Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankfurt 2009: Audi e-tron - 4 motors, 1 battery and 3,319 lb-ft of torque! — Autoblog

Main Site

6897_f_opt.jpg

Those with a passion for torque were disappointed when it became clear that Audi was unlikely to ever build a production version of the R8 V12 TDI that was shown at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show. Now the automaker has come back with a new R8-based concept that puts the diesel to shame. The new e-tron packs four electric motors and a lithium-ion battery pack with a fairly tame-sounding 313 hp but an insane 3,319 lb-ft of torque. The run to 62 mph takes 4.8 seconds, but rolling acceleration from 37-75 mph takes just 4.1 seconds thanks to the e-tron's massive amount of twist.

While acknowledging that electric vehicles are still far from economically viable volume production vehicles, Audi is nonetheless working on electric technology, both for hybrids and pure EVs. The pack sports a 53kWh capacity of which 42.4 kWh is usable. The pack weighs in at 1,036 pounds out of a total vehicle weight of 3,527 pounds and is mounted ahead of the rear axle and liquid cooled. Each of the axles sports two electric motors allowing the e-tron to retain Audi's signature quattro all-wheel drive. The e-tron has an estimated range of 154 miles on the EU combined driving cycle and you can read more about it in Audi's official press release after the jump.

Reading through the whole press release, it seems like Audi's engineers (or maybe their PR department) went through this site and drew up a check list of everything we like to talk about:

- LED lighting
- 4WD through independent motors
- Touch screens
- Inductive charging
- 400V 63A fast charging
- Aluminium
- Heat pumps

But one thing here makes me a bit suspicious: 53kWh...

Given that this is a concept, I'm surprised they didn't drop an Li-S battery and claim a range of over 300 miles too.

Last edited:
I take it HP has a much larger influence on 0-60 time then torque does?? The 0-60 time sounds slow for a car with 3319ft-lbs of torque...

It is really power (actually power to mass ratio) that counts, but power is just torque multiplied by RPM (with appropriate units). An electric motor has high and relatively flat torque from 0 to the mid RPM range. That high torque means it can produce relatively high power in the low rpm range.

Surprise - e-tron is not the first Audi electric supercar concept...

Audi R-Zero | Concept Cars

Audi-R-Zero-concept.jpg

audi-r-zero-cutaway.jpg

Franck Levivier, Rémi Marchand and Pierre-Olivier Wagner's collaboration centered around a desire to create a concept supercar for a time when the world could no longer rely on oil for a source of power.

Essential to the R-Zero's design was a belief that despite the cars environmentally friendly credentials it should have the ability to excite.

A projected 1091 horsepower comes from four individual in-wheel electric motors powered by a row of batteries positioned just forward of the rear axle.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the e-Tron.

In-wheel motors, 4WD, does anybody have any experience with this? If these are AC motors, are they planning on using 4 PEMs? The fun of 4WD is that each wheel can be controlled independently of the others, but controller-wise this is not all that easy (and thus expensive).

Regen also gives 4 slightly different frequencies (all out of phase) which have to be rectified to charge the batteries.

And have we solved to unsprung-mass issue with in-wheel motors and sports-like handling? In-wheels may work for a Ford Fiesta (MiEV, Mini-E, etc.) but would you want that in an EV?

Perhaps I should sign up for that EV drive train course after all...

In-wheel motors, 4WD, does anybody have any experience with this? If these are AC motors, are they planning on using 4 PEMs? The fun of 4WD is that each wheel can be controlled independently of the others, but controller-wise this is not all that easy (and thus expensive).

Regen also gives 4 slightly different frequencies (all out of phase) which have to be rectified to charge the batteries.

And have we solved to unsprung-mass issue with in-wheel motors and sports-like handling? In-wheels may work for a Ford Fiesta (MiEV, Mini-E, etc.) but would you want that in an EV?

Perhaps I should sign up for that EV drive train course after all...

I don't think the motors are in the wheels but more likely part of the sprung weight and connected by short axles.
Given Audi's on again off again track record with hybrids I wouldn't hold my breath on this one and if I were a potential buyer, I'd wait to see what the production version looks like.
On the other hand, the e-Tron was the most the popular EV introduced at Frankfurt according to ABG readers who participated in a poll, edging out my favorite, the Trabant nT.

Last edited:
The Audi EV will be an "R4": "Mini R8" is raring to go! | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

car_photo_336961_7.jpg

Here are the pictures that show Audi is on a real charge when it comes to electric sports cars.

This is the preview of the new R4 – a production version of the stunning electric e-tron concept car, revealed at last month’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

Wowing crowds with its zero emissions electric powertrain, the e-tron was a big hit at Frankfurt. But only now has Audi of America’s president Johan de Nysschen confirmed the Tesla Roadster rival will reach showrooms.

This new sports car range will feature an electric version at the very top of the line-up, with petrol versions underneath.

As you can see from our illustrations, it will look striking. It mixes the compact, squat proportions of the e-tron concept car with amazing design cues such as those LED C-shaped headlights, along with a trademark Audi grille and scalloped sides. Seen here in targa-topped roadster trim, it will also be available as a coupé and a drop-top.

The new flagship will be powered by a development of the e-tron’s electric powertrain. There’s a lithium-ion battery pack with four electric motors, two on each axle, giving it a fresh take on Audi’s quattro four-wheel-drive theme.

These give an output of around 300bhp, as well as an incredible 4,500Nm of torque, delivering instant acceleration with 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds. Top speed is likely to jump from the concept’s 124mph to a more supercar-like 140mph – all with no tailpipe emissions.

As in the concept, the 470kg lithium-ion battery is placed in the middle of the car, where the engine would be. Once fully charged, it promises to deliver a range of about 155 miles.

Audi To Build R4 Electric Roadster

Inside Line says: Tesla better get to every tree-hugging celebrity in town before this eco-friendly looker is let loose in the über-trendy green arena. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

Seems like they really do want to compete directly with the Roadster.

I'm not sure about the idea to offer ICE versions of the car. On the one hand there will be cost savings sharing parts with the ICE's, and I like that they are positioning the EV version as the premium unit. On the other hand it takes away the exclusivity of the car by having ICE versions. When you see a Tesla Roadster you know it's an EV.