Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
01-audi-etron-live-la.jpg

Is this orange or VFX copper?

REPORT: Audi e-tron sales to be limited to 1,000 units - Autoblog Green

So, um... want one? The line forms at the rear, and you'd better not dawdle as Audi says its only planning to build 1,000 of them. Naturally, pricing has yet to be set, but it's reportedly expected to be "above R8 levels" (MSRP for a 2009 R8 is $123,300). Regardless, with all those lithium ion batteries and their associated electronic gadgetry, we don't imagine that Audi plans to make much of a profit when it finally goes on sale in two years.

Audi e-tron confirmed for production | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Costing more than the R8 supercar, it is expected the showroom-ready e-tron will carry a price tag of around £120,000. Featuring the same lithium-ion battery pack and four electric motors, it will get a new aluminium spaceframe chassis and a lightweight aluminium body, virtually identical to the e-tron concept. What's more the e-tron name will be carried over too - although not in France, where 'etron' is slang for fecal matter.

Development has already started on the newcomer. Project team leader Thomas Krauter told Auto Express: "Apart from some of the dramatic aluminium trim pieces, the exterior will stay the same on the production car. We will manage the aerodynamics with an underfloor tray so there will be no large spoilers and the car will maintain its simple look. Between now and 2012, our acoustic department will create a synthesised 'engine' sound too, but our biggest challenges will be to keep all the electrical systems cool - and also to integrate the latest battery technology."

The level of refinement in the E-Tron impressed us, and the contrast with the Tesla Roadster is striking. While the Tesla, which has been in production for some time, still feels like a prototype, the E-Tron looks and acts like a finished product. The flawless execution bears witness to the perfectionism at Audi, which other German carmakers struggle to match. Mercedes, which has a stake in Tesla, now has a lofty benchmark for its electric SLS.

Any roadster owners want to comment on that? I've personally noticed from photos and my one ride in one that the interior does seem a bit... utilitarian, but is it THAT bad?

No, it's not bad at all. The '08 interior is purposefully spartan. I like the vestigal stick shift - sort of like permanent irony with a smirk on the side - I know why it's there, I find it fun and quirky. I like my super-zen shelf that holds only my sunglasses and company badge. There are a couple of odd things if you look in the wrong direction (don't look back where the hardtop attaches), but the same thing was true of my 911 convertible. As for prototype? No, the interior fit and finish is to my liking - no, not established automaker tight, but I've really got no complaints. And I find now that the steering wheel is the right size - others are all too big.

I've always disliked Audi's overly bleak interiors. Gray, gray, everywhere. You can't ever fault the fit, but they're just not nearly as personable as I find my '08's interior to be. Quality isn't just about the fit - FURPS, baby!

Oh, and if Audi is still using that #$*&*@$ ugly EFD in the dash cluster (Atari dashboards are so 1985!), well, that pretty much would make it a non-starter for me (if the eTron's, uhm, lackluster? performance didn't, relatively speaking). Their stupid cluster info display has made me cringe every time I've driven one. Porsche and MB got that part right (backlight inverted LCD), Audi (and VW) should catch a planet-sized clue.

So... it's about personal tastes? ;-)

Audi's electric R8 is plug-in perfect! | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express

The e-tron has a range of 154 miles, while the battery pack can be recharged from a 400V supply in two hours. Plug into a regular household socket, and it takes six hours. The most striking thing about the car is its size. Although it’s inspired by the R8, the body isn’t much bigger than a Ford Fiesta.

More journalistic BS...

The two hour charge assumes 100% efficiency from a 400V/63A/3P outlet (43kWh usable capacity in the pack). The domestic charge thing is, once again, rubbish.

Neat details include a metallic grille, which has a movable flap. This stays shut for maximum aerodynamic efficiency in normal driving, but can open to cool the car’s systems.
I don't see that huge vertical slab of a grille being very aerodynamic when shut. I don't know why it wasn't made smaller, angled back some, and built flush with the front end.

I don't see that huge vertical slab of a grille being very aerodynamic when shut. I don't know why it wasn't made smaller, angled back some, and built flush with the front end.

Sometimes aerodynamics seem a little counter intuitive. Letting air go through could result in turbulence causing drag whereas having a flat blocking surface might help in some cases. Sometimes uninterrupted surfaces do better than something with holes that let some of the air through.

You misunderstood. I wasn't suggesting a smaller open grill. The grill I described would operate the way they described, closed most of the time and open when extra cooling is needed, but just smaller and more aerodynamic.
I can't see an EV needing a larger cooling opening than most ICE's, and that's what that grill looks like.