Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio connectivity, Qobuz, Hi-res?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to see if I can program a Raspberry Pi to emulate a flash drive and stream audio through it continuously. I’ll start with GitHub as maybe there is already something similar to start with. I’ll report back if we can make it work

Reactions: timeshifter
I’m going to see if I can program a Raspberry Pi to emulate a flash drive and stream audio through it continuously. I’ll start with GitHub as maybe there is already something similar to start with. I’ll report back if we can make it work
If you figure something out along those lines you'll be my hero - I wish you luck!

FWIW way back in the development days of the model 3, when I was trying to pitch the aux jack idea, another thing I threw them was the idea of a proprietary streaming audio usb dongle, tied to a small software patch on their end connecting it to the audio system that would only be activated if you used their dongle. Judging from the responses I got, they actually liked this idea a lot, but of course it never happened.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I don't get it. EVERY car sold today has an aux input. We all have our own devices and our own services.

And here's the thing, my Odyssey was old enough that it didn't have an aux input so I added it myself. It took me about an hour and that included opening the box the unit came in and reading the instructions, and then watching a youtube video on installation. I googled this and haven't found anybody that's done it to an m3 yet though. I'll keep checking, or I'll be buying something else. The whole install cost me maybe $25.

Are there any after-market installations that can be done? It can't be impossible. And what is the maximum resolution that a USB file can have since that sounds like the only stock way to get decent quality into it.

Yeah, you might have to buy an older car.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
I haven't come up yet with any solutions, but know more about USB than I ever needed to know. I need a Python programmer that is willing to intercept the audio stream, and control the USB Mass Storage Device output on a Raspberry Pi. All that and it has to be recognized as such by the Tesla. It may break copyright rules as the stream is meant for streaming not storage even though I'm not actually storing it.

As I typed this the weird music I'm playing on Qobuz just had a line "media streaming app" in the lyrics. See, they are listening and watching every move we make.

• Funny
Reactions: rjpjnk and BrandX
No solutions still, but I now at least have the car! The closest I've come is there is software that can capture a media stream and write it to mass storage. It is not completely legal from a copyright standpoint to do that. But from my standpoint, I'm not storing the music to steal it, I'm just looking to spoof the Tesla into thinking it is reading mass storage, but as a continuous stream. Once played it won't be saved, same as if I were wifi streaming as I do at home.

I tried Qobuz on the web and it played 24/96 music through the browser, but as others have said it stops playing while driving, and it also stopped playing once the browser was hidden by another car app. It sounded pretty good too and it is a shame that I can't play it while driving. I see there is a future upgrade that is purported to include Tidal, Amazon and Apple music "and others" but didn't explicitly say Qobuz. Most audio devices and software though will support both Tidal and Qobuz, almost as if their api is the same. I like Qobuz for home use, and I was getting to like it for car use too in my old minivan.

I'll keep looking.

It isn't a rumor since Elon announced it. Whether it happens or not is another thing.

And nothing new to report on streaming workarounds. I've been too busy enjoying the driving, but I can't say I've enjoyed the sound. It just isn't very well balanced. I've been looking at the options for upgrades of the speakers but those are pretty limited as you probably all know, and all seem to be DIY. I get nervous about DIYing on a $40k car.

• Funny
Reactions: Altes
But you just said it yourself. The audio system leaves a lot to be desired, whereas I have a system on my phone that will provide an analog signal that will sound better. In the end all audio is analog and nothing I've read yet on this forum or anywhere else tells me that M3 has anything above mediocre digital audio processing. I would prefer to bypass all of its digital and plug directly into the analog. The BT is not high quality audio, the streaming services they provide are not high quality, but I do have a high quality device with no way of connecting it. If Tesla had a hi-res service I'd be fine with that too, but they don't and that is just ridiculous in this day. I saw on another thread that Tidal may be available soon, and that would be an improvement, except I cancelled Tidal and opted for Qobuz instead.

And Sirius/XM is also a joke with sound quality. I've rented many cars with it and I always just turn it off. But I guess the M3 doesn't have that either in any case.

This is a huge step back from where we are with streaming today. I can stream 24/192 files to my 20 year old kitchen system with a Raspberry Pi but can't stream it to a car that is supposed to be revolutionary in its design?

What I have isn't big either, it fits in my pocket with my phone, just a USB adapter for the Lightning port and a USB thumb drive sized DAC.

If you have any decent sound system at home with a separate DAC (now I'm getting above 95% of the people out there) give Qobuz a try with their free trial and desktop software.
I agree. It is hard to believe that Tesla, who is known to include great sound systems in their vehicles, would not provide any way to play back high res digital or analog inputs. This is just stupid. Hope they fix this soon in an update.

I am also a qobuz user. Like it much better than tidal.

what rate/quality does the M3 BT link provide?

Last edited:
"Everyone streams from their phones now" but then didn't allow that to happen. They want the streaming to happen through the console, and then have you pay for it. Maybe it is just that I'm using the oddball service...
Umm you can stream from your phone via BT and run it thru the CRAP system that elon provides, or you can pony up 3-7K or more for a PROFESSIONALLY installed system. Justkeep in mind that you will get *sugar* from the service department EVERY time you go in for service because the service advisor will blame EVERYTHING wrong on the fact that you have an aftermartket system

Has anyone succeeded in adding an analog input by surgery?
You can add an aux input, via the antenna input to the FM radio. I have no personal experience with the audio quality, but have heard that it's actually pretty good, much better than a FM transponder type thing. It involves a bit of surgery - you have to pull the default antenna input, and install a box that coverts an audio signal to whatever format that is. I actually bought all the parts to do this, but have yet to do it - it's kind of a big job. There's a thread on this here somewhere - I think if you look for threads about installing SiriusXM boxes you'll find it.

That would work if we had no other options but is really a last resort. There is already an existing bluetooth link with at least SBC (most basic) protocol that would likely sound significantly better than the FM path, which has to pass through the FM receiver/discriminator and associated IF stages before it gets to the amplifier.

Has anyone been able to tap in an analog input just prior to the pre amp/power amp?

EDIT: apologies sduck, I just realized you are the one who told me Tesla offers BT SBC in the first place. Surely this has to sound better than the ant path?

Last edited: