Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Q4 e-tron VS Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm super excited about the Q4 e-tron. I think it looks great, and the specs look quite good. I've also been an Audi fan for years, and before the Model 3 existed I was lusting after the S4, so it's not too surprising that I gravitate towards Audi.

I will admit I have a love/hate relationship with my Model 3 (LR AWD Aug 2018 Build). The drivetrain is phenomenal and _always_ brings a smile to my face when I give it a go, the sound system is also fantastic, but almost everything else slightly irritates me. I still want an "instrument cluster", proper blind spot indicators, heated steering wheel, normal door handles, a normal key (phone key still an issue in 2020, thankfully buying a fob for the 3 has fixed the big issues, but it still doesn't detect the key inside the car 100% of the time forcing me to 'unlock' it again before putting it in drive), normal doors (frameless doors suck with freezing rain), loud cabin at highway speeds. I could go on, but you get the idea. These are not problems in my Wife's A4, and I have confidence these would not be problems with any Audi for that matter.

My Model 3 was never going to be a long term car for me with a growing family, and I always knew I'd be replacing it with an SUV within a few years. The Model Y is the natural choice, but the Q4 is very tempting. It's timing lines up well with our needs so waiting a couple of years is fine in my case, which works out in 2 ways. The Q4 making it to production and arriving as well as giving EA more time to build out it's charging network.

As much as Elon has repeatedly stated that he doesn't want the Super Charging network to be a profit center, it certainly is a huge demand generator/protector. As the SC network is such a nice feature of a Tesla. The EA network isn't nearly as convenient for my frequent weekend trips (Boston to LI), but I'm hoping that will improve. Will it improve _enough_ in the time I need to get a bigger car? Well that's the big question, and I don't have a good answer at this point.

tl;dr - Sorry got rambly there. Yes, the Q4 is super interesting. I have gripes with my Model 3, still happy I bought it, but I'm also happy that competition and more choice is arriving into the EV space