Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio mutes automatically!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team,

We have been having this issue for a few days wherein the audio volume goes all way down to mute for no obvious reason. Thereafter attempts to increase the volume fail as the audio keeps resetting to mute. It works after a bit but the issue keeps happening every few minutes. Really annoying!! By the way, the media being played is FM radio.

When this happens the screens (dashboard and the console) show volume as muted.

Resetting the screen did not help.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5228.JPG
    IMG_5228.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 141
Does it ever un-mute itself if you wait long enough? In the EU, they have traffic notifications that require the vehicle to automatically lower the volume to allow for the traffic notice. But once the notice is over, it's supposed to return back to your regular volume. I wonder if Tesla is introducing such a feature and just hasn't gotten it right yet.

Does it ever un-mute itself if you wait long enough? In the EU, they have traffic notifications that require the vehicle to automatically lower the volume to allow for the traffic notice. But once the notice is over, it's supposed to return back to your regular volume. I wonder if Tesla is introducing such a feature and just hasn't gotten it right yet.

It does not unmute itself and there are no such regulation in the US and in fact no such service.

It happens when playing via bluetooth as well. I do not use any other option.
If you can, insert a USB with a few songs on it and see if it happens on USB as well. It really helps to know if it is happening with all music sources, or just certain ones. If it is happening with all sources, than the issue would have to be with the amp itself, or, the mute button on the steering wheel (which I would first suspect).

yes, I am sure :)

Also please note the problem description. Once it mutes, many times the attempts to unmet fail. When trying to increase the volume, it goes to level one and then mutes again.

Sounds like it has a mind of it's own. My dome light cluster was just replaced for having a mind of its own ..could be contagious o_O

Tough to say if it's HW or SW at this point - best bet is to report it and let TM figure it out!

It sounds like the volume-down button is stuck (either the hardware button or some kind of software bug)! Probably needs a SC visit to fix.

I do think it is the HW button as it is functional otherwise and works well for other functions. The behavior does not change whether I use the physical button or the onscreen controls so definitely a SW issue.

I too am having this EXACT same issue. 2016 Model S, my second MS. I took delivery on Tuesday, and the mute thing actually happened during delivery (!) -- we solved it with a quick reboot. Thought it was just a little bug and didn't worry about it too much - this is my second MS after all. Little did I know this was going to be an ongoing issue. I have had the car three days now and have already had to reboot it 4 or 5 times to resolve the stupid volume issue. And NO, I am not mistakenly muting it myself with the track wheel. It is doing it on its own. Even more annoying, when it does it, it won't turn back up again. As sukhi describes, you can turn it up to a "1" for a split second and then it just goes right back down to completely muted. I have sent the issue to Tesla and will update if they come up with a fix other than replacing the entire center screen (as it seems they had to do for sukhi). Very annoying on a brand new $100K car!