Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Album Artwork Not Appearing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When scanning through a large collection of albums on USB by album / artist, I can pick things out visually vs having to read the text.
For me, this is the primary interest. It provides another anchor point for my organic storage, and an improvement in the "at a glance" (handy at a stoplight) experience of finding the desired content.

Totally bizzarre. The car seems to find art from somewhere in the cloud for tracks that I mark as "favorites". But the art shows up only only if I play from favorites and it takes a while for the art to appear. It doesn't show up if I play the same cut from the USB thumb drive. And the track has no embedded art.

Totally bizzarre. The car seems to find art from somewhere in the cloud for tracks that I mark as "favorites". But the art shows up only only if I play from favorites and it takes a while for the art to appear. It doesn't show up if I play the same cut from the USB thumb drive. And the track has no embedded art.
So the album art probably gets cached with the favorite entry (think alternate stream in the shortcut file ala NTFS/Mac) more reliably than for a song generally. Nice sleuthing.

Last edited:
So the album art probably gets cached with the favorite entry (think alternate stream in the shortcut file ala NTFS/Mac) more reliably than for a song generally. Nice sleuthing.

Yep, thanks.

Now more data. I now have embedded cover art in flac files courtesy of MediaMonkey. Of type "Cover art (front)". They're not showing up when playing files by folder. I'll try tomorrow to see if the art shows up quickly I mark one as a favorite. That should tell us more assuming MediaMonkey is tagging properly.

Yep, thanks.

Now more data. I now have embedded cover art in flac files courtesy of MediaMonkey. Of type "Cover art (front)". They're not showing up when playing files by folder. I'll try tomorrow to see if the art shows up quickly I mark one as a favorite. That should tell us more assuming MediaMonkey is tagging properly.

I mentioned in the 4.1 Firmware Issues thread that no meta-data seems to show up when playing by folder: Album name, art, artist name, nothing...

Here's what I think is happening:

1) the system fetches artwork from the cloud via 3G based on tags in the file, probably from a Tesla-contracted service. Be sure your tags have accurate info in them or the wrong artwork may come down.
2) artwork is cached locally in the car's internal storage. It's probably indexed via the tag information. I think I know how to verify this but we'll see.
3) the fetching happens in the background but I have no idea what order it decides to fetch things in.
4) the system is not using the artwork in the files, at least not from FLAC files. I haven't tested AAC or mp3 and probably won't bother since I hardly use them.

Here's the experiment I ran:

I got the tracks for 2 albums in AppleLossless format from my itunes files. Used MediaMonkey to add artwork to one and convert both to FLAC.

When I played by album, the wrong artwork showed up the tracks that had artwork. And no artwork initially showed up for the other album but eventually the correct artwork showed up even though the file had no tags.

I verified later that the tracks with the wrong artwork had incorrect tag info. I'd used MediaMonkey to tag them from the web. This was Dark Side of the Moon and I picked the best picture but I found out later that tagging the file with it wound up putting in a different date and artist from original itunes tags. 2008 instead of 1990 and it left Richard Wright off. So in the Model S, instead of the black cover with the prism, I got a cover with the members of the band instead.

I think I'm going to send a message off to ownership sometime this weekend. I don't mind this behavior. If it stayed this way, I could work around it. But I'm sure the behavior is going to change over time because there's a bunch of stuff that the media system should do that it currently doesn't (like let you upload to local storage, shuffle play of any kind, etc.) I just want to know what the system will eventually do so I can set my music up once the right way.

To me the most frustrating part of the Album Art implementation is when it comes to Podcast listening. You end up with completely random/arbitrary album art unrelated to what you are listening to most of the time.

This absolutely vexes me as well, especially since well over half of my in-car listening is podcasts. It's a bummer, because I listen via Bluetooth, so fetching an embedded cover image is not an option given the limitations of the current Bluetooth standard. I did get a huge laugh when the car displayed an Ice Cube album for Science Friday, though. :confused:

So at least for FLAC files playing from thumb drives, if you change the tags on the file, the artwork will change. And the artwork will appear instantly if the system has artwork locally cached and associated with the same set of tags. I'm not sure what tags it's using and in what priority but leaving composer blank seems ok if the Album, Artist and Date match up.

So if you're running experiments to see whether it's reading cover tags, you need to be careful to use tracks that won't have locally cached art. Such as tracks from an album where no songs from that album have never been played through the audio system or tracks from albums where you're sure the system won't be able to find the artwork from Tesla's artwork database.

I've also seen cases where the wrong artwork for a tracks with bogus tags (dates for albums that were just totally wrong) appeared then disappeared. It's as if the system came back with a preliminary result, then came back later and said, "Nope, that's not right. Forget it."

