TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Attn Future Model S owners in Texas! PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Chris TX, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Our Model S is being shipped out today for a 12-3/4 delivery. Our DM informed us last week that recent changes in Texas have forced Tesla to have 100% of the funds before the vehicle even leaves the factory! This is a change from the usual closing of the loan the day before the delivery, regardless of the car's physical location. I'm sure this has something to do with TADA bitching about an unsold vehicle being sold IN Texas without going through their precious ASSociation.

Please communicate this with your loan source, and/or make sure you've wired the funds to Tesla beforehand. Otherwise, it could cause a delay on the delivery.

Hope that helps!

-Chris

2. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

#2 redi, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    I doubt this is a recent change. This is the same point they made with me 2+ months ago. The DS seems to chase the finance people pretty well behind the scenes to get everything on schedule, but they never mention that you the owner :)

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

This isn't new. It's always been that way for Texas.

4. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

This has helped foster the impression that "you can't buy a Tesla in Texas" which is usually the #2 remark that I get behind "hey what kind of car is that." This really needs to be put in the national spotlight. I know Tesla is in a production bottleneck, but still, the TADA lobby is having its way with Tesla and its prospective customers. Truly a shame.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I agree this isn't anything new. My car was delivered in July and TM had to have the check from the credit union before shipping the car. Remember the car comes to you with temporary California registration. It's already your car when the car when it's put on the truck, bought and paid for.

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Two things:
    1. The DM and DS said this has always been the case, but they have been flexible for many customers. Texas is cracking down this month.
    2. Alliant CU (which many MS owners have used) had previously only been funding based on the delivery schedule, not the shipping schedule.

Like I said, this almost cost us an additional week to wait. Just trying to help, folks.

7. jed-99aggie

jed-99aggie Member

For what it is worth this is the same process I lived through a year ago (end of Nov '12).

The one thing we can all do is let our representatives know that TADA does not represent our interests and the law needs to be corrected to permit a start up from establishing a direct sales model.

BTW - congrats on your new addition.