Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attn female owners: journalist comments on lack of female Tesla drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair enough. And how about the fact that every day I drive to work in the SF Bay Area (and I work in over 20 different locations so my driving pattern is quite variable) I see multiple Telsas on the road during every drive and over three-quarters of them are driven by men. I have seen that consistently during over 16 months of ownership.
So my personal data sample correlates well with the registration data.

Nonsense information. There is no spot to list owners sex. Are corporate registrations male or female? How about names like Pat. Are they male or female? You need to be more critical of the data you report to establish a readership that respects your reporting

Easy there... Dana is just pointing out an observation by IHS Automotive and already made a critical point of that. You didn't read an article in Bloomberg, do you ?

With that said, I think it is a fair observation and can be used to see how Model S relatively stacks up with other popular models.

Easy there... Dana is just pointing out an observation by IHS Automotive and already made a critical point of that. You didn't read an article in Bloomberg, do you ?

With that said, I think it is a fair observation and can be used to see how Model S relatively stacks up with other popular models.

I was about to post essentially the same thing.

I realize that there may be lots of people here who don't appreciate how some in the media have portrayed Tesla. But there's no need to attack someone just because they work in media. Doing that is a pretty good way to insure those who work in the industry won't actively participate in and contribute to the forums.

I think this is an interesting topic. According to IHS Automotive, Model S customers are 78.5 percent male and 21.5 percent female. That is based on who registered the car at the DMV, so it can be skewed to who actually did the paperwork vs. who drives it on a daily basis.

My own hunch is that, over time, more and more women will become owners and that the X will tilt more heavily toward women.

Dana Hull
Reporter at Bloomberg
[email protected]

I bet that's about the same for Canada since it accords with my own observations. What surprises me is not the percentages but the emotions they invoke. I agree with Dana that over time this will level out but facts are facts and disputing them doesn't change reality. More males currently drive Teslas... big deal. Females look much better in them and that's what's most important... it's quality not quantity... ;)

I think this is an interesting topic. According to IHS Automotive, Model S customers are 78.5 percent male and 21.5 percent female. That is based on who registered the car at the DMV, so it can be skewed to who actually did the paperwork vs. who drives it on a daily basis.

My own hunch is that, over time, more and more women will become owners and that the X will tilt more heavily toward women.

Dana Hull
Reporter at Bloomberg
[email protected]

Quite a number of the insanely enthusiastic can't-possibly-wait-for-2.5-more-years prospective Model 3 owners I know are young women. Unfortunately, in my generation, the shadow of the glass ceiling may be influencing the percentage of women Model S owners. I hope I am right about the first point and wrong about the second!

I bet that's about the same for Canada since it accords with my own observations. I agree with Dana that over time this will level out but facts are facts and disputing them doesn't change reality. More males currently drive Teslas... big deal. ;)

I assume that this discussion may have some relevance to Tesla as it might feed into better understanding of its market segments.

My interpretation of facts, based on personal anecdotal observations of thousands and more people of both genders (not Tesla drivers, haven't met any yet).

Cars may be important to both genders, but there seem to be differences in how different genders prioritize various life issues, including a car selection and purchase. People tend to make decisions and act based on their personal priorities. Therefore, outright comparisons may have little value if we do not understand what drives people.

Perhaps males tend to be the majority buyers at the moment as the car better addresses what matters to males on their personal priorities hierarchies.

The car is designed by males. If there is a difference in preferences, car details are more likely to reflect male preferences.

Males as a segment simply have more money. Perhaps the skew in wealth is reflected as a skew in Tesla predominant male drivers.

There are other considerations better left alone as they might be too controversial and not worth discussing.

Most likely all of the above.

Last edited:
I'd guess cars tend to be in one name because they get all the applicable discounts (like insurance from some companies) plus car dealers typically charge more for cars sold to women.