Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio gurus: Max undistorted signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, so I'm waiting to take delivery of a 21 M3P (super excited, btw) and I've purchased some gear to install an aftermarket sub. I've done my fair share of installs and tuning, but something I could not find is, what is the maximum volume on the headunit before the signal starts distorting? I know about the common way of doing things by going to 75% volume, but if it's clean at max volume, that would be dope. I guess the biggest thing that's throwing me for a loop is that this install I'm planning requires an LOC and I want to maximize the clean output coming from it going to the amp.

I bought a spare sub from eBay, mainly just for the wiring, as I wanted an easily reversible way to connect to the LOC. I also have a DD-1+ I'm familiar with using but I don't really know how I can use it to check the signal going in to the LOC. Would it be possible to use the DD-1+ probes on the sub wires?

If all else fails, I suppose I can do the 75% volume thing, play a test tone and adjust the levels on the LOC until the light turns on and then back off.

Anyway, if any of the audio gurus can chime in, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

It definatly clips at 100% @40hz using spotify or any other input I have ever used, checked with a scope and DD1, you can put the DD1 on the subwoofer output and check for yourself...8/10-9/10 its good with the sliders flat, as soon as you turn the bass up on the slider its clip city.

I find the JL audio LOC better than the audio control, the audio control is good but after a while they always go faulty IME but saying that I do have an audio control in there at the moment.