Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi A8: Tesla killer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone wanted your RAV4EV because there were no new EVs produced for about 10 years and they were very rare, the minute the leaf came out, used EV price dropped. The model S is going to depreciate in a similar way equivalent ICE car are depreciating, or even more if the battery life is known to be short (even though I think Tesla batteries packs are rock solid, I really doubt that in 10 years and 200000km you'll get similar performances as today).

According to Cars-dot-com... The 2014 AUDI A8 has a depreciation of $27,212 the first year. It has a depreciation of $49,566 over five years. And that's the version that starts at $75,100. Yeah.

That by the way is the reason Elon could give the "buy-back" price guarantee: The S-Class Mercedes is at least as bad if not worse than the A8 with regards to depreciation so it was unlikely that a Model S would be worth less than the S-Class - hence the guaranteed buy-back price is not that risky at all.

We owned an A6 several years ago and while we completely loved the interior design and its general use, it became a real problem right towards the end of its warranty period (various electrical problems, sealant failures from the engine, etc). While I still appreciate Audis from a design point, our personal experience with the unreliability and expenses have discouraged my wife and I away from future purchases from the brand.

I'm speculating, but I remember reading an industry article some time ago that discussed Audi's recent change in executive leadership due to the board's dissatisfaction with their lack of commitment to electric transport (e-tron) and the perception from consumers of the brand falling behind the curve in advancing technologies. Maybe that's why there's such a push from Audi?