Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempt to break Coast to Coast EV record this April - Anyone wanna join?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivers should have polarized sunglasses and yellow night driving glasses. The yellows add 1 1/2 hours of 'sunlight' to dusk and dawn and ease focusing all night long.

Order now esp if you have prescriptions.
--

Drivers should have polarized sunglasses and yellow night driving glasses. The yellows add 1 1/2 hours of 'sunlight' to dusk and dawn and ease focusing all night long. Order now esp if you have prescriptions.

In college I used to go out twilight hour rides on my motorcycle down the river (Ohio State Univ). At the time I would wear some yellow wrap-stlye glasses that Oakley sold. Not sure if those are even still around, but they were amazing. The only issue I ever had was they caught glare a bit from headlights that people had on, but overall they were amazing for added night vision quality.

Not necessarily. The record to be broken is "Total time spent charging". Truth is we can take our sweet time lol

So all it will take is someone willing to drive 55 mph all the way to beat this record you plan to set (then somebody willing to drive even slower will beat THAT record)? Less speed will use less energy which allows less charging time.

Records won by going slower doesn't sound very productive as far as furthering the cause for EV acceptance by the public, IMHO (and probably in Tesla's)...

I have kinda been keeping my eye on this thread, and keep thinking about the coast-to-coast (2,803 miles) "Cannonball Run" speed record, accomplished in under 29 hours.
(Old record had been just over 31 hours.)
They averaged over 100 mph, their total average speed was 98 mph and their top speed was 158 mph.

All sorts of mods were made to the MB CL55 AMG, including carrying a bedpan.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new-york-los-angeles-cannonball-speed-record/

I have a sneaking suspicion that if a MS were to try averaging 100 mph between most (current) Supercharger stations, that they probably would not have enough battery capacity to make it to the next station.

Thread title wrongly implies this is a coast to coast EV 'speed' record which by any stretch of the imagination it is not. Huff!
--

There is no "official" speed record. I like the idea of breaking the official minimum charging time record, while also breaking the unofficial EV speed record. But you can't do it as a mass social migration across the country. Superchargers don't work that way.

> a mass social migration across the country [BerTX]

Are you characterizing the CannonBall Run as such? I thought the CR is the model here.

This appears to be too quirky for the Mass Media to understand and propagate. End up as a FUD trap?
--

> a mass social migration across the country [BerTX]

Are you characterizing the CannonBall Run as such? I thought the CR is the model here.

This appears to be too quirky for the Mass Media to understand and propagate. End up as a FUD trap?
--

Not sure I know what you are asking. I know little about the reality of Cannonball Run, only the movies.

I'm just saying that getting a group of Teslas together to try to set either a speed record or a minimum charging record is not going to be practical. When Tesla did the original run, they used two cars for a reason. Later runs have all been made by individual cars.

When three cars arrive at a Supercharger that has four bays, only two will get a full power charge. The other one has to wait. Since the third car has to wait to start charging, then the other two cars have to wait for the third car to finish before departing. The problem escalates exponentially the more cars you have. A speed record is not possible.

To get minimum charging times, it is similar in that you will want full power on the charge, so cars will have to wait. Five hour stops at each Supercharger will make for a very long trek.

On top of that, if you are trying to set a record and tying up the Supercharger for hours and I need it for my personal trip, I'm saying phooey on that and using the Supercharger. You can't expect other owners, no matter how supportive of your record attempt they might be, to delay their trip for hours while you try to maximize Supercharger power for the cars in the record attempt.

The only way I see to do it is to space pairs of cars out 30 minutes apart. But this is not the flotilla of Teslas that would lend itself to a social event, which is probably the primary idea behind this endeavor.

But I trust that those organizing the event have this all worked out and are not saying what the solution is on here because they want it to be a surprise.

The end date should be 4/17 in Salisbury, MD for the TeslaRoadTrip.org "Reach the Beach" event. Work back from there to get the start.

OK So heres the update.

Departing LA April 7th or 8th (we'll lock this down soon) heading to meet the caravan in Ohio to MD. THE RECORD DRIVE WILL BE THE RETURN FROM MD TO LA.

This was done for logistical reasons, so the kickoff to the return will be from REACH THE BEACH. (But an obvious separate event)

OK So heres the update.
Departing LA April 7th or 8th (we'll lock this down soon) heading to meet the caravan in Ohio to MD. THE RECORD DRIVE WILL BE THE RETURN FROM MD TO LA.
This was done for logistical reasons, so the kickoff to the return will be from REACH THE BEACH. (But an obvious separate event)

FYI ... I updated (sort of) my Ohio to MD thread.... (I couldn't edit the first post so see my LAST reply)... but basically my plans changed (because of friends joining me). I believe that there is still a Chicago entrant but even they PM'd me they might not be joining my "caravan" of sorts. So, as we get closer, PM me if you want to join. But my friends/I are spending Friday night in Baltimore -- so even if you do tag along with us and change/drive WITH me (which is totally awesome if you want to)... be forewarned that once we reach Baltimore we'd be separating for the end of the journey. :) Safe travels ....