Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi will bring Model X prototype features to production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tescroft

In Musk, we trust.
Aug 23, 2015
Switzerland
Next year, Audi brings virtual side mirrors to production for their e-tron SUV:

Here how the 2020 Audi E-Tron's virtual side mirrors will work

That is a feature Tesla announced and showed first on their Model X prototype 2013, but it never made it to market: Tesla Wants To Put Side Mirrors In The Rearview Mirror | HuffPost

tesla-model-X-prototype-front-left-side-view.jpg

Obviously, regulations changed for some markets since then and Audi is in the lead bringing that to the market. VW did it already for their EL1, but that one had very tiny production numbers.

With all that focus on Model 3, and no improvements for S/X on the horizon, Tesla is slowly loosing ground in the upper class.

Obviously, these changed in some countries.

EUR-Lex - 42010X0710(06) - EN - EUR-Lex

„Devices for indirect vision other than mirror“

‘Devices for indirect vision’ means devices to observe the traffic area adjacent to the vehicle which cannot be observed by direct vision. These can be conventional mirrors, camera-monitors or other devices able to present information about the indirect field of vision to the driver.

Next year, Audi brings virtual side mirrors to production for their e-tron SUV:

Here how the 2020 Audi E-Tron's virtual side mirrors will work

That is a feature Tesla announced and showed first on their Model X prototype 2013, but it never made it to market: Tesla Wants To Put Side Mirrors In The Rearview Mirror | HuffPost

tesla-model-X-prototype-front-left-side-view.jpg

Obviously, regulations changed for some markets since then and Audi is in the lead bringing that to the market. VW did it already for their EL1, but that one had very tiny production numbers.

With all that focus on Model 3, and no improvements for S/X on the horizon, Tesla is slowly loosing ground in the upper class.

Wow!

I forgot in the initial reveal that the Model X did NOT have the panoramic windshield. I remember when they were driving test mules around later that you could see the top of the windshield had a weird cover which was kind of a tip-off that something was different. But in this very early pic where they still had the cameras for mirrors, it’s a regular windshield with a SUPER narrow sunroof above.

I’m sure any other car company would have stuck with this “safe” design (after all, the FWDs are crazy enough) but I’m so glad Tesla didn’t. I love my windshield. :)

That is a feature Tesla announced and showed first on their Model X prototype 2013, but it never made it to market
Because the US DOT won’t allow them. So Tesla likely decided that it wasn’t worth putting that feature on cars produced for sale outside the US if they could not offer the feature in America, their major market.

Audi won’t be offering that feature in the US.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer