Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi style animated tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight I installed the Audi Style animated tail lights I got from pimpmyev.com. They turned out pretty cool but I ran into some problems. Luckily, support was awesome and I was able to chat with someone immediately. The problem was a defective ground in one of the wire harness. They are sending a new one but in the mean time, I put a jumper around the defective connector.

Some tips on installation. The video on the website shows everything being done with the bumper on. The instructions that came showed removing the bumper. I was able to leave it on but getting the tail lights out is a major pain. There are two 8mm nuts that need to be removed on each one. I did it by prying the plastic back but there is no room to get a sock on them and even an 8mm spanner is super tight. Luckily, the are not on tight and quickly become finger loose.

The video shows the guy getting his arm behind the bumper and popping out the reflectors. I couldn't get enough room to do that so I carefully pried the reflector out and then fished some 14 awg wire up to the tail light and taped the harness to it and pulled it back down. Here are some pictures of the tail light so you can see how it attaches and the connector I had a problem with. Overall, it's a cool mod.

20210617_194853.jpg

20210617_210206.jpg

20210617_200543.jpg

@Ruffles that's really cool! I would actually prefer it to be amber to match the turn signals in the factory tail lights, but still nice and quite unique. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. It would be perfect for the early model Y's that had red turn signals. It also works as additional brake lights (and flashes) so it's probably best that it is red.