Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ATT 3G Service Planned Shutdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just heard about this in the newspaper. I see it's been discussed here and Tesla posted about it on their web site in July - if I search for it in support. This is just a rant but when, exactly is Tesla going to reach out proactively to owners to tell them this? There are thousands of older S's that are going to get cut off with no warning? So I made my appointment in November but jeez!

When 2G went away Ford upgraded my 2013 Fusion Energi to 3G for free.. I traded the Energi in on a 2021 Mustang Mach-E so I don't know what, if anything, they will do this time. The Mach-E and my Tesla both have 4G so it will be a while before that is a problem.

I’m not sure I would expect anything for free.

This was announced a couple years ago…
I would definitely expect it for free with a smile You know how many people have free premium connectivity and still have 3g? 1000's free premium connectivity is a contract and the software OtTA updates, Navi, FSD the car would not be able to run without constant link to mothership Elaine I mean Elon.

free premium connectivity is a contract
OMG please don’t tell me you’re going to sue over this too…

There is no such “contract” that compels Tesla to provide owners of early cars free premium connectivity forever, including any hardware necessary to access it.

In fact, Tesla signaled at the time that connectivity would be provided free for four years. It was much later when they decided to just give it to early cars for free in perpetuity. But again, it’s a fantasy to think that obligates them to provide you free hardware.

I would definitely expect it for free with a smile You know how many people have free premium connectivity and still have 3g? 1000's free premium connectivity is a contract and the software OtTA updates, Navi, FSD the car would not be able to run without constant link to mothership Elaine I mean Elon.
Software updates happen over wifi. FSD is not an issue - all "FSD"-capable cars have LTE. They already tweaked the software to make it easier to tether while on the move, and are offering the LTE upgrade at or near to cost. What more do you want? It wasn't Teslas decision to phase out 3G.

I'm not one of those who defends Tesla under all circumstances, far from it. But in this case they've done right by their customers IMO.

Reactions: Jimmer
OMG please don’t tell me you’re going to sue over this too…

There is no such “contract” that compels Tesla to provide owners of early cars free premium connectivity forever, including any hardware necessary to access it.

In fact, Tesla signaled at the time that connectivity would be provided free for four years. It was much later when they decided to just give it to early cars for free in perpetuity. But again, it’s a fantasy to think that obligates them to provide you free hardware.
so if they don't provide it and customers refuse to pay for it what's going to happen with the car? no communication from mother ship how would the car function..BTW that Free premium connectivity is pretty much in line with FUSC as far as dates of availability. I wonder where some of Elon's wealth comes from it couldn't be from charging $10k for FSD that's never going to happen.

so if they don't provide it and customers refuse to pay for it what's going to happen with the car? no communication from mother ship how would the car function..
The car will probably function like Tesla has said it will function.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
My 2014 MS is in the shop right now for 2 recalls that I am finally getting done - air bag and "daughter board" replacement. The tech told me I should upgrade [blah, blah, blah] so I will have connectivity as 3G will not be supported. The cost is $1500. No way I'm paying this. I don't know exactly what I will lose ... the audio system never connected reliably, the GPS nav was incredibly bad and not to be trusted. I didn't use it. What else will I lose? Would it even be worth it? FWIW, these 2 recalls have taken 2 days, so far. Fortunately they loaned me car.

My 2014 MS is in the shop right now for 2 recalls that I am finally getting done - air bag and "daughter board" replacement. The tech told me I should upgrade [blah, blah, blah] so I will have connectivity as 3G will not be supported. The cost is $1500. No way I'm paying this. I don't know exactly what I will lose ... the audio system never connected reliably, the GPS nav was incredibly bad and not to be trusted. I didn't use it. What else will I lose? Would it even be worth it? FWIW, these 2 recalls have taken 2 days, so far. Fortunately they loaned me car.

Pretty sure you can upgrade to the LTE board for $500 vs the $1500 for the full MCU 2.

Now as to what you will lose:

1. Accessing the car from the app

2. Any streaming services/music

3. Google maps display, live traffic display, live traffic routing

4. Web browsing services

Obviously you can just connect your car to your mobile phone hotspot to retain items 2 through 4 but #1 is a biggie depending on your needs.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Interesting that the tech did not tell me this lower cost option.

The streaming music did not work for me most of the time so I won't miss that. I gave up on it years ago but did try again here and there. I never access the car from the app, so I'm good there. I use my phone for all road conditions and mapping because, you guessed it, the mapping totally sucked. The most frustrating failure was when the mapping took me to my "destination" but actually it took me to a freeway that was over the parking lot which was my destination; x/y coordinates were good, elevation way off. That is just incomprehensible. I asked the tech if Tesla uses google maps and why it was so different than the directions I get on my phone, using google maps. He told me "tesla does not use google maps". ??????

All this said I love my Tesla; it's an amazing driving experience. And I will ask about the $200 upgrade option as my car is still not done tonight after 2 days; something about installing the software - problems??

Interesting that the tech did not tell me this lower cost option.

The streaming music did not work for me most of the time so I won't miss that. I gave up on it years ago but did try again here and there. I never access the car from the app, so I'm good there. I use my phone for all road conditions and mapping because, you guessed it, the mapping totally sucked. The most frustrating failure was when the mapping took me to my "destination" but actually it took me to a freeway that was over the parking lot which was my destination; x/y coordinates were good, elevation way off. That is just incomprehensible. I asked the tech if Tesla uses google maps and why it was so different than the directions I get on my phone, using google maps. He told me "tesla does not use google maps". ??????

All this said I love my Tesla; it's an amazing driving experience. And I will ask about the $200 upgrade option as my car is still not done tonight after 2 days; something about installing the software - problems??
Sounds like they were trying to upsell you to MCU2 to get out of doing the eMMC recall. Naughty. MCU2 is (IMHO) worth the $1500 but the combination of (free) eMMC recall and ($200) LTE card should net you a significant improvement.

The Tesla website currently states:
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

I say "currently" because the part about "excluding retrofits or upgrades..." (underlined above) was only added this year I believe.