Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audible, grinding noise and vibration in accelerator pedal while regen braking at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is our second Tesla, so I'm pretty familiar with most of the quirks of owning a Tesla, however, our new 2023 model Y LR is making a noise that concerns me very much.

The car is two months old and a week ago while slowing down, at low speed and regenerative breaking was enabled, I felt a fast vibration in the accelerator and heard a grinding noise at the same time (what sounded like an automatic braking system engaging in an ICE car) however, the car slow down and seemed to operate normally to a full stop despite the noise and vibration. This started at about 400 on the odometer and seems to be increasing frequency, but still intermittently happening.

I have scheduled a mobile service appointment for next week. My main concern is that I'll have a drive unit that will completely fail and leave me stranded! Has anyone had anything close to this problem?

Since you had a Tesla before I assume you're familiar with the following option\scenario. But if for some reason you're not, then the noise and vibration you're feeling could be the friction brakes being applied when regen is limited.

I noticed the same thing (noise\vibration) and for me it's due to the scenario below. I hear the friction brakes being applied and the brake pedal moves\applies on its own during the event.

1680888637470.png

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
When it first happened, I drove into the Tesla service center and your explanation was exactly what they said could be the cause. So I drove a few more weeks experiencing more frequent events before I actually scheduling a service appointment. My reasoning is that our 2021 M3 in these same instances would simply gradually slow to a stop without making any noise in the cabin, the 2023 model Y sometimes while regenerative braking is active makes this noise like ABS pumping without obstructions or objects to require any emergency braking.

I've driven the M3 in cold weather where regenerative braking was limited and manual braking was necessary. The new ModelY acted the same way as the M3 back in January limiting braking while cold and didn't start making the noise until the temperature was in the 40s or higher. The new model Y has never been charged more than 80% and usually between 80 and 50% so the battery capacity shouldn't be a cause? My major concern is this ABS noise that happens for no reason even though, white the ABS noice is happening the regenerative braking is smooth as normal regenerative braking would be.

When it first happened, I drove into the Tesla service center and your explanation was exactly what they said could be the cause. So I drove a few more weeks experiencing more frequent events before I actually scheduling a service appointment. My reasoning is that our 2021 M3 in these same instances would simply gradually slow to a stop without making any noise in the cabin, the 2023 model Y sometimes while regenerative braking is active makes this noise like ABS pumping without obstructions or objects to require any emergency braking.

I've driven the M3 in cold weather where regenerative braking was limited and manual braking was necessary. The new ModelY acted the same way as the M3 back in January limiting braking while cold and didn't start making the noise until the temperature was in the 40s or higher. The new model Y has never been charged more than 80% and usually between 80 and 50% so the battery capacity shouldn't be a cause? My major concern is this ABS noise that happens for no reason even though, white the ABS noice is happening the regenerative braking is smooth as normal regenerative braking would be.
This is very interesting. I have this exact issue and I have gone to service center multiple times. Just two weeks ago I took it on for this same issue and the tech was able to replicate the noise. They claimed they fixed the issue but it is still there after 2days. I just ended up turning off the regen stuff for now. So far no noise....

The noise\vibration during automatic friction happens to me when I'm at 76% battery and 67F sunny dry weather, that's when I first noticed it.

Your scenario could be the same + disc wiping, not sure if you have wet\snow roads.

Maybe even automatic friction braking + disc wiping + emergency braking, is happening

Or you have a mechanical\software issue, hopefully not

1681150005968.png

1681150257273.png

1681150294397.png

Since you had a Tesla before I assume you're familiar with the following option\scenario. But if for some reason you're not, then the noise and vibration you're feeling could be the friction brakes being applied when regen is limited.

I noticed the same thing (noise\vibration) and for me it's due to the scenario below. I hear the friction brakes being applied and the brake pedal moves\applies on its own during the event.

View attachment 925953
Chobra you my have been right. I'll turn off this setting and drive down a hill that I've most consistently experienced the problem my YLR, then report back. Hopefully it's that simple. :cool:

Reactions: chobra