Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempted Theft smashed window!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure that any of the windows in a Tesla are 'connected to the alarm'.

Opening any door or trunk/frunk will set off the alarm as will any significant internal movement if the volumetric sensor is fitted (standard in Europe).

Sentry mode is another layer on top of that reacting to 'suspicious motion'.

The sound sensor was supposed to be sensitive enough to trip small window breaking sound, but I guess not in OP's case.

Sorry to hear that, OP.

In addition to the good advises in this thread, I also put this inside-glass-surface sticker on the small windows. The sticker says, "WARNING. Audio and Video Recording in Progress."

Just another layer of measure to make the bad guys think twice before breaking the glass.

Warning Sticker | Audio and Video Recording In Progress | Transparent

mXLqOQr.jpg

Reactions: Chalks99 and Roy W.
We had some people trying boots and doors in our area, caught three on my CCTV going into next doors car, luckily nothing in it. The police basically agreed when I joked the guys will probably be in and out in a shorter time it takes for him to collect evidence.
The money they can make compared to a low paid job makes the odd week/month here and there in jail worth it.

Are Tesla's a particular target because of this small window, are all cars not vulnerable to this?

Most car alarms use the pressure sensors to detect air movement caused by a breaking window or a person in the car. The small window just doesn't cause enough change it seems, and that appears to be the case for most cars: not just Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: house9
How long have you had the ClearPlex on your windshield? Have you gone through car washes? I’m mainly interested to see how it holds up to micro scratching and therefore visibility. Thanks!

I have had clearplex on my previous car as it had HUD and the windscreen had a special coating to reflect the HUD. The clearplex was amazing help up fine. I do hand wash my cars using a pressure washer and had no fault.

Micro scratching happens but it is not so noticeable and I rather be safe than sorry.

How much did the windscreen cost?
Would be interested to know how much it would be for the 2 back windows as well.
Also are you able to buy this to diy?

The 2 back windows should be fairly cheap, You can get DIY kits: Model 3 Rear Corner Window Protector Kit - $39 with 20% Off

The front Windscreen cost me around £300 which is a hefty sum but it its worth it as when your windscreen is cracked all the cameras will be out of calibration and it is a ball-ache to get fixed right! Plus the insurance use 3rd Party glass which is not as good.

Any follow up from the local police?

I have just come off the phone with them, I am sending through the Sentry Clips. Will keep you informed!

If they spotted something in the boot, how are they supposed to get it out?

Presumably if you had anything larger than that rear quarter window they wouldn't be able to get it out anyway, would they?

Stuff like this really irritates me. Wouldn't have even thought it would be an issue parked where it was. Wasn't even that dark either.

I think they would have broken the other larger glass. It was parked on a busy road! I couldn't believe it when I got to the car

Last edited:
does it just come off, then?

the videos I see are of a hammer smashing it and it not breaking.

so I'm wondering if the glue bond (of sorts) can really be removed or if its there for good.

I am considering the film but I want to be aware of any service issues.

does it just come off, then?

the videos I see are of a hammer smashing it and it not breaking.

so I'm wondering if the glue bond (of sorts) can really be removed or if its there for good.

I am considering the film but I want to be aware of any service issues.

The film is like any PPF film it is removable. You would only remove it is there has been attempted break in, which would leave marks on the film and your window intact, depending on how many times the thief hits the window!

It will withstand quite a few hits, but it will make their lives much harder and usually they will go away as they cannot gain entry.

Reactions: linux-works