Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attempting to Repair Front Collision Salvaged Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I have to replace the hood and front bumper anyway - I'm curious whether I can use the new facelift bumper instead of the original nose cone? Would it fit? Or, does it require serious retrofitting?
replacing the hood sucks, they come primed but not painted and you have to order them from tesla... they are paper thin and bend/break easily... ive been searching for a salvage one to replace my tweaked hood for about a year now with no luck. Cost from tesla unpainted is about 1200 door to door.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to report my progress, it's been an exciting couple days :)

So, the funniest thing happened...after swapping out the pyrofuse, I went out to the car the next day to get ready to disconnect the battery in order to trickle charge it. However, before I could do so, the door handles presented themselves! I couldn't believe it! So I immediately grabbed my multimeter and checked the voltage of the battery and it was reading 14V!!! The main battery pack had charged the 14V battery overnight!

I was so excited that I decided it was time to go beyond my driveway. So, I took the car for a spin in the neighborhood and it drove flawlessly!

What's even more amazing, I got a software update and installed it without a problem!

Next steps:
- Charge car using Tesla Wall Charger
- Install hood/bumper/headlight/grill/airbags/seat belts
- Reset Airbag ECU
- State Salvage Inspection
- Title Registration & Tags

The seat belts lock up after an accident. However, they can be repaired so the lock is released and thus reusable.

Maybe you got lucky and it was in the staging process when the car got into an accident? What's the firmware version you're running now?
I don't recall the exact version number, but it was the "Easy entry for drivers" update.

I'm not sure; although, I'm not surprised they are replacing them.

I'm resetting both of my seat belts for $90.
You're saving over $400 by doing so :)

From the estimate on mine:
96 E 962 01 Buckle,Frt Seatbelt LT 100599001F $75.48 S1 INC SM
97 E 963 01 Buckle,Frt Seatbelt RT 100599100F $75.48 S1 INC SM
98 E 964 01 Seatbelt,Front LT 100526300C $151.00 S1 0.2 SM
99 E 965 01 Seatbelt,Front RT 100526400C $151.00 S1 0.6 SM
100 E 1876 01 Pretensioner,Frt Seatb LT 100453200B $53.00 S1 0.6 SM
101 E 1877 01 Pretensioner,Frt Seatb RT 100526500B $53.00 S1 0.6 SM

Do shops routinely do this? The shop that repairing my S is just replacing them wholesale, which seems like a huge waste if they can be reset.

It depends on if the seat belt tensioner fired or not. Just like airbags the seat belts have explosive devices in them to tension the belt during an impact. Tesla procedure/policy is probably to replace with new rather than try to rebuild the tensioner with a new explosive pack in the field. (Maybe the belt isn't rated to be reused once it the tensioner has been activated and it has been stressed.)

Thanks for pointing this out @mongo @MP3Mike

I called the company (Safety Restore) and confirmed they fix the seat belt spring in addition to replacing the pretensioner.

So considering the cost @RogerHScott is incurring for a full replacement, I'm okay with just a reset.

OH, my bad! I missed the part where it was someone servicing them. I read it as someone on e-bay selling a resetting tool. Awesome savings!