Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AU Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing pricing. Definitely feel it's preemptive before the competition arrives. There's also a pretty big slowdown in Aussie car sales at the moment, have a feeling that's why ludicrous is getting bundled here for free.

Difference under $30k from base model to P100DL. No brainer.

Still not sure if it's enough to overcome the old technology in Model S for me. They really need to get 2170s, CCS2 connectors, and new motors in ASAP. At least I wouldn't feel completely ripped off if buying in the meantime.

Sure resale prices have just got smashed but it was always going to happen when the Model 3 landed. Model 3 RWD Long Range such compelling value. Simple, efficient, CCS. Great things ahead....

Last edited:
Amazing pricing. Definitely feel it's preemptive before the competition arrives. There's also a pretty big slowdown in Aussie car sales at the moment, have a feeling that's why ludicrous is getting bundled here for free.

Still not sure if it's enough to overcome the old technology in Model S for me. They really need to get 2170s, CCS2 connectors, and new motors in ASAP. At least I wouldn't feel completely ripped off if buying in the meantime.

Sure resale prices have just got smashed but it was always going to happen when the Model 3 landed. Model 3 RWD Long Range such compelling value. Simple, efficient, CCS. Great things ahead....

The "old technolodgy motors and batteries" in a model X/S is still far better than the new tech in the Audi and Jaguar.

Last edited:

Can you outline a currently available electric car in Australia that has newer technology that is more successful than tesla, so that means motors that accelerate harder, and batteries that provide a greater distance. Not sure how the connector plug impacts The desire to buy a car though.

Sure resale prices have just got smashed but it was always going to happen when the Model 3 landed. Model 3 RWD Long Range such compelling value. Simple, efficient, CCS. Great things
Holy moly fully loaded model s around 180 that is so cheap compared to what it was and what you get.

Must be a big refresh coming
i hope so

Roadster will likely be circa
I just priced a fully loaded P100DL at $190K on the road in SA. I had to double check - it seems so cheap. Great buying for those brave enough to believe the company will survive.
I’ve been following tesla for about 6 years now, and have read 6 years of dribble in the media from people that have a vested interest in taking the company down. Like the one today....this was the headline...”short seller says tesla will go broke”. That fairly much crystallises the issue. Tesla have a lot of people wanting them to fail, and yet for 6 years (plus before I took notice) they have grown and created stunning new products, as well as forced a major change to all car and likely truck manufacturers, and have changed how homeowners can save money on their power.
Bit are their cars popular enough to survive - model 3 was the highest selling car in the US last year. Model S was the hoghest selling luxury car, and model x the highest selling luxury suv. Their home battery is by big margin the most popular on the market, and they have virtually no competition on the large scale battery.
I’d say short sellers, petro companies, and car manufacturers are hitting panic mode.

Reactions: LGGD
short seller says tesla will go broke
Which is the definition of short seller, so a waste of newsprint.
forced a major change to all car and likely truck manufacturers
By far Tesla's biggest impact.
The fossil car companies would have kept us driving/servicing/refuelling/polluting until the end of time if they could have gotten away with it.

Reactions: paulp
The "old technolodgy motors and batteries" in a model X/S is still far better than the new tech in the Audi and Jaguar.
I was referring to the Model 3 which has both the new batteries and motor technology. Most other manufacturers also seem to be embracing PM motors.

Of course the elephant in the room with Audi/Posche is 800V and the much faster supercharging that'll be possible. Their AC charging is also 22kW so current Teslas are going to seem slow by comparison, whether fast charging DC or AC charging overnight. Supercharger V3 is going to address the DC side but no doubt you're going to need the new batteries for it.

Can you outline a currently available electric car in Australia that has newer technology that is more successful than tesla, so that means motors that accelerate harder, and batteries that provide a greater distance. Not sure how the connector plug impacts The desire to buy a car though.

Again I was comparing to Model3, but Porsche is coming this year too. The charge connector is a big deal in the same way VHS over Betamax was a big deal. Everyone is moving to CCS. Tesla included. Model3 has CCS so why not on ModelS already. Sure it's not a big problem today but it'll be noticeable in a few years and probably a major issue in 10. Who knows how long legacy connectors for DC will be grandfathered. Sooner or later they'll decide that AC charging is good enough for the small percentage of pre-CCS cars (early adopters).

Reactions: Marec
I’ve been following tesla for about 6 years now, and have read 6 years of dribble in the media from people that have a vested interest in taking the company down. Like the one today....this was the headline...”short seller says tesla will go broke”. That fairly much crystallises the issue. Tesla have a lot of people wanting them to fail, and yet for 6 years (plus before I took notice) they have grown and created stunning new products, as well as forced a major change to all car and likely truck manufacturers, and have changed how homeowners can save money on their power.
Bit are their cars popular enough to survive - model 3 was the highest selling car in the US last year. Model S was the hoghest selling luxury car, and model x the highest selling luxury suv. Their home battery is by big margin the most popular on the market, and they have virtually no competition on the large scale battery.
I’d say short sellers, petro companies, and car manufacturers are hitting panic mode.

I’m not an owner nor a short seller so I don’t have a vested interest but as an obvervation I’d hazard a guess that sales in AU aren’t going as well as the company would like or there wouldn’t be this massive price drop.

I was referring to the Model 3 which has both the new batteries and motor technology. Most other manufacturers also seem to be embracing PM motors.

Of course the elephant in the room with Audi/Posche is 800V and the much faster supercharging that'll be possible. Their AC charging is also 22kW so current Teslas are going to seem slow by comparison, whether fast charging DC or AC charging overnight. Supercharger V3 is going to address the DC side but no doubt you're going to need the new batteries for it.

Again I was comparing to Model3, but Porsche is coming this year too. The charge connector is a big deal in the same way VHS over Betamax was a big deal. Everyone is moving to CCS. Tesla included. Model3 has CCS so why not on ModelS already. Sure it's not a big problem today but it'll be noticeable in a few years and probably a major issue in 10. Who knows how long legacy connectors for DC will be grandfathered. Sooner or later they'll decide that AC charging is good enough for the small percentage of pre-CCS cars (early adopters).

There is no date set for porshe in australia. Porsche have also declared that 800v charging will only be available at dealerships (can’t help themselves). Everyone claims to have a better product coming compared to tesla. So far none have delivered the goods. Great that tesla is the benchmark. They also have a 12 year head start.

Reactions: ICUDoc and LGGD
I’m not an owner nor a short seller so I don’t have a vested interest but as an obvervation I’d hazard a guess that sales in AU aren’t going as well as the company would like or there wouldn’t be this massive price drop.

I don’t get it, these price drops are not unique to the AU market. Tesla dropped the prices substantially for the Model S and X all over the world so it has nothing to do with what the local sales are doing.

The worldwide price drops in US dollars amplify ever greater here as you then save an additional 33% luxury car tax on that amount as well.

In fact I think Tesla should have take advantage of its software upgradeable options and allow owners to purchase those AFTER taking delivery of the car. That way they could save LCT on each of those options which can add up to thousands of dollars.