Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA (non-canonical thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still looks like they have a couple weeks to go. This is how far they've come since last week:

New pad 2.JPG
photo 1 (1).JPG

I hope they move this quick with the one in West Hartford. I also hope the local utility company turns the Auburn site on faster than the Sagamore site. That has been completed for something like 3-4 weeks and it is off line. Well, at least it was last Sunday.

I hope they move this quick with the one in West Hartford. I also hope the local utility company turns the Auburn site on faster than the Sagamore site. That has been completed for something like 3-4 weeks and it is off line. Well, at least it was last Sunday.

Heading to Philly this coming weekend, charging somewhere in CT but staying near the Edison, SC (first time use).
Blink has raised their prices above and beyond what is reasonable so destination charging in Philly is not
going to happen again. It would be amazing if Auburn were turned on for this trip but that's probably too soon.

Sagamore is held up because of a snag with the electrical contractor's license. Details in the Sagamore thread under the Charging forum.

Thanks for the updates - those pictures look great!! That contractor is making great progress, even with the rain we had. Hopefully the utility will do their part quickly.

I really thought there would be a supercharger Sturbridge/Auburn a year ago - it will make my trips from CT to Boston and Maine MUCH easier.

I was there around 11am (didn't take pictures) and talked to someone who said he is the guy that signs off or certifies the electrical work. He sounded pretty positive that everything looked good and it was just a matter of waiting for the electrical work to be complete, which he thought would be later in the day. I showed him my Model S and talked about how people all over the Northeast are looking forward to the Auburn site opening. I explained that the supercharger was mainly going to be used by people travelling from other areas and shouldn't be used much by local residents.

A couple of guys were there preparing the pad for the transformer. Evidently it must be almost perfectly level because they were using a backhoe to pick up one side to add gravel underneath and then stamp it down and checking the level. I kept hearing one guy say that it was a quarter of an inch off and they seemed to be having a hard time getting that last bit leveled. Sounds like they got it all leveled and added the transformer after I left.

A lot of the guys working there came over to look at the car and ask questions. I've only had it since Friday, so it looked fantastic and still had that showroom smell. They all wanted to know about the range, performance and price. I gave them a min/max for the price (I think I said 70 - 130), and said that the max range was a little north of 250. Seems like the performance impressed them the most. I told one guy that the top speed was only 135 and he just rolled his eyes, laughed and said "Yeah... only". The 0-60 in 4.2 brought a whistle or two and, when I told them that Tesla just announced a new model that did 3.2, they just smiled. A few asked how much we had to pay to use the Supercharger and were surprised that there was no charge. I explained that all the owners were pretty much paying up front for the use of them when we bought the cars.

Even if the electrical is ready, there still looks to be some paving that will be needed before they open it up. With the upcoming storm, that might not happen until next week.

Rain delay. Brian was right. No change from yesterday. Transformer still in crate. Next week at the earliest then.

I think that the wood crate is where the Transformer will go, but the crate looks too small to hold the transformer needed. An 8-stall Supercharger needs at least a 500 kVA transformer. Here is a picture of a 500 kVA transformer in a Colorado Equipment yard, next to my bicycle for scale.

Transformer-1.JPG