Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio Input Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model 3 is arriving here in Korea in late June. One of the things I am most looking forward to is being able to drive around listening to music (it has been over thirteen years since I’ve owned a car). I’ve got an iPhone with Apple Music, so I’ll be able to play over Bluetooth that way, but it seems a shame to waste the stereo system using Bluetooth.

Using a USB stick is obviously an option, but that seems to be a huge pain in the ass.

Since I own a Sony Hi-def audio player (the Sony NWZ-ZX1), I was hoping to be able to use it in the car. I know that there is no aux line in, but does anyone have any experience using something like a USB DAC to plug in an audio source? It would be great to be able to use my hi-def tunes in the car.

Not a deal-breaker obviously, but it would be awesome if there was a way.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Easiest thing is just put high quality (FLAC or whatever) audio on a USB key

AFAIK you can't plug anything into the car to play music at all other than that.... most USB dacs I've seen are "plug into SOURCE via USB" and give you a headphone out, which won't help you at all.

If someone makes a device that'd plug into your Sony player and somehow make it "appear" as a dumb USB storage device to the car I guess that might work- but AFAIK that gets you nothing at all that simply using a dumb USB key won't.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the reply—that’s what I figured based on what I’ve read but I wasn’t sure. I guess I’ll have to settle for just transferring the contents of my hi-def audio player over to a USB stick and using the Model 3 itself as the hi-def audio player.

Most likely I will end up just using Apple Music for the most part because it is so convenient, but occasionally it is nice to listen to something really high quality.

Easiest thing is just put high quality (FLAC or whatever) audio on a USB key

AFAIK you can't plug anything into the car to play music at all other than that.... most USB dacs I've seen are "plug into SOURCE via USB" and give you a headphone out, which won't help you at all.

If someone makes a device that'd plug into your Sony player and somehow make it "appear" as a dumb USB storage device to the car I guess that might work- but AFAIK that gets you nothing at all that simply using a dumb USB key won't.

I opted to install a Jeda USB hub—which adds a few more USB ports and a little compartment to mount a SSD or flash drive.

I am going to put a 500 gb ssd inside, which will still leave me with four USB ports. I’ll probably partition the drive and use it for both music and Sentry footage, at least for now.

I’ve seen so many conflicting reports about what is best for Sentry storage, but I’ll try an SSD for now and switch to an endurance SD card if I have any issues.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock