TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Attorney referral needed, Automotive related. Northern California

Discussion in 'California' started by rcsting, May 15, 2013.

1. rcsting

rcsting Member

I thought that I would throw this out there for some help. My 6 month old car was hit ( Non Tesla) while parked, its now in a Body Shop. I called the shop today for an update and they told me that they caught my car on fire while welding. It is all interior damage. They apparently had no plans to tell me as they had already ordered replacement parts.

Looking for options on how to approach this as ill now have a stinky interior due to fire damage with loss of value.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. Shakespear

Shakespear Member

Have you asked for their insurance coverage/insurance?

3. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Wait for them to fix it. Go to the shop and take a look. Take pictures. Be polite.

4. eAdopter

eAdopter Member

I once owned a large autobody business so trust me on this:
    Notify your insurance company ASAP so they can send an appraiser to document the damage and repair. Most body shops will do the minimum (!) amount of work to cover the damage. They may not do an adequate job on things such as wiring that they can cover with new interior panels. Go take pictures if the insurance company won't. Absolutely don't accept "no" if the body shop won't let you take pictures before, during, and after the repair. Sadly, 100% honest body shop owners are rare. I hate to say that, but I've known dozens of them and have seen a lot of sneaky behavior.

5. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Sorry I have to ask... Were you one of the honest ones ?:)

6. rcsting

rcsting Member

I drove over to inspect my car. I took quite a few pictures. The original damage was $6000.00. Their fire caused an additional $2000.00 in damage. Not a fun situation for me.