Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3 (Part 2!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. If they do make navigation a separate option I probably won't buy it (unless they include it with the HUD too, which as far as I'm concerned should come standard with the car and is a must-have). I'll just carry on using my phone for navigation.

I expect the main screen will still show maps incl. charging points.
I will pay for navigation if necessary and will not pay for HUD. The maps already show Super Chargers in a Model S.

All the autopilot hardware is standard, so the only thing to consider is whether Tesla will charge less for the software on the Model 3. I think they will.

Tesla wants people to buy the autopilot, and there's a huge difference between the full self-driving costing at most an additional 11.7% on top of the base price, like it does for the Model S, or costing an additional 22.9% on top of the base price, if it is priced the same on the Model 3. Basically, if Tesla doesn't drop the price, probably very few people will include full self-driving, which is not in Tesla's interests.

If Tesla doesn't sell the full self-driving capability to as many customers as possible, they will for one thing struggle to offset the hardware costs included on every car. It will be a losing proposition. Furthermore, Musk has said the ASP for the Model 3 would be 42k USD. I don't think this is realistic, he must mean the ASP for the base Model 3, or some such. If there were to be any sort of realism to that number, and full self-driving is 8k USD, it would mean Musk is assuming not many people would pick full self-driving, given that 35k plus 8k for full self-driving would be 43k USD.

I think the full self-driving will cost 5k or less. Maybe as little as 3k. This allows room in the 42k USD figure for full self-driving and a bit extra stuff.

If autopilot on the 3 costs less than the current price for the S/X, it means the S/X have also decreased in price.

And the hardware isn't free, so maybe Tesla plans to keep the current S/X price for the 3 in order to recoup some of that expense.

Not to mention Tesla has RAISED the predict of autopilot MULTIPLE times since it's release as new features were added or improved. It's certainly possible autopilot actually goes up in price towards its march towards full autonomy.

If autopilot on the 3 costs less than the current price for the S/X, it means the S/X have also decreased in price.

And the hardware isn't free, so maybe Tesla plans to keep the current S/X price for the 3 in order to recoup some of that expense.
They might drop the price on the full self-driving for the Model S/X once the Model 3 is out, and has full self-driving at a lower price. They also might not. There's nothing unusual about having a different price for the same functionality/part on different cars. If you need a part for a VW or an Audi at a VW/Audi dealer, the same exact part, plucked out of the same parts bin at the dealer, you will often/usually have to pay more if it's an Audi.

And looking at my other suggested option prices, pretty much every option listed is more expensive on a Model S: Attempting to price out options for Model 3 (Part 2!)

- Metallic paint, why should it cost 750 USD on a Model 3, but 1000 USD on a Model S? It's the same paint, applied in the same paint shop, in basically the same quantities!
- High amp charger, why should it be 1000 USD on the Model 3, but 1500 USD on a Model S? I'm working on the assumption that the Model S and Model 3 will have the exact same charger!

The fact is that something is worth what people are willing to pay. On a higher priced car, people are willing to pay more for options, therefore the same options are worth more. The question for Tesla is if they can still make money on selling the full self-driving tech at a lower price on the Model 3, and I think they can.
Not to mention Tesla has RAISED the predict of autopilot MULTIPLE times since it's release as new features were added or improved. It's certainly possible autopilot actually goes up in price towards its march towards full autonomy.
That's quite unlikely. They're already selling full self-driving. What's beyond that?

Regarding software for self driving... how and why would it need to be different?
I would think that the differences in the vehicles would require some differences in the code that dictates how it reacts. The 3 is shorter, skinnier, and not as tall, it's lighter, and has different acceleration and deceleration profiles. Maybe all it involves is swapping out some constants in the code, but it could be a bit more involved than that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
Maybe all it involves is swapping out some constants in the code
This is probably more on the nose.
It'll be a simple logic statement with dimensions. the goal would be to make it as similar as possible so that the DNN can be trained with the biggest possible dataset. Making these dramatically different would lead to fragmentation and one system potentially being safer than another.

As far as price, one reason it could be cheaper is simply a more automated way to install the systems/wiring. This doesn't have much to due with software, but if you consider the price of the feature as a system, it would bring the price down if there was less labor cost in manufacturing.

Everyone keeps getting into discussions about price vs the Model S. First Tesla needs to make a profit. Once they have achieved profit I think the options will priced based on good old supply/demand. At some point the fact that it's a "Tesla" and it is "Cool" will have to give way to competitive pricing. It just depends on how much of the middle class automotive market that Tesla wants to take over and what they are capable of fulfilling.

