Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi re-focusing on Hydrogen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lowest cost I've been able to find for an automotive fuel cell stack is Toyota claiming they can get the cost down to$8K with mass production. That's about what Tesla can do for a 75kWh battery. Then there's the issue of storing the H2. The numbers I've seen are about $20 per kWh.

Taking the two together, and adding in developing and running a new distribution system for H2 I don't see how it would be cheaper to go with H2 than batteries.
That $8K is for a Mirai... which according to Toyota has a maximum power of 151HP (about 110kW). And does 0-60 in 9.6 seconds. This is hardly a comparable vehicle to even the lowest-end Tesla.

The lowest cost I've been able to find for an automotive fuel cell stack is Toyota claiming they can get the cost down to$8K with mass production. That's about what Tesla can do for a 75kWh battery. Then there's the issue of storing the H2. The numbers I've seen are about $20 per kWh.

Taking the two together, and adding in developing and running a new distribution system for H2 I don't see how it would be cheaper to go with H2 than batteries.

Toyota Believes Fuel Cell Prices Will Match Hybrids

California Increases Number Of Retail Hydrogen Stations To 40