TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audi RS7 Still Worthy?

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Dchint, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Hmm. Do NASCAR and Formula 1 rules require a driver? The car is probably faster than the humans - even it was ballasted with an equivalent weight.
    Walter

2. mdevp

mdevp Member

I don't know if my post is answering the OP's question, but I was under the impression that Audi was using a concept auto-driving feature similar to Tesla. I am probably wrong, but looked very rudimentary. It seemed to me the car first had to learn the track and Audi had a lot of preprogramming done to help the car around. I guess my point is that it seemd to me that Tesla's auto drive is way ahead of Audi's.

3. Dchint

Dchint Member

I agree with you...but it certainly doesn't hurt to have healthy competition to stoke the fire...

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

#5 mknox, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I dunno. This is from over a year ago:

5. sundoc

sundoc Member

Yeah when Elon spoke of the car parking itself at the 'Unveiling', i too thought of the above ad posted by mnkox...

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

And if I'm not mistaken, that's from 2012. What's interesting about their implementation there, though, is that it requires the garage to find the car a spot and provide the car a route to that spot. That's not going to cut it. Every parking structure in the country would need to be retrofitted for parking availability, and if the ones that already have it here in Silicon Valley are any indication, they don't work all that well (spots are often noted as open when occupied, as well as the inverse).

So we really need autonomous vision and sensor parking, and that's more complicated than it might seem. There's reserved spots, compact car spots the car can't fit in, unmarked up/down navigation to other parking levels, and so forth. The notion of your car endlessly circling the ground level of the garage because it can't figure out how to get upstairs is a real potential issue.

This is a much more complex task than it would at first seem.

7. mdevp

mdevp Member

I am impressed with that video, it seemed that the car was "thinking" where to go, using various sensor tech like tesla. However, I have to wonder how much preprogramming was not shown, as at the beginning of the RS7 video.

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Was it ever 'worthy'? lol

9. mejojo

mejojo Member

Want to impress me? Do that all at 15mph rather than 3. Honestly, the car looked a bit dumb.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Circling the block rather than parking would be interesting feature in NYC. Burn some energy instead of paying for parking :). I can see it now. Grid lock caused by cars on autopilot just circling.

11. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Trading 4.9s S4 6MT for the S85D in March. ICEs belong to the past.

12. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

#13 Tedkidd, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    +1
    The engine firing up was the first thing that spoiled/ruined the video for me.

13. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I think the thing to realize about this video is that the car is trying to drive like a race car driver would. Race car drivers do not go out there and drive a track at speed without having studied the track or at least driven it slower. Getting ideal lap times is a matter of knowing the track, what lines to follow, how fast to be going where. Just as a race car driver has to study the track, so will an autonomous system. So I think the people saying that the demonstrated Autopilot functionality is much better than this are underestimating the difficulty of this demonstration. I'm sure the Autopilot system could navigate this course (assuming it was marked with lines for it). But it would not get a lap time anywhere near what that Audi did.

However, the one thing that both of these demos share in common is that they are both in tightly controlled environments. Audi didn't do the demo with other drivers competing for position and Tesla did not do the demonstration on the a real road. I'll be truly impressed when both are presented in real world situations.

All that said I think the driver assistance features Tesla has demonstrated are significantly closer to not being just a demo, if nothing else because the driver is there to takeover for the system in environments it's not able to handle.

14. Dchint

Dchint Member

Not in my opinion! I love the Tesla kool-aid!! But ask Texex...

15. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Lot of off topic stuff got moved out to snippiness for lack of a better place.

See also the existing thread on Autonomous vehicles: Autonomous Vehicles

16. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

No other car is worthy.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. I'll bet the cost of electricity doing this would be cheaper than parking fees in NYC!

18. Kofi

Kofi Member

#EVelitist. I agree though to a certain extent.

19. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

I still find the sound of a few ICE machines pleasing, but it's the boat anchor in the nose I can no longer tolerate.