This will be hard work. Raise the price too much and they sell less cars. You might say the base price is cheap enough but if everyone in that price range is expecting leather seats then the cost of the leather seats will determine if someone buys the car. Same with sunroof or paint. They'll have to tread carefully. If the options cost too much they'll drive away purchasers. Even the early reservation holders if they aren't careful.

The Model S lives in a different class and income demographic than the Model 3 will. I could afford a Model S but frankly it is just too expensive for me to consider. I really wanted to buy one but right now I believe a lot of the people driving them are either stretching to get the car or have enough money where an extra 20k is not a big deal when checking the options. I really want the Tesla because I test drove a Model S and right afterword I told myself I'll be willing to buy less of a Model 3 if the options cost too much. BUT when I drove the model S the autopilot option was 2k less than it is now. Frankly if the model 3 stays at the same price for options as the Model S I'll have to be reconsidering even though I want one bad.

With all that said with the quantities that Tesla plans on building, will they be decreasing the cost of the options (even autopilot)? I sure hope so. The quantities should allow them to decrease the cost. I don't think it is valid to say if they decrease the cost on the Model 3 they should decrease the cost on a Model S. That isn't how marketing works. They need to price each car independent based on what the market will bare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk
With all that said with the quantities that Tesla plans on building, will they be decreasing the cost of the options (even autopilot)? I sure hope so. The quantities should allow them to decrease the cost.

I agree with this statement. The Model 3 will be sold in higher quantities. Therefore the price of things like paint should be decreased as Tesla buys in higher quantities.

I don't think it is valid to say if they decrease the cost on the Model 3 they should decrease the cost on a Model S.

I somewhat disagree with this statement. Again buying in larger quantities will drive the price that Tesla pays down. Now will Tesla reflect that in a price decrease for the Model S/X as well, we shall see. You are right the price will reflect what the market will bare, but I predict it will drive the prices down. When potential Model S/X buyers complain that the price of premium paint or autopilot is more expensive than on the Model 3 it might force Tesla to make all options on all models equally priced.

I agree with this statement. The Model 3 will be sold in higher quantities. Therefore the price of things like paint should be decreased as Tesla buys in higher quantities.

I somewhat disagree with this statement. Again buying in larger quantities will drive the price that Tesla pays down. Now will Tesla reflect that in a price decrease for the Model S/X as well, we shall see. You are right the price will reflect what the market will bare, but I predict it will drive the prices down. When potential Model S/X buyers complain that the price of premium paint or autopilot is more expensive than on the Model 3 it might force Tesla to make all options on all models equally priced.

If they are clever they'll add some superficial things to the Model S options to "differentiate" them from the Model 3 options. For example different paint colors for the paint or adding "rich Corinthian" leather or something. This way if a customer complains that the same option cost more on a Model S than a Model 3 the sales guy can state "But the Model S has rich Corinthian leather". If a car is in a higher class you would expect the materials to be different to justify the increased cost. This doesn't bode well for things like Autopilot unless they add something to it to differentiate it from the Model 3 to the Model S.

Reactions: Red Sage
First Tesla needs to make a profit. Once they have achieved profit I think the options will priced based on good old supply/demand.
Let's all keep in mind the simple truth that Tesla is generating considerable revenue the only thing stopping Tesla from making profit is themselves (expansion and R&D, which are great things don't get me wrong). They averaged 25% gross profit on automotive in 2015.

Tesla will decrease the cost of the Model S/X eventually, but at the end of the day S/X are still more complex to manufacture, much lower volumes, and an all aluminum body is always going to carry a premium. Once Tesla fulfills their obligation to Panasonic for the number of 18650s they are contracted to buy (I don't remember the status of this), then we will see the switch to the 21700 cells (21-70). This will lower the cost of Model S/X right away. They might taper the cost over the course of 2017/2018 not to upset people or they might offer higher density packs at the same price points.

Let's all keep in mind the simple truth that Tesla is generating considerable revenue the only thing stopping Tesla from making profit is themselves (expansion and R&D, which are great things don't get me wrong). They averaged 25% gross profit on automotive in 2015.

Tesla will decrease the cost of the Model S/X eventually, but at the end of the day S/X are still more complex to manufacture, much lower volumes, and an all aluminum body is always going to carry a premium. Once Tesla fulfills their obligation to Panasonic for the number of 18650s they are contracted to buy (I don't remember the status of this), then we will see the switch to the 21700 cells (21-70). This will lower the cost of Model S/X right away. They might taper the cost over the course of 2017/2018 not to upset people or they might offer higher density packs at the same price points.

