TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audi Executive tapped for VP Production

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by X Fan, May 14, 2016.

1. X Fan

X Fan Member

2. X Fan

X Fan Member

thanks, missed it........

3. N5329K

N5329K Member

This sounds promising. Audi cars were once ridiculed as warmed-over VW's, especially their interiors. Then, in the 1990's, they got serious about fit, finish and materials. One of their designers put it this way: "Our investments in the cabin paid off because our customers sensed through even the small things the precision with which the car was built."
    This would be a welcome change at Tesla, where executing high-quality interiors has been a challenge. Mininmalism can sometimes be used as an excuse for poor or absent detailing. But it can (and should) be done with the same precision other high end builders employ when they go for opulence. Audi knows this firsthand. I hope this new exec does, too.
    Robin

4. electracity

electracity Active Member

The issue with interiors feels to me like too much input from Musk. The new Mercedes interiors, and the Volvo XC-90 for those who like upscale scandinavian spartan look, are superior yet are put in much less expensive cars than the S/X.

For Musk's taste in interiors, they should hire the Volvo cabin designer and let him/her make the decisions. No more "best in the world second row seats" that need to be made in house.

I am encouraged that the Model 3 seems to have a center console with cupholders as standard.

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

This isn't your interior guy. This is your 'how to make a lot of cars, quick, efficiently and well' kind of guy.

6. N5329K

N5329K Member

They're going to need both, then.
    Robin

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Why? Model 3 is a $35k base price car with an even more minimalist (it appears) interior than Model S. If they didn't have the interior guy you wanted for the S or X, what makes you think that person is on their list for the lower level 3?

8. N5329K

N5329K Member

If you check in over at the Model X threads, I think you'll see a lot of "issues" with fit and finish with brand new cars. Body panels, doors, seals, windows, glass. And seats, headliners, carpets and trim. These problems might be acceptable in a subcompact econobox where expectations are pretty low. They aren't acceptable in a premium car, or even in an entry-level premium car like the 3. Expectations are much higher, and they won't go away with cool software. These wrinkles will have to be mostly ironed flat before the 3 is set loose in large numbers, because if they aren't addressed at the factory, they will swamp the SC's.
    Seems to me, anyway.
    Robin

9. YBT

YBT Member

They got the fellow from Porsche who proposed the interior for the Mission E Concept.

Even better perhaps? The M3 interior will re-write the standard for all cars. You'll see...

10. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

I see this as very good news.