Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi etron in person, disappointing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got a chance to see one, I honestly am not sure why it gets all the hype. Maybe it is the badge, maybe it is the drivetrain? Honestly, the interior is not much different a standard Audi SUV. The car is too small to be a family car, it feels like one of those little Range Rover to me.

Honestly, the interior is not much different a standard Audi SUV. The car is too small to be a family car, it feels like one of those little Range Rover to me.
Well yeah, that's a good thing it's not much different than a standard Audi.

Too small? You must be American.
My family car currently is a Porsche 911. ;)
It fits skis or bikes on the roof rack no problem, you can put enough stuff in the back seats lol.

I'll probably opt for the E-Tron in a few years.

I think it has a large number of advantages over the Model Y, and Model X.

Better suspension
Better UI
Better Seats
360 surrounds view (where you can see curbs and stuff)
Available Heads up Display

The main advantage Tesla has is the Supercharger network. The Electrify America network still leaves a lot to be desired.

I finally got a chance to see one, I honestly am not sure why it gets all the hype. Maybe it is the badge, maybe it is the drivetrain? Honestly, the interior is not much different a standard Audi SUV. The car is too small to be a family car, it feels like one of those little Range Rover to me.
Maybe you didn't like it because it didn't look like a Tesla interior? There's a huge segment out there today that wants a car to look like a car has always looked and feel like the quality interior that Audi has. To each his own, I love it.

As for inefficiency, lots of discussions on this point - define efficient? Can the X carry my family, dogs and roof box for luggage like I do when I go on vacation? Nope, have to take something else - that's inefficient. Agreed it's less efficient than a Leaf, but it's efficient enough.

Dzm

Better suspension
Better UI
Better Seats

The main advantage Tesla has is the Supercharger network. The Electrify America network still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd say the Supercharger network is a big advantage, but the difference in efficiency (energy used for you pedants) as well. The range and performance plus charging cost due to said efficiency is quite different between the Model Y and e-tron. Heck, even the Model X is more efficient than the e-tron and it's significantly larger.

And not sure I agree on better UI on the e-tron. That's certainly a matter of opinion. The 15" touchscreen used by Tesla is exceptional for navigation and general ease of use. But the interiors and overall vehicles are quite different, they'll each have their buyers.

I'd say the Supercharger network is a big advantage, but the difference in efficiency (energy used for you pedants) as well. The range and performance plus charging cost due to said efficiency is quite different between the Model Y and e-tron. Heck, even the Model X is more efficient than the e-tron and it's significantly larger.

And not sure I agree on better UI on the e-tron. That's certainly a matter of opinion. The 15" touchscreen used by Tesla is exceptional for navigation and general ease of use. But the interiors and overall vehicles are quite different, they'll each have their buyers.

I've never gotten anywhere close to the rated range on either the Model S or the Model 3 in any real world driving. Now sure I can get there on a summer day if I drive slow.

Sure I can get there by using the smaller uglier tires/wheels. But, for all practical purposes the rated range is meaningless to me. So on that one I'm going to wait to see what people actually experience. The Germans tend to be more conservative with numbers they give than Tesla tends to be.

Now I don't expect it to be as efficient since nothing about the E-tron screams efficiency. Instead it looks to be a vehicle designed to trade off efficiency in favor of more durability, and a more richer interior. I imagine it's quieter inside than either the Model Y, or the X.

I keep going back to the charging network because it's the one thing Tesla did so well on that it's hard for anyone else to compete. It's not just how they did the supercharging network with how many stalls (on average) a site has, but it's also the destination chargers as well. It's so well done that I don't even need to stop at a supercharger on my trips to Portland. If I drive conservatively I can do the almost 200 miles trip without stopping to charge. I simply book a hotel that has destination charging.

I preferred the UI of the S because I could have all the information I wanted displayed where I wanted it. I really felt at home in that vehicle and part of me is kinda bummed I traded it in.

The UI in the 3/Y is clearly designed with autonomous driving in mind. That would be fine if we had autonomous driving, but instead Tesla is taking an iterative approach to autonomous driving.

The iterative approach means that the UI/UX of the vehicle needs to be aware of what the driver is doing (are they paying attention), and it needs to notify the driver to what it detects.

As it is right now drivers like myself miss half the notifications the car tells us. It's off to the side, and I'm paying attention to the road. I really wish Tesla would add a notification history. I'd also like them to add the notifications to to the dashcam video (like a closed captioning that could be turned on/off).

We also struggle with torque sensor failing to detect our hands properly. Even if it did work better it still would be in inadequate way to measure driver engagement.

I think it's too early to tell what the Model Y will have. Over the next year or so I expect Tesla/Elon to transition away from the torque sensor to a system similar to what the Cadillac Supercruise system uses.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
I saw it today at the NYIAS press day. The interior is similar to the current line up from Audi. It’s nice but not amazing. The car overall is nice but the range is disappointing.

B5A41619-3108-4780-A86A-FB431866448B.jpeg

Reactions: mrwuffles

Better suspension
Better UI
Better Seats

And range.
And Autopilot (and NOA)
And navigation
And software updates

Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
It's awesome, driving in Switzerland, I usually get a range of 370km. Charging is super fast, 150kW until 80%, 50kW all the way to 100%.
Build quality is superb, Audi A6 / Q7 like. Inside it is by far the quietest car I ever had, even quieter than a Mercedes S Class.
I am not missing the Tesla Model S yet that I had before.

54432517_843232142685127_8979177294669021184_o.jpg

EA is building out 3x as fast as Tesla did, From it's first install Tesla had 35 superchargers in a year. We're at 11 months from EA's first install and they have 108 stations installed, EA is also installing CCS, Chademo, and J1772 at every station

EA is building out 3x as fast as Tesla did, From it's first install Tesla had 35 superchargers in a year. We're at 11 months from EA's first install and they have 108 stations installed, EA is also installing CCS, Chademo, and J1772 at every station

What matters to me more than stations is stalls at the station.

I'm definitely hoping for the best for EA because I like having choices.

I figured the E-Tron would be next SUV/Crossover, but after looking at some of Rivian stuff I have to say I'm impressed with what they have.

Picked mine up 3 weeks ago.
It's awesome, driving in Switzerland, I usually get a range of 370km. Charging is super fast, 150kW until 80%, 50kW all the way to 100%.
Build quality is superb, Audi A6 / Q7 like. Inside it is by far the quietest car I ever had, even quieter than a Mercedes S Class.
I am not missing the Tesla Model S yet that I had before.

View attachment 399822

What's the longest trip you'd feel comfortable going on without charging? You say you have a range of 230 miles, but Audi says the range is more like 200 miles.

That 200 miles is going to scare off a lot of people. Where someone like me is going to figure a real world range (at 70mph or 112kph) is only going to be about 150miles before I want to charge,

With the Model 3 I can easily go well over 200 miles while still having plenty of buffer.

Reactions: Evoforce

You are really comparing what Tesla did in 2012/2013 to the build out under penalty that VAG is doing in 2018/2019?