Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attn Tesla! Preorders for those who already own or have on order!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a phone, it's a car. 8 year olds have iphones. This is not a valid comparison in any way, shape or form.

You obviously do not own a business.

It is always good business to support the folks who have supported you by buying your product...especially when your product is new and unique, and carries a much higher level of risk tolerance by the consumer.

That's like saying that when Apple comes out with a new phone, people who already own one should get first dibs on the new models. Worse yet, to say that prior owners should get first dibs based on time of ownership of previous iPhone products. While the people who started back with the original iPhone would LOVE that, not too many other prospective buyers would.

My point is that if you were saying that and you were neither a Tesla owner nor a TSLA stock holder, I'd think perhaps you really do have completely altruistic reasons for saying it. But when owners say that the fact that they are already owners should give them first dibs, that seems a rather selfish statement.

And that is NOT good for business.

- - - Updated - - -

Who ever suggested that Tesla wouldn't sell you a car?

They won´t do so. Employees first - I agree, but I´m not sure it will happen. But if they sell M3 to their employees first, they will sell the M3 to EVERYBODY second because they are businessmen. They aren´t stupid. And if they sell the M3 to owners and shareholders who can´t get enough second, they will be our beta-testdrivers. Thanks a lot ... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards from Germany

Josh

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla has already done this in the past from Roadster owners to Model S owners. I don't know about Roadster to Model X, or Model S to Model X customers as I am not interested in acquiring a Model X.

I find it rather strange that you think that it is good business to give a better deal to a new customer than an existing customer...if done, that alienates your existing customer base. Repeat business is almost always an "easier sell", than the time and cost involved with cultivating new business.

Regardless, no one is talking about a better deal here...it is simply about offering a new product to your existing customer base first.
If anything good business often means companies give deals to attract new customers that aren't available to existing customers. The existing customers are already sold. In any even I would find it highly unlikely that they would have special consideration for current owners.

The self-righteousness and elitism in this thread is absolutely absurd. I can understand that they might sell the first batch to their workers, improves morale and they get free quality control. I can even get behind that first reservations can be made in the reveal event 24 hours before the form opening to the public. What I do not understand is what is the basis for this mentality:

Since you have not spend 100kEUR in our product before you are considered scum and you aren't actually even entitled to our product before the decent people have bought theirs. You can have leftovers from the trash can afterwards, you human waste.

And yes, I am exaggerating, but that is the feel I am getting from some of these posts.

I wonder if there will be a limit on how many Preorders/Registrations a single person or entity can place for Model ≡... Probably not.

But... If there happened to be a representative from Billy Bob Bleuhardt's Big Blue World of Cars who was willing to cut a check for 20,000 reservations, that would be interesting.

Roadster and S owners got invites to the original X launch event where you were then able to run over to a Tesla employee, write them a check, and you were the first group of people on the list.
That's how I thought it worked,
1 - There wasn't "special ordering" for previous owners, just that folks with existing contact got invited to the launch event that included ordering opportunities.
2 - I didn't think the signature pre-order process required ownership or stockholder status. Just more cash down.

If both of those things are true why would anyone expect it to change for Model 3?

That's like saying that when Apple comes out with a new phone, people who already own one should get first dibs on the new models. Worse yet, to say that prior owners should get first dibs based on time of ownership of previous iPhone products. While the people who started back with the original iPhone would LOVE that, not too many other prospective buyers would.

My point is that if you were saying that and you were neither a Tesla owner nor a TSLA stock holder, I'd think perhaps you really do have completely altruistic reasons for saying it. But when owners say that the fact that they are already owners should give them first dibs, that seems a rather selfish statement.

And that is NOT good for business.

If you are willing to invest your hard earned money in a company and risk loosing it if the company fails then you should be given first consideration.

Funny, a few weeks ago, I pointed out the elitism on here, and was bashed for it, and told I was being overly sensitive.

Maybe the elitism and "douche factor" is a real thing.

Did you know: Not everyone is planning on buying a Model 3 because they're showing off. Some of us actually just want a cost-effective, quality-built car. Some are doing it for the environment, and some are doing because they like gadgets and technology.

And yes, some of you are doing it for approval from the masses.

You should wait in line like everyone else.

Inviting S and X buyers to wait and spend less would be bad for business.

But the bigger issue is that giving S and X customers first dibs on reservations is giving preferential treatment to the wealthy. Roadster, S and X were in similar price brackets, so wasn't a big deal, but this is the Model 3, which is meant to be the "affordable" car, and saying "wait behind all the people who could afford the S and X" wouldn't look good. Of course, they've already said, and we know, that they'll sell high-spec versions first, but that's a different thing to setting up the system directly in a way that encourages indirect discrimination by income, rather than spend.

If you are willing to invest your hard earned money in a company and risk loosing it if the company fails then you should be given first consideration.
According to your signature, you have a P85 that you're either upgrading to, or complementing with, a P90D. I'm happy for you that you can afford top of the line, but not everyone can. For those of you who have P90's to get the first Model 3 reservations is a great way for Tesla to alienate their potential customer base. You wanna be first in line, order a fully loaded Model 3 and you'll get prioritized appropriately. Beyond that, "because I can afford a Model S/X at full price" is not a reason to go to the front of the line.

As for the stock holders, are you trying to convince us that people buy TSLA stock simply because they want Tesla to have that much more working capital? Or, more likely, are they buying TSLA stock because they want to make a profit? The fact is that people invest in a company to make money off that investment. That's not reason enough to go to the front of the line, either. As @ModelNforNerd pointed out, that's just sheer elitism. Get in line like everyone else.

I love the idea of the Builder's series, that's the only way I will be ok with others getting a spot in line before regular customer orders.

I also think allowing registration in stores first is brilliant. It does a good job of separating those who are really looking forward to this car and have been following Tesla from those who will see an article on the morning of April 1st and click a few buttons. I know it's not perfect since some loyal Tesla supporters aren't able to get to a showroom on March 31st, but it's better than the random luck of hoping your computer can connect to Tesla's servers at 12:01 AM on April 1st.

It would be great for tesla to give the 1st preorders options to current owners or people with X orders. Maybe give us a 1 hour window, then open to public.

No it wouldn't - that would be counterproductive for Tesla. I have a Model S myself - thus indicating that I will buy Teslas no matter what - Tesla needs *new* customers at this point - not to satisfy the desires of people like you and I to be first in line so we can flip the cars for a profit or whatever. I'm sure Tesla is not going to take you up on that suggestion - it makes no sense from a business perspective.

In the future, when the Model 3 has been out for a while, I think Tesla would explore the more traditional idea of "loyalty bonuses", but probably not for S/X, or Roadster owners. They can already afford to move up or down the lineup with no issues.

But what about that Model 3 owner who wants to move up to a Model S? Maybe Tesla dangles a carrot to them, whether it be a higher trade-in for their Model 3, or just a discount (probably not more than $3,000) on their Model S?

In the future, when the Model 3 has been out for a while, I think Tesla would explore the more traditional idea of "loyalty bonuses", but probably not for S/X, or Roadster owners. They can already afford to move up or down the lineup with no issues.

But what about that Model 3 owner who wants to move up to a Model S? Maybe Tesla dangles a carrot to them, whether it be a higher trade-in for their Model 3, or just a discount (probably not more than $3,000) on their Model S?
definitely this! I'd be so sad if current owners got the first models... would definitely lose a few potential additions to the Tesla family.

Funny, a few weeks ago, I pointed out the elitism on here, and was bashed for it, and told I was being overly sensitive.

Maybe the elitism and "douche factor" is a real thing.

Did you know: Not everyone is planning on buying a Model 3 because they're showing off. Some of us actually just want a cost-effective, quality-built car. Some are doing it for the environment, and some are doing because they like gadgets and technology.

And yes, some of you are doing it for approval from the masses.

You should wait in line like everyone else.
And some of us are (trying to) do it so we will no longer be subject to the whims of the oil cartel(s) and the speculators. ;)