TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audi R8 E-tron EV track record

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by kenliles, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Model S Performance Edition can hold up to the R8 E-tron WRT acceleration but not with the top speed of 250km/h (180 mph) of the specially-modified prototype. Note that this modification over the standard R8 E-tron top speed of 200km/h decreased lap time from 2:26 to 2:08. That's huge.

The Model S drive train is designed to deliver maximum torque up to 100km/h (60mph) and RPM are maxed out at top speed of 205 km/h (130 mph). You can change the fixed gear ratio but will lose torque doing that.

So in order to compete with the R8 e-tron, Model S must play well in other fields to compensate these 15 seconds. Shed a lot of weight. Tweak aerodynamics and peak power delivery. Make full use of better handling due to low CG.

Still that would be a daunting task and I don't see Tesla wasting a buck on this.

3. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

Thanks VolkerP. Agree , I want TEsla focused on mass production of street cars and lower cost with useable performance
    Still it's another good example of the bright future for EV

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The top speed/gearing's the biggest issue (135mph is very slow for this track). Power is not (the e-tron has 280kW, the Model S Performance has 310kW).

But the other issue is that the Model S is a sedan (almost 2108 kg) and not a two seater like the R8 E-tron (1780 kg). That's responsible for a lot of the weight difference (besides 85kWh vs 49kWh of battery capacity and the fact the R8 E-tron uses a lot of carbon fiber). 328kg is a lot to make up for.