Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a shift here. The hydrogen fuel cell seems to have stalled on the side of the road with the charade largely over.
All the car makers have now seen the Lithium EV race by and they are now racing to catch up. They guys are now 5 or more years behind Pole position.

Audi to offer electric cars in 5-10 years: report | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

Thank you Martin.

5-10 years is a complete joke. They'll get smoked with the competition out there and frankly deserve it. To make statements that something like a car is 5-10 years in the pipeline is silly.

Possible small electric Audi in development

Audi?s new green baby is shaping up! | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

car_photo_289338_7.jpg

Yet near-100mpg fuel returns are clearly not enough – as an electric powertrain is also under development. Details are sketchy at the moment, but ultra-low running costs and emissions are guaranteed.

the A2 had a certain type of DNA with its aluminium body, and this should be respected. But electric drive is a must.”

Audi A2: Successor coming, we have first impressions! - The German Car Blog

The Audi A2 is expected for 2014 the very latest and it will be aligned with the small city car Audi E1 (first time to mention that name!) and the Mini-killer Audi A1.

None of the English articles seem to mention this, but the source is Audi boss Rupert Stadler, so we can read some degree of truth into it. The E1 will be an electric city car.

Also, it is said that the A2 will first appear as a 3 litre car (or 100mpg - there was one of these available in the old A2 range in Germany too, a diesel 1.2l). Later on they plan a hybrid and/or electric version. Rather than being all aluminium (as was the last version), the new one will feature composite aluminium, steel and plastic construction.

lt, it won’t be to save money.
I argued that the first generations of new technology always have to be subsidized by the well off who may have many different reasons for buying it.
“You are right,” he said, all new technology always cost more. He noted that was why luxury cars usually lead the way with groundbreaking technology.
I asked if he believed that that Chevy Volt design doesn’t match a high end car. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” he said. “I don’t find it an unattractive car.”
“Its not a premium car feel,” he said. “But it’s got a premium car price.

Someone else said the Volt should have been a Cadillac to have it be Ok to be expensive and hide the costs within the sticker price.

What if that had happened? What if all the makers adopted the "luxury car first" model that Tesla did? (some may argue that that actually is happening) Would that hake the general public more forgiving of the whole EV shift?

Last edited:
Last I heard, the Converj may not make production.
I think the argument was the Volt should have been a Cadillac all along and there shouldn't have been a Chevy version.

IMO I think the decision to go with Chevy was because the initial estimate was only $30k, which is something Chevy can bear. Now that it is $40k, it is squarely in premium car territory. If the Volt ever makes it back down to $30k (there is a good chance the next generations can do so) then it will make more sense.