Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Audi Says E-Tron GT Will Outsprint Tesla Model S P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will do so by getting “some genes from Porsche.”

And by adding “a lot of Audi genes.”

Audi says the E-tron GT will outsprint the Tesla Model S P100D thanks to a secret weapon in the form of Porsche.

Still not due until 2020, the E-tron GT will boast range on par with the E-tron SUV (248 miles WLTP) but be “focused more towards power,” according to Audi’s powertrain boss.

In order to beat the Tesla Model S P100D, Audi would need to make the E-tron GT zip from 0 to 60 MPH in well under 2.5 seconds. The P100D officially hits 60 MPH in 2.5 seconds, but timed results are closer to 2.3 seconds.

Audi says the E-Tron GT will use a Tesla-like skateboard platform that borrows lots of bits from the Porsche Taycan.

The E-tron GT concept will make its official debut at the Los Angeles Motor Show in November and we’ll be on site for the reveal.

audi-e-tron-vision-gran-turismo-concept-6.jpg
Audi e-tron Vision Gran Turismo, GT Sport

Source: Autocar

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please stop me from laughing. Is this the car they introduced at Monterrey? IT NEEDED 800volts to charge? No that was the sports car.
But its still a city car. Like the Bolt. They say 80% of charge is at home taking all night. We traverse the US charging along the way free.
Good luck with those city cars that charge at home or rev 1 or 2 public chargers. Taking days. Bolt went 2000 miles in 16 days. Giggle
I love my old S. :)

I have to admit I requested e-Tron suv for an overnight test drive to try its true range (just for fun), but that is not yet possible ;)
i had a local audi sales manager offer me the same thing, but then his general manager hijacked the emails and told the guy to come talk to him offline....it's been 2.5 months since that email without a single word. LOL!

i should definitely give him a call though.

*EDIT I just spoke with Audi and apparently there's going to be a nationwide launch in April and the local store has 3-4 coming next week for a mid-month delivery.*

Last edited:
*EDIT I just spoke with Audi and apparently there's going to be a nationwide launch in April and the local store has 3-4 coming next week for a mid-month delivery.*

I finally got my overnight test drive of the Audi e-Tron. The feature I liked the most, was a sort of lazy lane keeper. It did not bug you much, unless you really wondered out of the lines. I would prefer that kind of feature over Tesla's autopilot, or maybe Tesla could have a setting "lazy autopilot" or "autopilot backup" which takes action only if you stop paying attention for some reason (and stops the car safely if you do not wake up to the beeps). The idea of the lazy lane keeper (you could tune it less lazy though) was good, though the implementation itself was not as robust as Tesla autopilot.

About the car itself, our 280PS Skoda Superb feels snappier than the e-Tron, but it must be imaginary since the e-Tron has zero lag (though you have to press the throttle very much to get a good response). The suspension is ok, nothing like the new A8. It's been quite a while since I last drove a Tesla so I cannot accurately compare, but I would say Tesla (S,X,3,Y) is more "driver's car" than the e-Tron suv. Also the Skoda Superb rides better, but maybe not a fair comparison with only a 1650kg (3637lb) curb weight. Anyways, Skoda and Audi e-Tron are much the same nowdays, the quality and look and feel appear much the same (if we do not go into nitpicking about soft closes and panel gaps). The e-Tron is also noticeably smaller than the Skoda Superb. Where I live, range is still an issue, would need 400 mle range and tactically positioned 250kw+ chargers to be able to flexibly move around in the baltic region.

Would be nice to do a 1/4 mile drag race Audi e-Tron vs. Skoda Superb.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GWord and David99
WTF cares? The range is not equal to Tesla and is probably the most important feature. Also, where in the USA is the charging network with Tesla type superchargers? Absolutely essential if you want to go on a trip that is greater than ~50% of the range? IMO looks like it is a very expensive around town/commuter car with probably less than a 100-mile one-way range. Even if the fit and finish is better than Tesla, I don't see many of these sold without a vast supercharging network that rivals Tesla especially on the West coast where we love electric cars. Just on the block where I live, there are 6 Teslas. My neighbor routinely drives his Model S 6 hours to LA with no issues. How can you do that with this car?