Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Audi Will Price Electric SUV at $45,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Audi Q4 e-tron is shaping up to be a right-priced challenger to the Tesla Model Y.

A report from Car and Driver says Audi’s crossover EV will be offered for $45,000 before incentives. A new Model Y starts at $53,000.

It’s exciting to see the price of electric vehicles begin to come within reach for more consumers. An electric SUV from a German luxury automaker that can be had for under $40,000 with incentives sounds like a good deal.

The Q4 e-tron will be the fourth EV from Audi and the first to use VW’s MEB platform for electric vehicles, which VW says will be used for 27 different models sold by four brands by 2022. It’s powered by an 82.0-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and about 300 horsepower.

Photo: Audi

Last edited by a moderator:
this is old news. Since Covid, many of the legacy producers have significantly scaled back their electrification programs.
Now most are concentrating almost exclusively on the much more profitable large trucks and large SUVs.

Expect to see lots of push outs on competitive EVs. Sourcing batteries is also a huge issue for them.

Reactions: PrGrPa
My client bought an e-tron and couldn't wait to give his leased Tesla back. He gets over 250 miles of range (Audi's epa estimate is apparently quite conservative) and says the build quality is off the charts compared to Tesla. I haven't seen or driven it, so only know what he has told me.
AR, did you ask him about his latest 5,000 mile road trip?

Ask him after he does that. Let's see if he misses his Tesla then.

86% of webphones are Androids. 14% Apple. Both Samsung and Huawei outsell Apple. I use iPhones mostly, but have several cells. The first big screen cellphone was the Dell Streak. Want to buy it? It had twice the screen area as an iPhone at the time. Replaceable batteries, spare battery swap in 1 minute, reads microSD cards natively, etc, etc.
And what percent of "profit" does the iPhone make? I believe it is over 50%. But back on topic. As the owner of a Tesla X the problem with the Audi and every other EV is the Tesla Supercharger network. It is too easy and everywhere. And for me it is free. I put in where I am going and it shows all the Tesla Superchargers. I tap one of the flags and it navigates me to it. I can then charge for free. And the constant upgrading of Teslas is like nothing else. Since my purchase last December my car now recognizes stop lights and stop signs and now on autopilot it will automatically stop at them. Also, my range has gone up from 326 miles to 351. Tesla is so far ahead the only hope other manufactures have is to lure the buyers who don't know better.

this is old news. Since Covid, many of the legacy producers have significantly scaled back their electrification programs.
Now most are concentrating almost exclusively on the much more profitable large trucks and large SUVs.

Expect to see lots of push outs on competitive EVs. Sourcing batteries is also a huge issue for them.
Been drinking the Kool-Aide a bit?

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
My client bought an e-tron and couldn't wait to give his leased Tesla back. He gets over 250 miles of range (Audi's epa estimate is apparently quite conservative) and says the build quality is off the charts compared to Tesla. I haven't seen or driven it, so only know what he has told me.

At least he can go 250 miles on a rotund trip otherwise he spends a lot of time sitting at a charger, most cases no supercharging. Gives him plenty of time to stare at the windshield and admire the build quality

Who knows, maybe they will treat customers better after the sale than what Tesla has.

My experience of Tesla after-sales has been cheaper and more pleasant than MB. And significantly better than my VAG experience in the 20th century.

However, you may be right. VAG’s record of excellent customer service, honesty, and focused delivery may follow through to provide a differentiating proposition for the BEV market.

It's interesting to see folks scream "fake news" and "vaporware" towards the Q4e when that's exactly what Tesla has done with the Roadster. It's all "pre-pre-production" figures.

Actual facts about the Q4 e-tron are limited (exactly like the roadster), and the images are just renderings. But we do know that Audi's fit-and-finish is generally much better than Tesla's, and IMO the Q4 is much better looking than the Y. And the platform will be used across a bunch of VW brands.

It'll be interesting to see how they compete from an AutoPilot and Range standpoint, but ludicrous acceleration isn't going to be a huge factor for the majority of their market, and I'm sure Audi has factored that in here - they're not stupid.

I'm hopeful for the Q4 e-tron - and if the high end version starts at $55k like Car and Driver suggests, I'd buy that over a Y - which feels very bare bones on the interior by comparison..

Last edited:
It's interesting to see folks scream "fake news" and "vaporware" towards the Q4e when that's exactly what Tesla has done with the Roadster. It's all "pre-pre-production" figures.

Actual facts about the Q4 e-tron are limited (exactly like the roadster), and the images are just renderings. But we do know that Audi's fit-and-finish is generally much better than Tesla's, and IMO the Q4 is much better looking than the Y. And the platform will be used across a bunch of VW brands.

It'll be interesting to see how they compete from an AutoPilot and Range standpoint, but ludicrous acceleration isn't going to be a huge factor for the majority of their market, and I'm sure Audi has factored that in here - they're not stupid.

I'm hopeful for the Q4 e-tron - and if the high end version starts at $55k like Car and Driver suggests, I'd buy that over a Y - which feels very bare bones on the interior by comparison..
Let us know how that goes when you get the car in 2024. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle