Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio input levels for different sources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have a question about audio input/output levels. The MX does remember cell phone/bluetooth level, as well as navigation volume level, and it also appears to remember an audio level. The problem I have is that there are various audio sources. So if I am listening to slacker (streaming) and my volume is set to 4, if I switch to my iPhone as the source, the podcasts/music coming from my phone are about 2-3 volume clicks lower, even if I have adjusted my phone output to the max (iPhone 7 plus). If I have the Tesla volume set for mu iPhone (right around 7) and I switch back to streaming, I get blasted out of the car by the volume.

Technically, the audio is probably considered a single input, but there are several sources, so I would think that the vehicle would remember each.

Anyone have similar issues?

RH

I have the same issue. Really scares the crap out of me when the car seems to randomly drop my cell phone connection and automatically switch to Streaming. I have cell phone set to a volume of 9 (for podcasts) and when the streaming music starts, the cabin pressure must rise by a few PSI. Could be a good addition to BioWeaponDefence mode.

I have already sent Tesla an Enhancement Request for this, but it couldn't hurt if more people joined in.

Agreed. This should be easy to manage. Yes, it's all audio, but you can hold the volume based on different audio sources, pretty much the same as holding the phone volume level vs the audio. Is there a link to send in the enhancement request? I'd be happy to submit one.

Agreed. This should be easy to manage. Yes, it's all audio, but you can hold the volume based on different audio sources, pretty much the same as holding the phone volume level vs the audio. Is there a link to send in the enhancement request? I'd be happy to submit one.
I just Email my enhancement requests to [email protected] (Speed-dial #1). They may have begun to filter my Emails into the Trash. ;)

And I too have my phone volume to max and it's still not loud enough. I have to set my car audio to at least 7, which is too loud for Streaming audio.

I just Email my enhancement requests to [email protected] (Speed-dial #1). They may have begun to filter my Emails into the Trash. ;)

And I too have my phone volume to max and it's still not loud enough. I have to set my car audio to at least 7, which is too loud for Streaming audio.
I am right there with you. Volume set right around 7 for my iPhone when it's maxed. At that level, both streaming and radio blast me out of the car. I'll send an email to [email protected] and hopefully someone will read it!

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
I am glad to know this isn't just with my X. Its really frustrating how many times I blast music with my kids in the car because when I got out of the car last I was either streaming or on a call. I have to have phone calls on full blast just to hear them, I can only imagine if I had any hearing loss whatsoever.

I also have an issue if I answer a call and am on it and then enter my tesla. They can hear me, but I can never hear them. Have to hang up and start the call over, really annoying.

The issue may be with the phone's volume. The phone's volume is an input volume to the Tesla. So if you have your phone at a high volume, it will increase the input to the Tesla--thus a louder output. I have found this issue on all my blue tooth cars. Inversely, if the phone volume is low and you compensate using Tesla's volume control, when you switch sources you may be blasted. I set my phone volume mid range and it seems to keep consistent with the other sources. On one car, I have to increase the phone's volume to be compatible with the other sources.

You all are worrying about keeping audio levels across sources. I would just be happier if it kept my source . I will be listening to USB stick or Sppotify and the next time I get in the car it is on radio. Is there a secret to keeping the source?

A little more technical information than "ick".would be helpful. I use USB music on a FOB and my (ancient) IPOD. Also have access phone's music via Bluetooth (no need or separate USB). Plugging the phone into the USB defaults to charge. Don't use Spotify so can't comment on it performance.

A little more technical information than "ick".would be helpful. I use USB music on a FOB and my (ancient) IPOD. Also have access phone's music via Bluetooth (no need or separate USB). Plugging the phone into the USB defaults to charge. Don't use Spotify so can't comment on it performance.

Spotify is really hit and miss. I spend a lot of time looking at the loading screen for the Tesla integrated Spotify. Playlists and modifications to playlists can take hours/days to show up. The UI can be clunky and slow to respond. It doesn't seem to cache any images to make the UX better. It could be that the 4GLTE up here isn't that great with AT&T. In comparison to AppleCarplay or AndroidAuto, the infotainment on the Tesla is far behind. Even my 16 S550 V4 was easier to use with any type of Apple Device with it's old wheel interface.

The good news is that this is all UI/UX and slowness can be resolved with future updates from Tesla. What it lacks in infotainment it makes up for in upgrade ability.

Spotify is really hit and miss. I spend a lot of time looking at the loading screen for the Tesla integrated Spotify. Playlists and modifications to playlists can take hours/days to show up. The UI can be clunky and slow to respond. It doesn't seem to cache any images to make the UX better. It could be that the 4GLTE up here isn't that great with AT&T. In comparison to AppleCarplay or AndroidAuto, the infotainment on the Tesla is far behind. Even my 16 S550 V4 was easier to use with any type of Apple Device with it's old wheel interface.

The good news is that this is all UI/UX and slowness can be resolved with future updates from Tesla. What it lacks in infotainment it makes up for in upgrade ability.

Interesting. Is your vehicle MCU 1 or 2?