TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio: Handsfree audio problems?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by sp4rk, Jan 23, 2013.

1. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Last night I was talking to a fellow Tesla Owner (well, he's got his, I'm still waiting!) and commented on how bad the audio was. Very "tinny".

He told me he was handsfree in his car. And that it's a software / hardware bug.
    I was surprised how bad it was. Searched "these here" forums and found nothing.

Anyone else suffering from this?

2. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Nope. Most people have no idea I'm in the car.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I talked to my very skeptical mother-in-law. And she kept saying that my wife and I couldn't be in the car because the audio was so clear.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I get comments all the time how clear the audio is when using handsfree in the model S!

5. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Weird. Mine is horrible! I don't even use it anymore.

Admittedly, it's great on surface streets, but it's unusable on the highway for me.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I'm using an Iphone 4S. Wonder if that makes a difference?

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Still on iPhone 3GS and wife says I'm crystal clear on the highway and surface streets.

8. Warrenbonz

Warrenbonz Member

I'm using an iphone 5 and the sound on my hands free is unfortunately pretty poor.

9. rlawson4

rlawson4 Member

With the 4.1 update people say they cannot hear be due to background noise.

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

No complaints on any version using Samsung Galaxy....

11. dtich

dtich #P708

many have commented to me that the sound from the car over the phone is excellent. i do actually have people asking where i am and not knowing i'm in the car. in the bmw people always knew: "Hi, how are you?-- Oh, you're in the car...?" i'm on iphone 5 latest software. fwiw.

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Haven't heard that, but I'm on v4.1 and like most others on this thread people tell me the sound quality is excellent and they're surprised to hear I'm in the car. Using iPhone5 BTW.

13. nolngrgrsngslde

I was on 4.1, people had no idea i was in the car either. They always said i sounded great. The problem i have is how they sound to me. I can hardly understand what people are saying. I take conference calls from the car and i often have to disconnect the handsfree and use the speakerphone.

Today I am on 4.2 and unfortunately the problem is still there. I am using the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. A little more than a year old.

I still have not tried my phone in another car, nor did i try another phone in mine.

Can you guys describe how people sound to you when you are on handsfree.

14. nolngrgrsngslde

#14 nolngrgrsngslde, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    I tried calling people from the car via handsfree using an iPhone 4. The other person's voice sounded much better than with my Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus running android 4.1.1 on verizon.

I also tried a Samsung Galaxy S, the person I called sounded much better than when i was on the Nexus.

15. Sigma4Life

Sigma4Life Member

Using an iPhone 5 I've had no issues. The other person never realizes I'm talking via car.

16. bob_p

bob_p Member

Ran a test to compare voice quality using my Galaxy S3 both paired and unpaired with the car - calling to voice mail.

When unpaired, the audio quality of my voice was very good using the cell phone's built-in microphone.

The quality was noticeably worse going through Bluetooth to the car.

I had a similar problem with my previous car, and was able to correct the problem by adjusting the microphone settings in the car's hidden diagnostics.

Wonder if there are any settings available to fine tune the microphone in the car?

Also noticed that the voice command also has difficulty recognizing voice commands at times - perhaps that's caused by the same microphone quality problem.

Anyone else having these problems?

Going to add this to my issues list (received my car two weeks ago and waiting for Tesla service to provide the missing due bill items).

17. Jkearns97062

Jkearns97062 Member

Microphone Quality

Galaxy S3: My audio is also bad. Curiously, the voice controls are fine. Wondering if it's my phone somehow?? Considering having to use earpiece. I'd like to know if there is any tweak we could do. I'd like to know where in the car the microphone is, for that matter!

Jerry

18. DavidWexler

DavidWexler Member

Has anyone discovered the location of the mic in the S?

19. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

I just got my Model S two weeks ago and everyone I talk to on the handsfree says it sounds terrible. I'm using an Apple 4S, not that that should make any difference. I see this thread hasn't had any activity in a year, anyone else having issues with the handsfree quality?

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Some folks have had the microphone changed out and that fixed the problem. Contact ownership.