TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Audi Will Price Electric SUV at $45,000

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TMC Staff, May 5, 2020.

1. TMC Staff

The Audi Q4 e-tron is shaping up to be a right-priced challenger to the Tesla Model Y. A report from Car and Driver says Audi’s crossover EV will be offered for $45,000 before incentives. A new Model Y starts at $53,000. It’s exciting to see the price of electric vehicles begin to come within reach...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

More vaporware. The only thing that can compete with Tesla.

Let us see it when you actually have a product!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

And how much will the model cost that can go as far and fast as that $53k Model Y?

• Like x 2
  4. glide

glide Active Member

When you say “fast” what do you mean?

0-60?
    Top speed?
    Sustained top speed?

Because I can see Audi besting Tesla in two of those categories.

• Like x 1
  5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

ROFLMAO!!

• Like x 2
  6. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

The base $45K model? The one likely sporting a single 150HP motor and 40kW battery?

7. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

The amount of articles that have been writen in the past 7yrs about the EVs that will challenge Tesla blows my mind. Here we are in 2020. Where are all the challengers that have been sold to the public and are not just a concept
    vehicle????

• Like x 6
  8. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

So far? Just 3, at least in the US. i-Pace - sells ~200/mo. e-Tron - maybe 600/mo. Taycan - COVID ruined it's debut so it's hard to tell, but I'm guessing until the cheaper models start shipping it will be maybe 200/mo once people can start buying cars again. So all three combined don't equal Model S sales alone, which didn't drop in Q1 so those Euro EV's are eating some ICE's lunch instead.

9. reynirb

reynirb Member

Everything Audi and MB has offered so far has been hovering somewhere north of 200 miles of range. Lets wait and see if this thing will actually be something comparable to what Tesla offers, or if this is yet another E-Tron, EQC and I-Pace Tesla killer selling in the double digits every month...

10. MXLRplus

MXLRplus Active Member

• Like x 1
  11. MXLRplus

MXLRplus Active Member

I was expecting to add an other EV to the mix Q4/20. But the C19 stuff is going to put a lot these EV rollouts downstream at least 6m if not a year.

12. reynirb

reynirb Member

Several interesting points in that article. First of all, the warranty of the Q4 is rather head scratching...

• Limited warranty covers 4 years or 50,000 miles
    • Powertrain warranty covers 4 years or 50,000 miles
    • Electric components are covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles
    • Complimentary maintenance is covered for 1 year or 10,000 miles
    What exactly are people planning on maintaining on an EV for the first year and 10,000 miles???

And the power train warranty is a pathetic 4 years and 50k miles?! Looks like Audi has zero confidence in their EV's.

It also always irritates me when C&D mixes all EV's together like they are all the same, just because they are electric. They mix the Jaguar I-Pace and the Audi Q4 with the Model X, despite the fact the this is "competition" with the Model Y.

Just like Jaguar kept comparing the I-Pace with the much larger Model X, despite it being a Model 3/Y competitor while being smaller than both the Model S and the Model X, (not to mention slower, with a shorter range, less cargo room far less efficient).

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

When you read the source for the information, you will realize that it is just guessing

It is not unusual for a competitor to salt an article with unrealistic capabilities for a future release in order to get buyers to put off buying a Tesla and wait for their wonder car to hit the market. Then the reality is that all those specs were just hopeful dreaming and lipstick on the pig that never materilizes.

The quote no source for the batteries, no real specs at all, but just targets.

• Like x 3
  14. hill

hill Active Member

What about fit & finish versus how many trips back & forth & back & forth to the SC . . . . versus cost . . . . versus range . . . . versus top end buffer NOT used, so that you can charge faster, even at the top end of charge . . . versus which car will do over the air grenades that reduce charge speed or charge capacity ... or UI lay outs . . . versus nationwide charge infrastructure. Yea - it's really too early to say - especially since ONE of the cars isn't even available for over 1 1/2 years, versus one that is. BUT - if the vaper ware competition got it right with even 2/3 of the above? Yes - there'd likely be some rats abandoning the ship.
    ;)

15. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

I wonder if it will be profitable at that price point.

16. nuts

nuts Member

... so is the Model Y. Let's not kid ourselves here.

17. tcoombes

tcoombes Supporting Member

Still no real competition yet for Tesla. I think the competition gap is widening instead of closing.

• Like x 1
  18. dipper

dipper Member

VW claimed they are building I'd.4 already for sale later this year with a rumor starting price of $40k with WLTP range of 310.

So $45k for q4 is not out of the question.

With $7500 tax credit, this or the Id.4 might be a good in town car to replace my wife's Rav4EV. A fake Tesla with only 100 miles range. I take 250-ish range if price is right.

Still love my Tesla. But wife hate no button solution.

Good to have competition, means CS will need to improve.

• Like x 1
  19. TESLER2013

TESLER2013 Member

I agree. This sounds like when the iPhone came out, there was an "iPhone killer" every day. As time passed, there was no iPhone killer, simply competitors trying to keep up with the stallion of tech... a lot of "broo ha ha"

20. MXLRplus

MXLRplus Active Member

86% of webphones are Androids. 14% Apple. Both Samsung and Huawei outsell Apple. I use iPhones mostly, but have several cells. The first big screen cellphone was the Dell Streak. Want to buy it? It had twice the screen area as an iPhone at the time. Replaceable batteries, spare battery swap in 1 minute, reads microSD cards natively, etc, etc.