R+D in EVs is inherently more expensive, since we're still basically in the infancy of what EVs can do in terms of efficient energy use and storage.

ICE's and their tech have been fine-tuned over 100+ years. There's only so much left you can do in that arena.

I agree with you on the profit but I am not so sure they'll reduce the price of the Model S or X. Just like you don't BMW reducing the price of a 7 series. No they add additional features to the 7 and then trickle down what the last generation 7 had to the 5 series and so on. Car models tend to go up in price over time and the models most of the time get bigger and bigger. Then when the smallest is too big to be the small car alternative they come out with a new model that is smaller.

Look at the Honda Civic and Accord. They have bloated over time to the point where the current Civic is probably the same size as an Accord was in the 80's. Now they have a Fit to replace the small Civic hatchback. Same with the CRV it is getting bigger and bigger and now there is a new small alternative.

I guess the question lies what will Tesla do to differentiate the Model S from the Model 3. Size is one thing but I expect more fancy gizmos on the Model S than the 3. I do expect the 3 that comes out the end of the year to have most of the options the Model S does so it doesn't seem that far fetched (within Tesla's capability) for Tesla to even further update the Model S with some new ideas in a refresh that the Model 3 will not get for a few years. Of course I also expect that Elon will want all of the safety/self driving features to be on both cars but perhaps the Model S gets even more luxurious.

This is true and what I've been thinking about today. With 250 miles range (100% charged) at the start of the trip and driving 70mph, that would require stopping after 3.5 hours of driving depending on how close to 0% you go (3.5 hours would be near 0%). If this faster charging could get you near 80% in 15 minutes, then you would get about 200 miles range (80% charge) for your next leg. That would be about 2.75 hours of driving the next and all future legs until you get to your destination (adding in 15 minutes of charging between each leg).

Me personally, I would like a starting range of around 300 miles (100% charged). At 70mph, I wouldn't have to stop after the first leg until just over 4 hours of driving. Then, after 15 minutes of charging and at 80% charge, again at 70mph, this next leg and all future legs would net me about 240 miles or 3.25 hours of driving.

The second option would be much more appealing to me for road trips. With that said, you would only get about an extra 30 minutes of driving in between charging stations.

I'd be curious to read a review comparing the difference of a road trip, but with a low and a high capacity battery pack in otherwise identical cars. Would be nicer to have a short trip (350 miles) and a long trip (1000 miles).

Clearly you're not traveling with a woman with a tiny bladder. :D I'm lucky to go 1.5 to 2 hours at a stretch. If the Model 3 can use the V3 superchargers and they're close enough together, then stops that often shouldn't take more than 5-10 mins.

I hope to get as close to a base model as possible, maybe only EAP. I hope to save enough to get my wife a Model Y in three years or so.

Haven't read through the whole thread but I've been pricing out potential options partly out of personal interest and partly for investment purposes. I expect there to be fewer options than S/X, I expect the base model to have a 50kWh or 55kWh pack, this list assumes 55kWh though I was leaning towards 50 after reveal Part 1.

Base price, 55kWh, 225 miles range.......... $35,000
75kWh battery (~300 miles range).....+ $5,000
Dual motors........................................+ $3,000
Enhanced Autopilot............................+ $3,000
FSD.....................................................+ $2,000 (Requires Enhanced Autopilot)
Premium package................................+ $2,500
Larger rims.........................................+ $3,000
Leather seats........................................+ $1,500
Vegan seats..........................................+ $1,500
Subzero weather package....................+ $1,000
Upgraded paint....................................+ $1,000
Upgraded audio..................................+ $2,500
Ludicrous Mode..................................+ $10,000 (Requires Dual motors)
Fully Loaded...................................................$69,500

Fully loaded M3 should be around the base price of S/X.

Note: I'm predicting no air suspension option and no upgraded charger option. Also by the time the 3 is out I expect the X/S to be shipping with only two physical packs, a 100 and a 75/60 with the 100D getting 340 miles range and the 75D getting 260.

I assume you would only pick one of those conflicting seating options! :p Hopefully the vegan one, of course!

I think if there is a HUD, it won't be built into every car. It's fairly easy to design the dash for a HUD, then make two variants, one with HUD and one with a panel covering the hole where the HUD should have been.

I doubt Elon would have commented on the spaceship-like interior, meaning for that to be an option.

Major controls are rarely if ever options. If a HUD is an option, it's only because there is a conventional dash as well.