TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio: Buzzing sound through stereo with headlights on

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by NJS1207, Dec 23, 2012.

1. NJS1207

NJS1207 Member

Has anyone else noticed a buzzing sound through the stereo when the headlights are on? It is only noticeable when the volume is fairly low (1 or 2), but it is very distinct. The buzzing clearly switches on an off with the headlights. DRL and fog lamps do not cause the same problem. I am wondering whether this is an "undocumented feature" common to all cars or a problem specific to my vehicle.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

It's a known bug when the ambient lights are on and the nighttime screen is set to less than 100%. Tesla is working on a fix. There's a few posts covering this but they are spread around in different threads.

The interim solution is a) turn off the ambient lights or b) turn the night screen setting to 100%. Recommend you try those and report back if you have a different issue.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Is the ambient light buzz sound coming from the audio system? I had read and assumed the sound was coming from the ambient light dimming circuitry directly.

4. NJS1207

NJS1207 Member

NigelM, Thanks for the tip --- it worked. I missed the prior threads on this and apparently did not do a thorough enough search before posting.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure sounds like it is coming from the speakers, although it is difficult to pinpoint. This is definitely not a noteworthy problem given the workaround, and I have no doubt it will be fixed soon.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Tough to tell, but a Ranger and a DS separately told me it's from the speakers.