I buy my music in iTunes so I know the tags are right, sometimes the art works and sometimes it doesn't. If I unplug my USB and plug it back in then it sometimes loads art on albums that didn't work, but then others stop working. Not sure the logic, but would love to just show my album art that I bought.

I'm not so sure I agree with you...There are songs that I play where the car pulls the corresponding artwork that is being displayed on my iphone...And then there are times when I'm playing a song that has artwork for it on my iPhone, but the display on the car pulls a different photo, one that is either of the band, or the album, but NOT the image that is displayed on my iPhone. Where is THAT coming from?!

With all due respect, I'm not so sure that's correct, dflye (although to disagree more firmly I'd have to do some more experimentation!)

Some songs, even after powering the car back on (and the USB drive requiring a re-scan) still have artwork in them, whereas others don't. It would be strange to download some artwork and not others when I haven't even played anything since the car was powered up.

If what you say is correct though, that's really weird. I hope Tesla enables this in an update fairly soon. It's really stupid to continuously re-download album art instead of using metadata artwork when it wastes a lot of bandwidth and could use the wrong artwork.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I just checked on this.

The car is definitely NOT just downloading the artwork. Car's in the garage with no 3G coverage right now (I live in a rural area). I conducted a simple test by copying 3 songs to a blank jump drive--two of which were songs which I remembered to have been showing artwork, and one which didn't. Immediately when I put the jump drive in, the artwork was there on the 2 songs.

So it IS reading metadata.

The car did NOT see the stored picture from one MP4 AAC file (m4a).
The car DID see the artwork from another MP4 AAC file (m4a).

The metadata tagging software (kid3) indicated that both songs had artwork stored with them.

The car DID see the artwork from an MP3 file, and here's the crazy part: the metadata tagging software (kid3) did NOT recognize that there was any artwork stored in the metadata! Now I'm more confused than ever!

I'll get to the bottom of this, I hope. I need artwork for every song!

Step one: Get different tagging software...

I'm not so sure I agree with you...There are songs that I play where the car pulls the corresponding artwork that is being displayed on my iphone...And then there are times when I'm playing a song that has artwork for it on my iPhone, but the display on the car pulls a different photo, one that is either of the band, or the album, but NOT the image that is displayed on my iPhone. Where is THAT coming from?!

I think we can all just agree that the whole artwork/metadata system in the current software is a bit out to lunch and needs more work.

What I'm seeing is that the "play by folder" and "play by album or artist" experiences are very different, at least playing off a USB thumb drive.

Artwork fetch when I browse by artist or album is very fast. Fast enough that you'd think it was reading artwork from the track but I know it's not. This because I *know* there's no art in the tracks or the art the car is showing is different from the art in the track. Artwork fetch when browsing by folder seems non-existent.

I'm pretty convinced that the car isn't reading artwork tags at all right now but not 100% certain. I'm 100% certain that the car isn't reading FLAC artwork. But AAC or mp3 could be different. And getting art from Bluetooth streamed audio is different logic entirely so the car could be doing that.

Has anyone run the experiment where you put bogus artwork in the tracks on a USB thumb drive and see what shows up the car? For FLAC at least, the artwork in the tracks doesn't show up but I haven't done the experiment (yet) for AAC or mp3.

Has anyone who streams from an iphone/ipod done a similar experiment: put bogus artwork for an album into itunes, make sure it shows up on your iphone/ipod, then see what shows up on the car?

Other incompleteness about playing by folder. I have been playing by folder. Yesterday, I played by artist+album or album (randomly switching). This morning was the first morning when the sound system remembered where I was. When playing by folder, the system always forgot if the car shut down for too long.

Installed software 4.2 last night. Today I was browsing my USB library (.m4a from mac/iTunes folder). Slowly, one by one, the artwork shows up as I browse by Album. Clearly its being fetched from the web and cached. Nothing really new as I observed that in 4.0 and 4.1, but wanted to post my experience with 4.2

In case this wasn't settled yet. Clearly, artwork is being fetched from the internet. I havent used any USB music yet, but here's a snapshot of the artwork for a local FM radio station.

Starships.png

I think this is about as opposite of Nicki Minaj as one can get. L'dMAO when I saw it.

Why don't they pull the artist - songname from the filename in cases where they can't figure it out by other means?

The world may never know.

The completely and utter obvious approach should be: Pull the metadata directly from the file. If not available, search for it on the net.

I'm completely baffled by the approach they've taken with this. I can only explain it by assuming that the current behavior was the easiest to implement at the time, and a software update will restore the logical approach.