TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Audio mutes automatically!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sukhi, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sukhi

sukhi Member

Team,

We have been having this issue for a few days wherein the audio volume goes all way down to mute for no obvious reason. Thereafter attempts to increase the volume fail as the audio keeps resetting to mute. It works after a bit but the issue keeps happening every few minutes. Really annoying!! By the way, the media being played is FM radio.

When this happens the screens (dashboard and the console) show volume as muted.

Resetting the screen did not help.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Austin

Austin Member

Does it only happen on FM Radio? Is there no issue when listening to USB, Bluetooth, etc...?

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Does it ever un-mute itself if you wait long enough? In the EU, they have traffic notifications that require the vehicle to automatically lower the volume to allow for the traffic notice. But once the notice is over, it's supposed to return back to your regular volume. I wonder if Tesla is introducing such a feature and just hasn't gotten it right yet.

4. sukhi

sukhi Member

It does not unmute itself and there are no such regulation in the US and in fact no such service.

5. sukhi

sukhi Member

It happens when playing via bluetooth as well. I do not use any other option.

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I wonder if there is some error report such as a non latch seat that is hidden behind the control panel? Or maybe just a bug. Also did you disconnect your bluetooth phone as a test too?

7. Austin

Austin Member

If you can, insert a USB with a few songs on it and see if it happens on USB as well. It really helps to know if it is happening with all music sources, or just certain ones. If it is happening with all sources, than the issue would have to be with the amp itself, or, the mute button on the steering wheel (which I would first suspect).

8. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

Are you sure you are not inadvertently pressing the steering-wheel volume up/down scroll wheel? ...mute/unmute for radio, stop/play for other media

9. sukhi

sukhi Member

yes, I am sure :)

Also please note the problem description. Once it mutes, many times the attempts to unmet fail. When trying to increase the volume, it goes to level one and then mutes again.

10. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

Sounds like it has a mind of it's own. My dome light cluster was just replaced for having a mind of its own ..could be contagious o_O

Tough to say if it's HW or SW at this point - best bet is to report it and let TM figure it out!

11. sukhi

sukhi Member

I guess so :) Among other things!

Our car is scheduled for its next trip to SC in a couple of weeks with a laundry list of issues.

12. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

It sounds like the volume-down button is stuck (either the hardware button or some kind of software bug)! Probably needs a SC visit to fix.

13. sukhi

sukhi Member

I do think it is the HW button as it is functional otherwise and works well for other functions. The behavior does not change whether I use the physical button or the onscreen controls so definitely a SW issue.

14. Critters

Critters New Member

I had this problem on my 2 day old Model X, caught it on video:

A reset (holding both buttons down on the steering wheel until it rebooted) seems to have fixed the problem.

• Informative x 1
  15. sukhi

sukhi Member

Team,
    An update on the automate issue. The SC informed me that the it was due to ghost touch signals from the MCU so they had to replace the MCU (entire central screen).

16. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Cool! (Well, inconvenient actually.) But cool! I wonder how they figured that one out.

17. sukhi

sukhi Member

It seems the logs showed multiple random screen touch signals from a portion of the screen (lower left where the volume button UI happens to be)

18. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Those are pretty darn detailed logs. PSA: don't get in an accident and blame Tesla! :p

19. allistar7

allistar7 New Member

I too am having this EXACT same issue. 2016 Model S, my second MS. I took delivery on Tuesday, and the mute thing actually happened during delivery (!) -- we solved it with a quick reboot. Thought it was just a little bug and didn't worry about it too much - this is my second MS after all. Little did I know this was going to be an ongoing issue. I have had the car three days now and have already had to reboot it 4 or 5 times to resolve the stupid volume issue. And NO, I am not mistakenly muting it myself with the track wheel. It is doing it on its own. Even more annoying, when it does it, it won't turn back up again. As sukhi describes, you can turn it up to a "1" for a split second and then it just goes right back down to completely muted. I have sent the issue to Tesla and will update if they come up with a fix other than replacing the entire center screen (as it seems they had to do for sukhi). Very annoying on a brand new $100K car!