's great they've got an MIT PHD in mech engineering who specialized in automobile manufacturing...but that doesn't mean he knows how to run an automobile manufacturing company.

That is a better resume than dual bachelors degree in economics and physics and creating two internet companies.

Bob Lutz on the other hand had the perfect resume for running an automobile manufacturing company.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I think they [Rivian] need to do some outreach events around the country...a rock climbing gym in Detroit with some "famous" rock climber? Really? Exposure is their hardest obstacle and posting facebook videos may be the way some do it, like X-Box games, but not sure the demographic of the poeple that are willing to pay $100k for a vehicle are watching facebook videos...yet here I type on a forum about EVs.

Rivian isn't producing a mass market car. They don't have the funds nor the need for big outreach events. IMHO, Rivian is already spending too much on paid promotion, but to each his own. People denigrate Elon as an awkward public speaker, but he has charisma to pull off PR events that seem to do everything Tesla needs in terms of marketing. Rivian's reservation list is bigger than they anticipated, so they might not need to do much more paid promotion going forward.

Well, he seems to be doing a decent job at running a 600 person company spread over 4 major locations. Not bad so far.

[QUOTE="Well, he seems to be doing a decent job at running a 600 person company spread over 4 major locations. Not bad so far.[/QUOTE]

Point was - PhD and MIT educated has absolutely nothing to with ability to lead a Company, resumes for education are not an indicator for leadership nor management abilities.....as RobStark pointed out - just look at some industry leaders education. Too often letters after a name are equated to abilities.

Disagree - They're not building Koenigseggs are they? Limited production? No to both, it's mass market.They're doing it on an assembly line you said at a factory that can pump out a couple hundred thousand a year - mass market.

You seem to know a lot of inside info regarding Rivian, or are you just speculating (not snarky comment but trying to understand how you get your info/reliable - not that posting it on a forum adds legitimacy)? Was there a report on the number of Reservations?

As for paid promo I was not saying need more paid promo, Agree with you. But where are they in the autoshow circuit? I'd be aiming for a presence in key market analysis areas where likely buyers are, vice paying some rock climber to show up at a rock climbing gym in Detroit - is that where expedition minded buyers are - Detroit?

Dzm

You seem to know a lot of inside info regarding Rivian, or are you just speculating (not snarky comment but trying to understand how you get your info/reliable - not that posting it on a forum adds legitimacy)? Was there a report on the number of Reservations?

Google is your friend: Why Buy A Rivian? Pre-Order Customers Share Their EV Story

Rivian spokesperson Michael McHale declined to disclose how many preorders they’ve received for the R1S or the companion pickup truck, called the R1T, in the past two weeks.

“It’s easily exceeded (our) best expectations,” McHale said via email.

As for paid promo I was not saying need more paid promo, Agree with you. But where are they in the autoshow circuit? I'd be aiming for a presence in key market analysis areas where likely buyers are, vice paying some rock climber to show up at a rock climbing gym in Detroit - is that where expedition minded buyers are - Detroit?

Dzm

Autoshows ARE paid promotion. They are expensive. Showing up at a local rock climbing gym is NOT expensive. However, they muffed it since I didn't see any press about it. If you're going to doing anything like that, you've got to include press and social media.

Google is your friend: Why Buy A Rivian? Pre-Order Customers Share Their EV Story

Autoshows ARE paid promotion. They are expensive. Showing up at a local rock climbing gym is NOT expensive. However, they muffed it since I didn't see any press about it. If you're going to doing anything like that, you've got to include press and social media.

Yeah I imagine some auto shows wouldn't even let them in...for example our local one was this past weekend put on by the local auto dealer association...doubt they would let some upstart "show" since they're not part of the old blood 'big 3'. I do know Tesla is coming to our area this spring for some type of "demo" event. We test drove a P100D two months ago and they just texted us and said they'd be in the local area for a demo event.

What Rivian needs to think about is maybe showing at Hunting shows, boating shows, camping shows vice car shows.

Dzm

Is this for real?

Well, I dont think so, but there are some true believers in this thread...

Edit: But I suppose it matters what you mean by "real". Are there really six guys raising a kickstarter with nicely rendered truck pictures? Yes, I think that's real. Do they have a hope of manufacturing a truck? Put it this way, I wish there was some way to short a kickstarter....

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: RobStark
Reactions: Cosmacelf
BTW Lordstown Motors has raised $675M and is gasping toward the Job 1 finish line.

Tesla raised about $150M before Roadster Job 1.

Then raised $400M for the Model S program.

Lucid Motors has raised ~$2B to date and will raise another ~$4.5B after the SPAC merger is completed next month.

Rivian has raised ~$10B so far is looking to IPO later this year.

Even Fisker Inc raised ~$1B in their SPAC deal.

Atlis looking to crowd fund and offer lottery type capital raises with prizes looks a bit comical/sad/pathetic.

BTW Lordstown Motors has raised $675M and is gasping toward the Job 1 finish line.

Tesla raised about $150M before Roadster Job 1.

Then raised $400M for the Model S program.

Lucid Motors has raised ~$2B to date and will raise another ~$4.5B after the SPAC merger is completed next month.

Rivian has raised ~$10B so far is looking to IPO later this year.

Even Fisker Inc raised ~$1B in their SPAC deal.

Atlis looking to crowd fund and offer lottery type capital raises with prizes looks a bit comical/sad/pathetic.

Great info. Shows you just how amazingly capital efficient Tesla (really Elon) was.

I understand your overall point though. Tesla grew up during a time when they were the only player in town, so they could grow (relatively) slowly. Today, an EV manufacture has to compete against Tesla, GM, Ford, Nissan, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.