Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio: Any thoughts on the standard sound system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure have.

I will say that, if you are an audiophile and your hearing is unimpaired - you may want to pony up and get the advanced sound package. I do know that several of us (with standard and advanced) have noticed problems (a weakness of sound) from the rear speakers. I am noticing myself playing the music at 8, 9, 10 or 11 all the time - but without distortion. So you may (on the standard) have to play a higher volume than you are used to.

Now, I am hearing impaired - from several years in fighter jets - so that does not apply to most of you/us. It may be just fine for others. I do have several songs on USB that are fine to listen to at 5 or 6, so it may be my recording/ripping characteristics that are lending to the high volume usage. I am always playing audiobooks at 11.

I guess I put this on the same level as the performance package. That is, I had to trim some $$ in some areas, and the perf and sound did not make the cut. I wish I could have them, but I also wish to travel to France, own a franchise of Tim Hortons, play in the NFL, and so on. But it I am happy with the car beyond belief. If I did it again, I may have swapped out the (soon to be arriving) third row seats for the premium sound ... but then I would have a certain missus to deal with and no sound package is worth that.

WJ

Has anyone heard the standard audio system in the S?

I am supposed to get my S in the next several days. I did not order my car with the premium sound system. I can't find anyone inside or outside of Tesla that has seen or heard the standard audio system. Just wondering.... any takers :)? Does it exist?

I find it a bit odd... Maybe I am the only one to order the 85KW and air suspension with standard audio :)?

I have the base sound, and while not an audiophile by any means, I'm quite pleased with the sound quality.

Can you give us a mini-review of the base sound?

This is a potential +/- for me. I'm not a huge audiophile either. I listen mostly to NPR and Pandora while at work. Most of my music would probably be on USB drives rather than stored locally (although that would be nice). Don't need overpowering music or audio, and I would like to save my hearing.

i thought the base sound was crap.

that said, if you put $1000 in aftermarket speakers to the base-sound set-up, it will sound better than the Tesla "Studio Sound" package for the same price. for serious. you just have to find a competent installer because of the advanced electronics on the S.

As a former mild audiophile (discerning but not hysterical) whose hearing isn't as good any more, I think I can still say with confidence that the standard sound system is better than many other cars' standard systems. I'm very comfortable listening to it. And the array of source options is way beyond standard practice.

I wish the UI were better - there are long lists of unsorted stations in each Internet music category, for example. And the only thing it will do with music from my iPhone is play tracks at random, with no awareness of multi-track works such as found in classical music. I can't display a content list for the iPhone. This is surprisingly bad. Also, it seems to demodulate HD streams that mirror their associated analog station but I don't think it offers the separate-content HD channels. This UI stuff may be the same with the Signature editions - it's just SMOP (Simple Matter of Programming). They have great high-level requirements but, so far, very incomplete implementation.

I will say that, if you are an audiophile and your hearing is unimpaired - you may want to pony up and get the advanced sound package. I do know that several of us (with standard and advanced) have noticed problems (a weakness of sound) from the rear speakers. I am noticing myself playing the music at 8, 9, 10 or 11 all the time - but without distortion. So you may (on the standard) have to play a higher volume than you are used to. I am always playing audiobooks at 11.
I have to concur with the above. The system is adequate at best. IF you want to 'crank it up' you'll be embarrassed right away and then turn it down to the 'easy listening' volume where it once again becomes adequate. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

i thought the base sound was crap.
that said, if you put $1000 in aftermarket speakers to the base-sound set-up, it will sound better than the Tesla "Studio Sound" package for the same price. for serious. you just have to find a competent installer because of the advanced electronics on the S.
There's no clarity in the highs at high volume and the base response has no depth.
Now I'm starting to use those terms that I have no idea how to characterize them... kind of like describing a wine!

Here's the guy who did my Tesla Roadster (Al & Ed's: http://www.AE54.com):

We are in negotiations on what to do for the Model S, but this may be in order:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...talled-on-my-S?p=194119&viewfull=1#post194119

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressions of the standard sound system?

If you have received a car with the standard sound system, what are your impressions?

In particular, how is the bass response and the ability to play at volume without distortion?

Do you have any issues with diminished sound in the rear speakers like some folks with the upgraded sound system have reported?

Thanks!

I am no audiophile but I think the standard is great - I am using slacker primarily and usually have the volume on 3 or 4 - the car is so quiet I rarely need more volume - haven't really evaluated the back seats.

I'm not all that much of an audiophile, but have an 2001 Infiniti QX4 with an upgrade sound package. I received my Model S (standard production, not signature or performance, yesterday). I find the base sound is better than the QX4 and am glad I saved the $950.

I am a little disappointed that the USB ports don't support iPods or iPads though. Mine wouldn't even play .M4A files on a thumb drive so I have to convert a lot of tunes from iTunes to .mp3.

On a somewhat separate but also related note, I think there must be a glitch in my Model S's Bluetooth firmware or something. I have a ticket in with them. I can't get it to pair with any device (or even leave the screen that says Bluetooth Initializing, please wait a moment). Devices like phones and iPads show the Model S, but the Model S doesn't leave that screen despite numerous hardware resets (using the steering wheel buttons held concurrently, power offs, etc.), The lack of the USB reading my .M4A's wouldn't be a problem at all if I could get Bluetooth media working correctly.

http://www.facebook.com/sjledet