TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audi 310 mile electric SUV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

That's 310 miles on the European test standard, which is even more unrealistic than the EPA test standard. And it's announcing a concept car will be shown, hard to get more vaporware than that.

3. jayman

jayman Member

So "Called the Audi e-tron quattro, the sporty SUV concept auto will provide the first look at the luxury brand’s plans for fully electric cars. Audi, a division of Volkswagen, is expected to produce an electric SUV based on the concept starting in 2018."

I'm not holding my breath. How do you compete in 2 years?

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I think given the track record there's an appropriate saying:
    Better late^H^H^H^HTesla than never^H^H^H^H^HAudi.

5. shelbri

shelbri Member

Would you rather a car with 310 miles of range that takes 10hrs to fully recharge on an L2 network or one with 270 miles of range that works on the Supercharger network?

Tesla's advantage with the supercharger network is tremendous although not obvious in these press releases.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

It's almost certain to have DC charging with CCS, so on a good day that's probably half the supercharger rate, but try finding a CCS charging where you want one when you're on a trip.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

an SUV that's only a 4 seater when the MS and MX already have 5+2 , 7 people.... plus Audi doesn't have the supercharger network. nobody's going to be road tripping much in this tiny SUV.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Still, it's nice to see Elon's wish come true and have other manufacturers jump on the bandwagon. That is really what he wanted Tesla to do. WRT the 310 miles, I look at it like the Model S's initial promise of 300. It will likely end up being very comparable to the Model X in terms of range if it all holds true.

9. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

Let me guess. Audi is planning to produce 5000-10,000 of this vehicle in 2018? Yawn.

10. Rashomon

Rashomon Member

photo and comment

The 310-mile range with 90kWh may not entirely be BS. I'd love to know what the frontal area is relative to the X and S, as the claimed 0.25 Cd (and VW's numbers are usually good) is reasonable. This does look more like a not-very-tall station wagon than the X, and I suspect it's narrower. The car appears to be leaning away into a curve in the artist's concept (surely pulled from CAD), which lifts the car side facing the viewer even more. I'll bet the ground clearance isn't that impressive.

Attached Files:

11. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

In that picture, I spy some retractable sideview camera stalks. Me likey!