TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AUDI going after Tesla Touchscreen ergonomics- iPad as central hardware.

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tray loader, Dec 13, 2012.

1. tray loader

tray loader Member

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I wouldn't read too much into the prototype using an IPad. It's far easier to write an app and plop in a commodity device like the IPad when you're doing prototype work, than to invest up front in that particular component.

Hell, it makes you wonder why they don't use an XBox or Playstation when prototyping other things.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd agree with Brianman, though it doesn't look HORRIBLE. I don't think Audi will get EVs right for a long time though. I would buy an extended range Audi however.

4. lgagliardi

lgagliardi Member

Still seem pretty far behind Tesla. IMHO the only way to catch up to Tesla is to buy them. I personally would not buy any vehicles that was not 100% electric from here on out in my life.

5. colinb

colinb Member

Nice to see some effort being put into the UI of in-car info systems. Most that I've seen to date are quite primitive.

6. Anzir

Anzir Member

Interesting. Ferrari did this (in a very basic manner) back in 2009 with the 16M where they switched the Becker unit with an iPhone to control the radio/nav/phone.
    Interesting but it's not beautiful.

7. Dan5

Dan5 Member

My concern would be that the Ipad would get stolen. At least with the Tesla screen it does not have any other uses, except for another Tesla. Ipads are worth more to a thief than a custom screen

8. colinb

colinb Member

Very true - I've had two GPS units stolen from my car's glove box and center console storage. I imagine the iPad would be gone in a flash if some low life saw it.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

One thing, after watching the video... It does look a bit more ergonomic since it has the big hump to rest your arm on as you use it.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Absolutely. A friend of mine lost an iPad within minutes of (briefly) forgetting it in his car.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You might recall some of us raised a similar concern when we saw the initial shots of the Model X's "extrovert" screen.