Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi charge fee, an people kicked off about Tesla price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, it's even worse than predicted: with heavy HPC usage pricing is tailored to cost just a little more than running a diesel at 30mpg in Germany, whereas for light usage they casually drop a penalty/premium of 77% on top! Like being ritually slapped in the face with a beer-soaked Lederhosen, 'tis definitely geared to curb any enthusiasm! (and allow them to comfortably continue selling mostly ICE for the next decade)

Scenario 1, Heavy: e-Tron 84kWh effective battery, HPC charging x20 monthly

= €17.95 + ((84*0.33)*20) + (8*20)
= €732.35/month for EPA range ~210 miles [338km] * 20 = 4,200miles [6,759km] on 20*84 = 1,680kWh

= €0.1083/km = $0.1998/mile
= €0.436/kWh = $0.503/kWh

Scenario 2, Light: e-Tron 84kWh effective battery, HPC charging x4 monthly

= €17.95 + ((84*0.33)*4) + (8*4)
= €160.83/month for EPA range ~210 miles [338km] * 4 = 840miles [1,352km] on 4*84 = 336kWh

= €0.1915/km = $0.3532/mile
= €0.479/kWh = $0.549/kWh

For comparison:

Cost to drive gasoline @25mpg @$2.48/gal in New York = $0.0992/mile
Cost to drive gasoline @25mpg @$3.28/gal in California = $0.1312/mile
Cost to drive diesel @30mpg @€1.25/l ($5.42/gal) in Germany = $0.1807/mile

So it's good news for Tesla's market share, as this structure strongly indicates the German OEM cartel will never be a competitive threat in the recharging business with their Ionity/EA offerings :D

In fact Tesla should ruthlessly take advantage of the unforced error by letting the cartel CCS-BEV customers individually register their VIN & CC-details, then charging them €0.35/kWh flat at the SuC, thus stealing away most revenue from Ionity/EA and using it to subsidise expansion of the Tesla v3 network much faster than otherwise possible! :D :D

sources:
Audi unveils e-tron electric SUV charging pricing structure, it’s not simple or cheap
US Average Gas Prices by State
Germany diesel prices, 28-Jan-2019 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com
https://www.carmax.com/research/mpg-calculator

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and David99
That's when you use Audi's payment system? I assume you can just get the cards/fobs for the different charging networks in Europe and pay/use them that way. I realize it is a pain in the butt having to sign up with all the different providers. Same here in the US. Audi just wants to make it easier for their customers by offering them a service that covers all and of course that's going to be more expensive.

Nothing prevents you from having your home charger and use that for the vast majority of driving, just like every other EV owners does.

That's when you use Audi's payment system? I assume you can just get the cards/fobs for the different charging networks in Europe and pay/use them that way. I realize it is a pain in the butt having to sign up with all the different providers. Same here in the US. Audi just wants to make it easier for their customers by offering them a service that covers all and of course that's going to be more expensive.

Nothing prevents you from having your home charger and use that for the vast majority of driving, just like every other EV owners does.

I severely doubt the IONITY chargers will be any cheaper if using them outside of Audi's payment system, as that would defeat the purpose for their customers and Audi themselves, who are original partners in building the IONITY system.

Naturally people can still charge at home, which will be cheaper, but my figures are meant to show a meaningful comparison of IONITY to fossil fuel costs. [BTW, Supercharger in Europe averages about $0.30/kWh for those on PAYG]

I severely doubt the IONITY chargers will be any cheaper if using them outside of Audi's payment system, as that would defeat the purpose for their customers and Audi themselves, who are original partners in building the IONITY system.

Naturally people can still charge at home, which will be cheaper, but my figures are meant to show a meaningful comparison of IONITY to fossil fuel costs. [BTW, Supercharger in Europe averages about $0.30/kWh for those on PAYG]

I much appreciate your info and calculations! Don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to understand. I'm not familiar with the different charging providers across Europe. From YouTube videos it seems it's similar to here in the US. many different providers/networks and all their their own memberships and prices. It is a PITA to sign up with all of them and keep all the different cards with you and the accounts updated all the time. I assume Audi is trying to consolidate that into one service for their customers. It's a good idea, just pricey

I much appreciate your info and calculations! Don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to understand. I'm not familiar with the different charging providers across Europe. From YouTube videos it seems it's similar to here in the US. many different providers/networks and all their their own memberships and prices. It is a PITA to sign up with all of them and keep all the different cards with you and the accounts updated all the time. I assume Audi is trying to consolidate that into one service for their customers. It's a good idea, just pricey

Yes, I never used the others myself but read a lot from those forced to about the generalised PITA of broken HW or SW being rife -- avoiding that hellacious mess was one more argument for me to get into Tesla, going with the reliable SuC network.

The Audi scheme will presumably be some help, at a price, and the 350kW IONITY network will be great (in expense too) when built out. Currently they have ~50 locations with avg. 4..6 stalls, but plan for 400 locations by end of 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99