Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to Repair Front Collision Salvaged Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for my next project:

7A6B58E6-A5C5-4FD7-8756-BCACF1D98138.jpeg
D6F69ECC-B6AE-4ADC-B817-3CD0D1974393.jpeg
E73D8995-4F23-43A0-8D2B-5C4A429CC87C.jpeg
80540833-9291-46C1-BA66-F3F9206C569F.jpeg
36C60FDD-F372-423F-9999-94BC5C40B1DA.jpeg

Thats kind of funny and contradictive. Can I recommend this path? No! But wait, here is my next project!
Reminds me anecdote:
- How did you like the restaurant?
- You know, I got a terrible diarrhea but it was worth it!

I personally don’t see any contradiction in my statement. My advice was for the majority of people yearning for a Tesla but don’t necessarily have the know-how knowledge that is acquired as a result of working on these cars and can instead afford to spend a bit more for peace-of-mind. My personal preference can be different than what I recommend onto others. I enjoy rebuilding these cars and don’t care much for the unsupported status and I’m willing to conjecture that most people do not share that opinion. I’m simply not comfortable recommending people risk spending 30-40k on an unsupported voided-warranty Tesla in which they ultimately may not be able to fix.

Reactions: mongo
Thats kind of funny and contradictive. Can I recommend this path? No! But wait, here is my next project!
Reminds me anecdote:
- How did you like the restaurant?
- You know, I got a terrible diarrhea but it was worth it!

Would a concert pianist or Neurosurgeon recommend the lifestyle that was required to get to where they are? Yet, they do it.
Just because something is not for most people does not mean it's for no one.

Generalized: This is a thing you can do, it's hard, it takes resources, it might not pay off. I don't advice doing it, but if you want to, more power to ya.

I had no issues with the air suspension before and now it is locked in very high and won't adjust and when you try to adjust it says it needs service. I may try to just disconnect power and see if it reboots and fixes itself.

As far as the SRS thats completely fine. My car had side damage on passenger side. Both curtain airbags and drivers seat airbag blew. I replaced those and the seatbelt and SRS module was sent to safety restore. I put it all back together today and the airbag light is out but now this darn air suspension.

Looking in the service manual it says that whenever the air suspension module is taken out it requires a calibration which then requires you use "toolbox" and I don't have root access to the car so not sure how I will get that done.[/QUOTE

Did you ever solve this issue?

Hi desoukya, hope you are still active on this forum. Thanks for your detailed salvage tesla restoration thread, it inspired me to do the same and I just bought a car on auction today, copart lot 48328019

Would you be able to help me figure out where I can buy fuses/pyrofuse for the car? Your posts describe pretty much everything, but I couldn't figure out where did you buy fuses.

Thanks

I purchased a salvaged Tesla Model S to repair in my garage. I'm new to this, so I'm in the "information gathering" phase attempting to learn as much as possible about the car and other people's experience in hope of building technical intuition to guide me through all the troubleshooting issues that will inevitably arise.

I started acquainting myself with Tesla's 2014 Model S Emergency Response Guide which was helpful in understanding the function of each electrical component and how they interface.

I also read Yauheni's Thread which was extremely insightful.

Here are pictures of the car:
IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4822.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

As far as the cosmetic issues are concerned, I'm not terribly worried about this right now. I'm more focused on getting the car functional and free of all mechanical defects. This is where I can use the community support/help/guidance.

Okay....let's get started. Here is what I know:

• The car does not power-up on its own. The 12V battery seems completely depleted and requires a jump each time.
  • The car will immediately turn off once the jumper cables are disconnected
  • The car has 129mi of range which seems to indicate the 400 HV battery pack has charge
  • The car will not "start/move"
  • The car is currently on the latest update v8.1

Initial troubleshooting items/questions:
  • I do not hear the 400v battery solenoids so I'm presuming the contactors do not engage (close) to charge the 12V battery via DC-DC converter, which could also explain why the car immediately powers-off once the jumper cables are disconnected. Is this a valid assumption? If so, how do I prove this assumption? Thoughts?
  • As per my reading, it seems once the SRS system is deployed, the Pyrofuse can blow, preventing the car from movement. I suppose it will be immediately important to ascertain the health of this fuse.
  • I'm interested in immediately removing the sim card from back of 17inch display as to avoid any "remote" contact/update with the car for obvious reasons. Although I'm unsure, I believe doing so could potentially allow me to continue supercharging once the car is (hopefully) repaired!

I would like to construct a troubleshooting list comprised of action items to perform. Please provide me your thoughts on how you imagine I should proceed.

Thanks!
Hi
I know this is old now but do you rememh the How the left ac fan / condenser is mounted /removed

Thankyou

Thankyou kindly!

Is it easier to remove through the frunk or wheel arch?
Is it necessary to remove the bumper?
I had the full front end off so tricky to answer, you might be able to do it via the wheel arch after removing arch liner, fan, then get to the clamps that hold it.
Will be a struggle, i think you will need to remove headlights to get at them tbh.