TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio: Internet music options

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by chmod a+wrx, Aug 7, 2012.

1. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Forgive me if this is discussed elsewhere, but out of the box, does anyone know if the Model S will be able to access sources like Pandora, MOG or Spotify?

2. AndyM

AndyM Member

Very likely, yes. Elon Musk demonstrated the use of Slacker on Oct 1 on stage in Fremont. We have seen hints that other services may work, as well, but nothing confirmed.

3. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Very cool. Thanks.

With HD radio, internet radio and bluetooth, this should be one of the most versatile music stations on wheels!

4. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

5. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

6. AndyM

AndyM Member

7. Jrhodesmd

Jrhodesmd S Sig #371, X Prod #1143

Sadly only Slacker and TuneIn. I say sadly because having used them all, Spotify by far gives the best audio quality (320 kbps vs the other ranging from 25-128kbps). If the quality is VERY noticeable in my Chevy Avalanche, then it will be noticeable even more so in the Model S. I asked my rep about it, said that Slacker and TuneIn are all we are getting for now, and that if you want Spotify (or Mog or Pandora) you will have to stream it from your phone.

8. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I thought it had pandora? I use pandora for 192k. If not, then I'll just use my phone I guess with 4g and hotspot for browsing.

9. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'd also like to know if you can stream from the Sirius website from the Model S. I realise the car comes with Sirius/XM, but the stations I listen to are no lnoger carried on the satallite. Same question for TuneIn I guess, is it jsut the basic TuneIn (live streaming), or the enhanced version, wher you can browse for previous shows. Last question, while I'm thinking about this, is whether a VPN connection could be established from the car, as I listen to some UK channels which require a local (UK) IP address. I currently do this from my iPhone, and rarely drop the connection, so that's not a concern, but I'd like to quit using the phone for that stuff, as it's a bit of a pain when a call comes in.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Listening to BBC 3 at 320kps AAC now on TuneIn. Quality varies from stream to stream, and there are typically options as to quality.

11. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Yup, is that time shifted or live? I'm new to TuneIn, but apparently have had it at home forever (on my Sonos system), but Id like the ability to listen to earlier shows, which I can do via the iPhone app, but not via Sonos. Just wondered which option will be available in the Model S.

12. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Some of the sites use Flash, which isn't supported.

13. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

radioparadise.com is a pretty nice eclectic music channel. 192K mp3 streaming
    I usually use MOG though.

14. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

During my drive in LA we had Pandora playing. When I rode with Anoutsider, that car had Pandora as well.

15. AndyM

AndyM Member

Was that a "builtin" app, as TuneIn claims to be, or was it through the web browser (which, is not a bad thing to confirm!)
    I suppose the app could be a test version. :(

16. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I think that it was built in.

17. contaygious

They better have a pandora app coming. I don't see why there is no flash. Even my phone has full flash support.

18. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

"They" being Tesla or "they" being Pandora Media?

There are a lot of devices that don't support flash...I can understand it, but my opin......

19. contaygious

Well both! There is app support coming right? Pandora is pretty popular and I thought I read it somewhere before on the S.

20. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

I dunno......

I'd love to see a Pandora app on the Model S. It'd be great to see all sorts of music apps on the "app" page or whatever it is.

Regardless of what is available, wondering how accessible it will be while driving..,......