Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempted Theft smashed window!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they spotted something in the boot, how are they supposed to get it out?

Presumably if you had anything larger than that rear quarter window they wouldn't be able to get it out anyway, would they?

Stuff like this really irritates me. Wouldn't have even thought it would be an issue parked where it was. Wasn't even that dark either.

Awful! :(

What do they do if they see something is there, though - smash the whole passenger window?

Legging it on a pushbike can't be easy with a 'load'. I'm wondering if they work in teams?

My daughter had her phone snatched by thieves on a scooter in central London. The amount of anguish that caused the whole family...

Last edited:
Thats a shame. I had hoped that the rear quarterlight epidemic was not going to reach our shores but it looks like it might.

As well as film, there are devices that you can use to lockout the rear seat catches to make them more visible and less easy to open.

Not a great link due to ads, but some info Tesla Model 3 Rear Seat Lock Is Pure Genius: Video

or print your own (overkill design?) Tesla Model 3 owner 3D prints rear seat lock that prevents break-ins
You can easily remove the Rear Seat "Locks" in a couple seconds with a flat-head screwdriver. Thieves would be able to easily remove them with the right tool.

I printed these and so far, I like them. they are not strong, its all about deterrance. they clip on easily and the cost is almost nothing ($5 for each 'file cabinet' lock and a few dollars for filament for the printer).

Tesla Model 3 Rear Seat Lock by darknick

I printed some in red and some in black; not sure which ones I'll end up using.

I have some spares, so if anyone wants to try them, PM me.

there is also a seat lock that goes into the trunk; its also 3d printed. I made those, too, but can't seem to make them work for me.

I think the value is in telling the thieves that this car is 'harder' and 'you should pick an easier target'. that's my hope, at least.

red_seat_lock_1.jpg

red_seat_lock_2.jpg

I think the main benefit is to deter people from breaking in, rather than actually securing the seat. They can probably get past the lock fairly easily if they want to, but seeing that it's locked would probably stop a lot from trying. From that perspective, I'd go for the red ones as they're more visible (although they certainly don't enhance the looks of the car...)

I printed a set of black and I'm trying that out, now. using a chrome lock so that it stands out a little. there are black locks, too, but if its dark, black on black on black seats makes it too hard to see. the point is to be seen but not look too inviting.

honestly, with regular hand force, I can probably yank it up or even break the cam on the lock (its printed plastic; but metal would be far better if I can get one bent in the small size it needs). but again, I don't care about locking the seats as I won't keep anything valuable in the trunk. I just dont want to come back to broken glass and have all that heatbreak.

a friend bought some plastic film to put over the triangle. its supposed to be smashproof. but not sure that is a great idea. how do you get the window out, if you need to, then?

and maybe if you frustrate the thief by making the glass just bounce back (with the film) he may be annoyed enough that he damages your car, just for spite.

hard to know how far to go to protect your car. I live in the bay area, so I can't just do NOTHING. I'm trying those 3d printed visible 'locks'. will report back in a separate thread if I get broken glass, later on, with these things installed. (note, I'm NOT going to tempt fate and I'm now rethinking about parking in this or that lot, if it looks too empty or too late at nite. damn. hate having to limite what I can do with my car, but I do NOT want this happening to me!)

• Helpful
Reactions: Lasairfion
... on the other-hand the ones with a lock obviously have something valuable to protect, so worth a try if the thief feels they can get past the lock ...

very true. hard to read the minds of the bad guys.

from what I am hearing from those who know this subject - visual deterrance is the first step. all else being equal they'll go for something with less effort. in any parking lot, there will be several model 3's there (again, bay area, home of tesla) and I've never seen anyone's 'locked' like this before.

here's a question: would it be going too far to add a blinking red led to them? even if its just a dummy - a blinking light is also a deterrance. he won't know if there's a real alarm in there or what.

it would cost almost nothing for a AA battery and simple led blinker to be wired in there. the battery would power it for months at a time and a simple AA battery is safe for car temperatures.

what do you guys think: worth it to try adding an LED or just leave it as the plastic with the lock?

My understanding is the small rear windows are the only ones not connected to the alarm system. Which is why thieves target those first, if they can find anything good in the back then they decide to break your other windows and set off the alarm.

I'm not sure that any of the windows in a Tesla are 'connected to the alarm'.

Opening any door or trunk/frunk will set off the alarm as will any significant internal movement if the volumetric sensor is fitted (standard in Europe).

Sentry mode is another layer on top of that reacting to 'suspicious motion'.