Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to Repair Front Collision Salvaged Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
=======
UPDATE
=======

1) The car passed inspection! I also completed the vehicle registration and tagged it!

2) After replacing all the airbags and reconnecting the (reset) airbag module, I noticed the airbag light coming off for a few seconds and then coming back on. Note that it used to always stay on. Does anyone know why it's not permanently staying off??

1) Congratulations!

2) Is the module remounted? If not, it may be unhappy with not being mounted mostly flat.

=======
UPDATE
=======

1) The car passed inspection! I also completed the vehicle registration and tagged it!

2) After replacing all the airbags and reconnecting the (reset) airbag module, I noticed the airbag light coming off for a few seconds and then coming back on. Note that it used to always stay on. Does anyone know why it's not permanently staying off??

unbelievable! I guess the standards for safety are really that low in maryland...

In most makes faults in the SRS module are not self clearing. Did you replace the seatbelt tensioners and steering wheel clockspring? They are all one time use (just like the SRS module, and any crash sensors).

I replaced all the seatbelt pretensioners (dual).

I'm not familiar with the steering wheel clockspring, what does it look like? I removed the steering wheel airbag and replaced it with a used one.

Here are pics I took when replacing the steering wheel airbag:

ED957155-3D97-4832-9E36-100F8EBA6FD3.jpeg

05C22FED-D389-4B26-AB16-D9258E9C21E3.jpeg

3805D8EF-3BD2-48CE-9938-6DDA73E83811.jpeg

There are two connectors for the airbag to plug into the steering wheel; do you mean to check those?

Reactions: albatore
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can definietly attest to a similar frustrating experience. I plan on installing everything back in the next couple days; I’m also not looking forward to it.

Will provide an update soon.

I just put the SRS module back in. That went in pretty easy but the suspension module was a huge pain.

I ended up grinding the front 1.5" of that black plastic shroud off. It doesn't seem to do anything for it and then it slides right back in place easy.
After hacking that extra plastic off the hardest part by far was reattaching the passenger side wire harness to it. It took me a solid hour of trying and finally I pulled the module back out and then fished out the harness near the passenger side footwell and just practiced a couple times putting it on (its not a straighforward plug in harness, it has a sliding clasp) which helped me then be able to get it done in that tight space in another few minutes of trying.

Was way more time I wanted to spend in that tight space but its done. I am putting the curtain bags in and reinstalling the drivers seat. Hopefully I don't get an SRS light anymore.

With yours staying on something is not right in your SRS system in could be: any airback, seatbelt, buckle pretensioner, or impact sensors. Getting the SRS scanned would be the easiest way to troubleshoot or you can start unplugging all those compenents and doing an ohm test.

good luck and wish me luck,.

=======
UPDATE
=======

So you passed even with the SRS light on? I'm surprised they let that slide.

Reactions: albatore
So you passed even with the SRS light on? I'm surprised they let that slide.

There are different levels of inspection. The first inspection checks the following:

1) Car is roadworthy
  • All major body parts (bumper, fender, hood, etc) are properly attached
  • Vehicle must be capable of being driven under its own power
2) Car is not stolen (includes a vin check against their database)

Passing the first inspection allows the vehicle to be registered and temporarily tagged for 30 days in order to perform the state (safety) inspection. After the safety inspection, there is a final emissions inspection (which I imagine will not applicable for a Tesla).

Thank You! It's been an awesome experience so far!

Hi,

Was just rereading the manual regarding airbags, it says the occupancy sensor can take 6 seconds to register, given the delay in error reporting you are seeing, that might be a cause.

"
Note: It takes approximately six seconds after
you power on Model X for the occupancy
sensor to report accurate status of the front
passenger airbag. As a result, when you
first
power on Model X, even in situations when it
should be OFF because the passenger seat is
either empty or carrying a weight of 20 lbs (9
kg) or less, the touchscreen will take about six
seconds to display the status, PASS AIRBAG
OFF. If it fails to do so, contact Tesla service
immediately and seat passengers in the rear
seating positions only."

My apologizes @mongo; I did not mention something that is quite important and most likely the obvious cause.

So, when removing the dash airbag, I noticed it is dual stage hence the reason it has two connectors (red/yellow). Unfortunately, when the old airbag deployed, the yellow connector melted onto the airbag. Thus, when attempting to remove the connector, the plastic cover naturally broke. However, I didn’t feel it was a big deal at the time because I was still able to connect the two metal pieces of the connector onto the new airbag. Also, when testing the ohms reading on the squib of the SRS module connector I was getting a reading; although in retrospect, I'm not sure if it was between 2-3ohms.

So I think the cause is related to the yellow pigtail connector. Here are some photos, please let me know what you think:

FF3961B1-E1CD-4E45-BD0D-A53825A195FE.jpeg

E9E4BF07-E72E-4398-BC6D-89203615D8EE.jpeg

4D95602B-F46C-4831-89A2-112BDEB41794.jpeg

8835FEDC-2188-4F04-BA17-F69C129E6FA8.jpeg

My apologizes @mongo; I did not mention something that is quite important and most likely the obvious cause.

So, when removing the dash airbag, I noticed it is dual stage hence the reason it has two connectors (red/yellow). Unfortunately, when the old airbag deployed, the yellow connector melted onto the airbag. Thus, when attempting to remove the connector, the plastic cover naturally broke. However, I didn’t feel it was a big deal at the time because I was still able to connect the two metal pieces of the connector onto the new airbag. Also, when testing the ohms reading on the squib of the SRS module connector I was getting a reading; although in retrospect, I'm not sure if it was between 2-3ohms.

In any case, I think the cause could very well be related to the yellow connector. Here are some photos, please let me know what you think:

View attachment 266569
View attachment 266570
View attachment 266568
View attachment 266567

I can see that connector having issues :confused:. Am I seeing correctly that the housing around the pins is missing? Are the pins blade style or circular?

Seems like that type of problem would cause a fault sooner though.

I can see that connector having issues :confused:. Am I seeing correctly that the housing around the pins is missing? Are the pins blade style or circular?

The housing is missing (melted on the old airbag). The pins style should be identical to the red connector (I would imagine). I do agree though, the connector seems damaged and is most likely the cause.

Seems like that type of problem would cause a fault sooner though.

Evidently, a good indicator of whether the SRS airbag module is reset and good, is for the airbag light to go off once the car starts, at which point it checks if faults exist, if so, the light comes back on, otherwise it stays off.

Another way to check of the SRS airbag module is reset and good, is to buckle the seat belt, and if the seatbelt light goes off, then the SRS airbag module is operating properly.

• Informative
Reactions: Dvb51 and mongo