TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AU Pricing

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Marec, Mar 1, 2019.

1. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yes, but if you're not pleasing your shareholders, employees or customers you're probably not doing a good job running a company.

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I am not against making brutal, cruel decisions in business, if it is for the greater good.
    If Tesla had calculated that shutting all stores, firing 20,000 people and moving to online-only was going to hasten the transition away from polluting fossil cars, then so be it. I would have applauded their ruthlessness and daring.

But the fact that they've completely reversed this decision means that the original decision wasn't ruthless and daring, it was just stupid and wasteful. Wasteful of the emotional capital in their employees and fans.

• Like x 1
  3. paulp

paulp Active Member

I only keep a car 3-5 years maximum. In the current era of car computing and impending electrification, I think I’ll be testing myself to stretch to 3 years. My first model S didnt make it. I cannot see australian authorities accepting FSD in that time period. Indeed I cant even see them accepting traffic light recognition. I won’t be buying, firstly because I doubt I’ll own the car when FSD arrives, and secondly I enjoy driving. Love the current autopilot. Dont really want more than that for now.

4. paulp

paulp Active Member

If you have unhappy employees you are definately not extracting the maximum opportunity for your company.

5. MrAustraliaTax

When the initial announcement was made and all of a sudden a Model S P100D was $178,000 I was seriously tempted to upgrade. Now with all the shenanigans, all I can think of is;

Do I want to buy a car from this company?
    What incentive do the people that would actually build, check and deliver my car have to make the effort to ensure the car is built properly?

So I put my wallet firmly back in my pocket and will wait and see if company can survive this latest self-inflicted wound.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It's actually $164,000 with no extras, AP not activate.
    Still tempting!

7. paulp

paulp Active Member

This article may help answer your question. Dont waste time on the stupid video though

The World Inside Tesla Is Completely Different From The Media's Portrayal Of Tesla | CleanTechnica

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

9. paulp

paulp Active Member

Tell her they are cheaper this week due to a tesla strategy for free international media exposure, back to full price in a week or two so need to act quick.

10. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I’ll buy a P100D with cash if they will offer me the RVG price on my current one! I can’t ****ing believe that they will give me $85k now, but $102k in two years time! ****ing crazy!!

11. ND100

ND100 Member

$85k for what spec?

12. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yeah the trade price is insane. Too affected by mileage as well.
    Even their inventory cars drop thousands with a few hundred kms added.

14. paulp

paulp Active Member

Sell it privately, then order your new one. The cost of a 2 to 3 month car hire (ifnyou rent with a credit card that covers excess) is minimal if you are buying a tesla to order.

15. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

It’s the insanity of paying me 20k MORE in two years that blows me away. They are basically making a negative investment?

16. Mike75d

Mike75d Member

Yes sounds crazy. Tesla trade in can't compete with private sale because of the massive taxes the government added to initial purchase. Tesla would be crazy to pay more than they first received for the same vehicle but I guess it's all relative to the used market price.
    I might be interested in buying a used p90d but it would have to be AP2 face lift model

17. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

No the weird thing is that Tesla have a buy-back guarantee after X years, which is a percentage of sale price.
    Eg, on my car I have a guarantee of about $60,000 after 5 years with 125,000km.
    But with some cars the current trade-in deal is less than the buy-back guarantee.
    In other words, they will give you $80,000 for you car as a trade, but in 2 more years with more mileage they already have an agreement to give you $100,000 for the car.
    Why can't you cash it out at $100,000 now, when it's in better condition than it will be in 2 years?

18. Mark E

Mark E Member

It's the same for anyone who has an agreed value on a lease - which I've seen from both other manufacturers and leasing companies. Why not pay it out now? Could be a heap of reasons including cash flow implications, the lease could have been offloaded to another company who is taking the hit, etc etc.

Once again, the real difference that matters to both you and Tesla is your out of pocket changeover price if you are buying another Tesla. With lower prices on new models the customer is always better off than if the prices remain high. You only lose money if you are selling the car and not buying another Tesla. Yes, your interest payments are higher now than they would be if you'd waited, but when you are buying into any disruptive tech you expect to pay more.

Think about the depreciation on most IT equipment - it's generally worthless after 4-5 years, sometimes faster.

A new car is actually a terrible investment unless you are buying an extremely limited production collectable with a huge demand - and don't drive it. My 1990 928GT cost it's original owner >$236k plus on road in 1990 money. 10 years later I picked it up for $55k, and it was one of 24 GTs ever sold in Aus over 3 years.

A 2015 Mercedes S63 was over $400k new. A good example with 40,000km on it is now worth $150k or so - $250k over 4 years or $62k per year depreciation.

19. smithy

smithy Member

Oh, one of my favourite cars ever. Was such a great looking car.

So on the FSD current deal of $2800, I couldn't resist, even just to get the upgraded hardware. Will be interesting to see what it reverts to Monday.

20. Vostok

Vostok Member

Yep. The people who have justified this shambolic week with arguments like “no one could have predicted it” or “it had to be done that way otherwise it would have been leaked” clearly have never seen how major decisions are made at big companies.

Big decisions like this should involve a reasonable number of very senior and very experienced people, who know their teams and their business and are good at knowing what issues might arise, ensure the right analysis is done and that the business case is rigorously scrutinised.

The public and staff reaction to the initial decision was entirely predictable and suggestions this was all part of some grander strategic plan are ridiculous. It was a poorly executed screw-up. Simple as that.