Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to price out options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

farzyness

Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?
Aug 8, 2013
Earth
Hi gang,

I've created a chart to try and outline what I think the costs will be for each Model 3 offering. My gut tells me the Model 3 will run with a 45, 60, and 75 kWh battery as the 3 models, with all the batteries being 75s with the ability to upgrade. I put this together to try and see if getting a Model 3 specced to where I would want it would be better than getting a Model S 60 today. I've made some tweaks to the price of the options based on Elon's feedback and where I think Tesla will price each component.

upload_2016-8-25_14-48-30.png

Here's a quote from Elon for you to ponder...
The average energy content of a 3 pack is certainly going to be less than 75 kilowatt. It doesn't clearly need to be anywhere near 75 kilowatt to achieve the range of 215 miles. But we don't want to get into the nitty-gritty. It's probably unwise. Yeah.

The question asked refered to 75 kWh so it's up to you if you want to interpret 75 as being on the highest end or simply a response to the question.Obviously with many people buying the base model it will drag the average down but what is the true high end?

Reactions: Tubesocks
There could also be tow package and headliner color options too.

D option will likely be included in the battery upgraded 3 price.

I also think the base model will be 55kWh @ 215 miles. Upgraded battery as 75kWh @ 300 miles seems appropriate.

What's decor?
You forgot towing and roof options.
Also, I'd be very surprised if a spoiler were ever offered as an option for a Tesla.

I would also suspect that super charging, along with dual motors, will be offered as part of one of the larger battery options.

I sure hope your numbers are high, especially for the P model. I'm ready to pay $60-70K for it, but over $100k is ludicrous (pun intended). I look at it this way. Base Model S is $66K. Fully loaded S before the P100DL was close to $140K I believe, but now is $160K. Worst case then, 160/66 = ~2.42. So if you use the same ratio, $35K * 2.42 = $84.7K. Still seems high, but probably more reasonable that $105K.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I sure hope your numbers are high, especially for the P model. I'm ready to pay $60-70K for it, but over $100k is ludicrous (pun intended). I look at it this way. Base Model S is $66K. Fully loaded S before the P100DL was close to $140K I believe, but now is $160K. Worst case then, 160/66 = ~2.42. So if you use the same ratio, $35K * 2.42 = $84.7K. Still seems high, but probably more reasonable that $105K.
I want the most spec'd out model and the estimated loan payments are already starting to make me tight with my money.

I agree, I think all his numbers are on the high side. This is to be a car to be within reach of the masses, and I don't think it comes across that way with pricing like that.