Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi re-focusing on Hydrogen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it silly.

Someone on one of the other boards said electric cars have no place. Gas is so much better.

Reason-

Cell phones only have batteries, which are subject to going dead & take a long time to recharge because there is no other option.

I’m pretty happy with electric. I always have a full charge every morning.

I’m curious if someone came up with a new cellphone power source that lasted 3-4 days but required taking it to a shop up the street to refill. Refill would only take 5 minutes. Would anyone buy it?

I’m curious if someone came up with a new cellphone power source that lasted 3-4 days but required taking it to a shop up the street to refill. Refill would only take 5 minutes. Would anyone buy it?
It would also be much more expensive than just filling up at home (or for free at work).

It is about 2 issues
- battery manufacturing ramps up very slowly, but governments and cities want low emissions soon.
- renewable energy storage can't be solved by batteries but Hydrogen could be a good alternative.

If every car in US had 70kWh battery, it would take 378 years for Tesla's Gigafactory to make those batteries (assuming it has a production rate of 50GWh/year. - currently it's at 24).
860GWh/year production rate is needed to sell all new cars with batteries in the US. The total battery production WORLDWIDE is around 250GWh/year today.

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

Audi is mad about being hostages to the battery industry and this is their hedge. If only Volkswagen Group and put some effort into securing a battery source a decade ago when they first started talking about EVs.

Unfortunately, this decision will burn even more R&D money. Hydrogen isn’t practical until the grid is saturated with renewables and it can be used to prevent solar and wind curtailment, and even then, it would be best used in applications like global shipping.

It is about 2 issues
- battery manufacturing ramps up very slowly, but governments and cities want low emissions soon.
- renewable energy storage can't be solved by batteries but Hydrogen could be a good alternative.

If every car in US had 70kWh battery, it would take 378 years for Tesla's Gigafactory to make those batteries (assuming it has a production rate of 50GWh/year. - currently it's at 24).
860GWh/year production rate is needed to sell all new cars with batteries in the US. The total battery production WORLDWIDE is around 250GWh/year today.

And when they started the gigafactory plan five years ago, worldwide production was 35 GWh per year.

There may be some raw material challenges, especially with certain chemistries, but production is growing rapidly and I believe solutions exist for those issues.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The quotes from the Chairman are pretty funny. It sounds as if he thinks basic science research and development problems can be solved just by allocating a budget. Hint: It is very hard to sell profitable electric or hydrogen cars. Good luck Audi. With that mindset, you'll need it!

The price of the fuel cell cars will drop once they are mass produced. Toyota Hydrogen Boss Explains How Fuel Cells Can Achieve Corolla Costs

And when they started the gigafactory plan five years ago, worldwide production was 35 GWh per year.

There may be some raw material challenges, especially with certain chemistries, but production is growing rapidly and I believe solutions exist for those issues.

This projection says 1100GWh/year in 2028 worldwide. That's still not enough. Battery Megafactory Forecast: 400% Increase in Capacity to 1 TWh by 2028

It is about 2 issues

We already know Tesla's end-game isn't getting an electric car in every garage; not everyone can afford one, and not everyone needs to own one to get around. That's where the Tesla Network comes into play.

Audi is still banking on selling cars in the far-flung future. Tesla is banking on selling cars-as-a-service instead.

It is about 2 issues

The price of the fuel cell cars will drop once they are mass produced. Toyota Hydrogen Boss Explains How Fuel Cells Can Achieve Corolla Costs

This projection says 1100GWh/year in 2028 worldwide. That's still not enough. Battery Megafactory Forecast: 400% Increase in Capacity to 1 TWh by 2028

Yeah, because hydrogen is in such a position to ramp up quickly, and produce more vehicles than others.

The trillions of dollars in hydrogen production, transport, and storage are just flowing in around the world.

Hydrogen is inexpensive, and is ramping up exponentially compared with the electric infrastructure already in place.

sarcasm.gif

I must be missing something with hydrogen cars, very expensive to make and store, hardly any place to fuel up (BEV’s charge at home), dangerous. What am I missing.

They give the traditional energy companies a green appearing alternative to offer to fend off EVs that completely break their paradigm.

That's why you never see them proposed as a PHEV, even though they could make the car much, much cheaper with a better user experience that way.

They give the traditional energy companies a green appearing alternative to offer to fend off EVs that completely break their paradigm.

That's why you never see them proposed as a PHEV, even though they could make the car much, much cheaper with a better user experience that way.

Exactly, the truly radical part of a phev or bev is the charge at home capability. No dependance on a monopoly infrastructure for ~90% of your daily transport needs. Hydrogen keeps you in the herd.